New Bashing Changes!

Comments

• Are you sure it wasn't 308, not 380? ~308 is what it looks like to me (L3 mace, 14 str, nimble).

• Im pretty bummed, I think monk got hit too hard.. my dps is 210... Which is unreal, saying 

You are holding:
          figurine218664      a featureless ice figurine
          gem349062           a gem of cloaking
          bucket382741        a barnacle-encrusted bucket
          vial321793          an elegant diamond vial
          vial322798          an elegant diamond vial

You are wearing:
          bracelet460551      a Ceylonese bracelet
          ring384494          a ring of endurance
          ring232569          a Ceylonese ring
          girdle75658         a Girdle of the Titans
          pendant29491        a blood pendant
          wings395640         a pair of eagle's wings
          knuckles308228      brass knuckles
          amulet278204        an Amulet of the Will
          crown127017         an Intellect Crown
          talisman316938      an Aldar talisman
          collar146703        a Collar of Diablerie
    A total of 16 items were shown.

Strength: 12  Dexterity: 11  Constitution: 17  Intelligence: 13

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Sena said:

Are you sure it wasn't 308, not 380? ~308 is what it looks like to me (L3 mace, 14 str, nimble).

Unless the balance time was wrong it was 380ish. but my power went out and the notepad got closed

Zuko said:
    Im pretty bummed, I think monk got hit too hard.. my dps is 210... Which is unreal, saying 

You are holding:
          figurine218664      a featureless ice figurine
          gem349062           a gem of cloaking
          bucket382741        a barnacle-encrusted bucket
          vial321793          an elegant diamond vial
          vial322798          an elegant diamond vial

You are wearing:
          bracelet460551      a Ceylonese bracelet
          ring384494          a ring of endurance
          ring232569          a Ceylonese ring
          girdle75658         a Girdle of the Titans
          pendant29491        a blood pendant
          wings395640         a pair of eagle's wings
          knuckles308228      brass knuckles
          amulet278204        an Amulet of the Will
          crown127017         an Intellect Crown
          talisman316938      an Aldar talisman
          collar146703        a Collar of Diablerie
    A total of 16 items were shown.

Strength: 12  Dexterity: 11  Constitution: 17  Intelligence: 13

Double post but try respecing to strength. should add some boost in there.

• Sena said:

What were the speed stats of those weapons? It seems to depend on more than just the damage stat.

That's a bit weird. I only have the two sets of weapons, but happy to help with testing if you or somebody else can provide others.

About half of those tests were without nimble but looking at the numbers I don't think that has had any effect.

• edited July 2014

It would probably be helpful to see single slashes with those swords, then single slash (just to see if having chivalry matters for single slashes) and DSL with 1/1/1 practice rapiers. All at 12 strength, if possible.

• edited July 2014

Decided to try my hand at BM hunting again after not playing Cynlael for awhile... Almost a minute to kill a single mhun knight with Mir drawslashes... Meanwhile Shin burst takes like 1/3 the time.

Blademaster using magic to hunt with. Fuck this. IRE pls.

• Sena said:

It would probably be helpful to see single slashes with those swords, then single slash (just to see if having chivalry matters for single slashes) and DSL with 1/1/1 practice rapiers. All at 12 strength, if possible.

Where can I get practice rapiers from?

• The Weapons Gallery in Delos.

• i guess evDaeir said:

Evileye bleed is terrible still. Took over 20 2x bleed stares to kill a Ganeve, with multiple crits, 14 int and transcendent evileye.

i guess it is truly tiresome to stare someone so hard to hope their eyes will look somewhere and play dead. Although, i gonna agree that it might need improvement. *STARE*

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Feels so weird, since deadeye bleed bleed has been the bashing attack in Imperian for as long as I can remember :/

It's shit there, too.

• edited July 2014

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4165                                     (07/16/2014 at 16:47)  
    From   : Mortori
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Minor PvE Adjustments
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a couple of small tweaks to adjust some problems with PvE damage:

- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause non-doubleslash weapon attacks against denizens to do half damage.

- The damage done to denizens by Burst in Shindo has been decreased to bring it in line with other secondary
    hunting attacks.

Penned by My hand on the 7th of Chronos, in the year 659 AF.

Aaaaaand, just like that, BM goes from one of the top classes, to being one of the absolute shittiest. Couldn't be more glad I stopped playing Cynlael. Shin burst already had one of the slowest balances of all attacks in the game.

• No class with Mir can ever be one of the absolute shittiest :/

• Cynlael said:
    Shin burst already had one of the slowest balances of all attacks in the game.

It's the same as decay, warp, educe iron, firelash, staffcast, and (without reflexes) all metamorphosis attacks, except for the fact that a blademaster isn't going to have quick-witted (but then a lot of alchemists and apostates won't either). Being slow is one of the downsides of nearly every eq attack, probably because diadem exists.

• edited July 2014
    Anedhel said:

No class with Mir can ever be one of the absolute shittiest :/

Trans'd avoidance, Mir stance, toughness and a ~58cutting resist ringmail. Generic Vertani guard still hits me for ~800 per hit. Elite Keepers around 1700 with their dual strike. (No, not complaining. Just giving numbers for your silly statement) - Now tell me how much you get hit for as a Runewarden, on top of your DSLs doing what? Like 2.5-3x the damage a drawslash in Mir does, and at faster speeds. Lol.

Edit: My Alchemist who isn't Trans'd avoidance even bashes better than BM now. God damn some of these changes are questionable.

• edited July 2014

Edit: Nvm. Yes, life is hard.

• NimNim
    edited July 2014

Mir isn't a straight up bonus. It comes at reduced damage and attack speed. Unless you can afford to bash in Arash, you generally wanna go with Sanya (unless the damage changes has made it so Thyr's more frequent crit chances outweigh its comparative damage penalty). You'd only use Mir if you're bashing things slightly out of your league, and you want to take it nice and slowly.

Burst is an exception to that (as far as I understand, aside from Sanya's Shin gain/cost modifiers and Mir's damage resistance, stance modifiers affect only Two Arts abilities, meaning you get the damage resistance but no penalties when using Burst in Mir), and thus Mir+Burst was probably pretty great bashing during the five or so days burst was actually better than drawslash. Since it sounds like they've made it worse again, I wouldn't call that better in any fashion.

Also if you're getting into arties, there's the whole fact that blademasters can't use Shields of Absorption. I think Mir was partially meant to balance that, although bashing in Mir is going to be a less-than-ideal experience.

• Bashing for BM isn't utterly terrible right now, at least for me. Granted I do have some arties to help out.

Burst was nice those few days that it was high in damage, but low in EQ. Most of the time, when a denizen shields drawslash speed alone (assuming Mir, Sanya, Arash, or Doya) isn't fast enough to kill inside of one shield balance. Which slows down bashing. In Thyr, I was able to drawslash and use Burst as a finisher, and it was working quite nicely. I'm sure this isn't an issue as far as the mechanics go, it was just really nice to not have to fight shield for two or three rounds to get a kill. Making Burst go through shield would be fun, given it's less than appealing damage now.

I wouldn't say Mir+Burst was that good, because you were still losing speed. In Mir, I drawslash about 2.5 balance time, Burst is averaging out to a flat 4. For ever two Bursts you could have slashed three times.

Overall, it is fine the way it is now. With Mir you can still tank reasonably well, and if you can handle the damage Arash is always a fun time bashing. Blademaster isn't supposed to be knight-level tanking, and I don't believe it should be either. A bit of squishy-ness isn't a bad thing.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    edited July 2014
    Sena said:

I have some extra rapiers just laying around. but I can't get lower than 16 strength

Atalkez said:

Bashing for BM isn't utterly terrible right now, at least for me. Granted I do have some arties to help out.

Burst was nice those few days that it was high in damage, but low in EQ. Most of the time, when a denizen shields drawslash speed alone (assuming Mir, Sanya, Arash, or Doya) isn't fast enough to kill inside of one shield balance. Which slows down bashing. In Thyr, I was able to drawslash and use Burst as a finisher, and it was working quite nicely. I'm sure this isn't an issue as far as the mechanics go, it was just really nice to not have to fight shield for two or three rounds to get a kill. Making Burst go through shield would be fun, given it's less than appealing damage now.

I wouldn't say Mir+Burst was that good, because you were still losing speed. In Mir, I drawslash about 2.5 balance time, Burst is averaging out to a flat 4. For ever two Bursts you could have slashed three times.

Overall, it is fine the way it is now. With Mir you can still tank reasonably well, and if you can handle the damage Arash is always a fun time bashing. Blademaster isn't supposed to be knight-level tanking, and I don't believe it should be either. A bit of squishy-ness isn't a bad thing.

Personally I found Paladin bashing better than lv3 band Blademaster before because of how much tankier I felt, even though I dropped Con spec for strength spec.

On the other hand I was also running with 12 strength as bm usually, and mir stance before made your dps pretty bad.

Also Mir stance is only a 15%  damage reduction with runes not stacking with it to well, your better off not being in mir stance and getting runes about 100% of the time. (Blessings too :D)

Seftin said:

Why don't they just post the DPS that each class can do on the forums as part of the new changes?

To many different factors in bashing, Such as strength/int differences,weapon stats.

A Knight with Longswords is going to have a bad time compared to rapiers. (Assuming same range of stats)

Plus personally I don't find it fair for x class to be nerfed into the ground because at +3 strength artie and lv3 Class artie making it dominate when the people who don't want do drop 3600 credits into the game at the start can't pull anything.

• Caladbolg said:
    Sena said:

I have some extra rapiers just laying around. but I can't get lower than 16 strength

Atalkez said:

Bashing for BM isn't utterly terrible right now, at least for me. Granted I do have some arties to help out.

Personally I found Paladin bashing better than lv3 band Blademaster before because of how much tankier I felt, even though I dropped Con spec for strength spec.

On the other hand I was also running with 12 strength as bm usually, and mir stance before made your dps pretty bad.

Also Mir stance is only a 15%  damage reduction with runes not stacking with it to well, your better off not being in mir stance and getting runes about 100% of the time. (Blessings too :D)

Seftin said:

Why don't they just post the DPS that each class can do on the forums as part of the new changes?

To many different factors in bashing, Such as strength/int differences,weapon stats.

A Knight with Longswords is going to have a bad time compared to rapiers. (Assuming same range of stats)

Plus personally I don't find it fair for x class to be nerfed into the ground because at +3 strength artie and lv3 Class artie making it dominate when the people who don't want do drop 3600 credits into the game at the start can't pull anything.

I bash in Thyr (more critical chance) or Arash. Mir is for tanking 3+ mob rooms.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • So are knights top-tier for bashing now or what?

• Knight or bard. Serpent would be up there too, except for the fact that dex spec means sacrificing con, so they're kind of a glass cannon if you focus on offence (artefacts can fix that though).

Atalkez said:
    Caladbolg said:
    Sena said:

Atalkez said:

Seftin said:

I bash in Thyr (more critical chance) or Arash. Mir is for tanking 3+ mob rooms.

This is a little old but

Eld said:
    So I got curious about the effect of crits in translating from straight DPS to average time required to kill a thing. Caladbolg's statement above seems to be true, at least up to a point: at the low damage/high speed end, getting slower and stronger hurts up to a point, and then starts getting better again. It's all very dependent on crit rate, of course (faster attacks being more favoured at higher crit rates), and I suspect dependent enough on your damage rate compared to the health of the mob you're fighting to make it difficult to make blanket statements. Some numbers, though, spoilered to spare those who don't care:
    [spoiler]
    Assuming a denizen with 10000  max health, with a crit rate of 20% (~level 84):

250 damage at 1.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    30.39 +/- 0.14 seconds per kill

500 damage at 2.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    31.15 +/- 0.16 seconds per kill

750 damage at 3.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    33.07 +/- 0.19 seconds per kill

1000 damage at 4.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    32.02 +/- 0.20 seconds per kill

1250 damage at 5.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    31.91 +/- 0.22 seconds per kill

1500 damage at 6.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    33.81 +/- 0.23 seconds per kill

1750 damage at 7.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    34.38 +/- 0.24 seconds per kill

2000 damage at 8.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    33.01 +/- 0.24 seconds per kill

Same setup, but a crit rate of 42.5% (dragon with L1 pendant):

250 damage at 1.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    17.17 +/- 0.20 seconds per kill

500 damage at 2.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    18.96 +/- 0.23 seconds per kill

750 damage at 3.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    21.08 +/- 0.26 seconds per kill

1000 damage at 4.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    21.34 +/- 0.26 seconds per kill

1250 damage at 5.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    21.78 +/- 0.28 seconds per kill

1500 damage at 6.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    24.38 +/- 0.29 seconds per kill

1750 damage at 7.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    25.80 +/- 0.29 seconds per kill

2000 damage at 8.00 seconds per attack: base DPS 250.00
    24.85 +/- 0.29 seconds per kill
    [/spoiler]

Applied specifically to the blademaster stance question, this effect isn't large enough to make up for the difference in DPS between Thyr and Sanya, though at high levels and high damage the difference isn't nearly as large:
    [spoiler]
    10000 health denizen, 20% crit 

No band, Thyr, 12 str
    358 damage at 2.03 seconds per attack: base DPS 176.35
    43.78 +/- 0.20 seconds per kill

No band, Sanya, 12 str
    450 damage at 2.24 seconds per attack: base DPS 200.89
    39.88 +/- 0.20 seconds per kill

L3 band, Thyr, 12 str
    427 damage at 1.73 seconds per attack: base DPS 246.82
    32.01 +/- 0.17 seconds per kill

L3 band, Sanya, 12 str
    519 damage at 1.92 seconds per attack: base DPS 270.31
    29.94 +/- 0.16 seconds per kill

No band, Thyr, 14 str
    403 damage at 2.03 seconds per attack: base DPS 198.52
    39.14 +/- 0.19 seconds per kill

No band, Sanya, 14 str
    507 damage at 2.24 seconds per attack: base DPS 226.34
    34.72 +/- 0.19 seconds per kill

L3 band, Thyr, 14 str
    481 damage at 1.73 seconds per attack: base DPS 278.03
    28.05 +/- 0.15 seconds per kill

L3 band, Sanya, 14 str
    584 damage at 1.92 seconds per attack: base DPS 304.17
    26.83 +/- 0.15 seconds per kill

10000 health denizen, 42.5% crit rate

No band, Thyr, 12 str
    358 damage at 2.03 seconds per attack: base DPS 176.35
    25.73 +/- 0.31 seconds per kill

No band, Sanya, 12 str
    450 damage at 2.24 seconds per attack: base DPS 200.89
    23.48 +/- 0.29 seconds per kill

L3 band, Thyr, 12 str
    427 damage at 1.73 seconds per attack: base DPS 246.82
    19.38 +/- 0.23 seconds per kill

L3 band, Sanya, 12 str
    519 damage at 1.92 seconds per attack: base DPS 270.31
    18.28 +/- 0.22 seconds per kill

No band, Thyr, 14 str
    403 damage at 2.03 seconds per attack: base DPS 198.52
    22.84 +/- 0.28 seconds per kill

No band, Sanya, 14 str
    507 damage at 2.24 seconds per attack: base DPS 226.34
    21.23 +/- 0.25 seconds per kill

L3 band, Thyr, 14 str
    481 damage at 1.73 seconds per attack: base DPS 278.03
    17.21 +/- 0.21 seconds per kill

L3 band, Sanya, 14 str
    584 damage at 1.92 seconds per attack: base DPS 304.17
    16.61 +/- 0.21 seconds per kill

[/spoiler]

• I don't understand the huge variance in current bashing speed when the admin stated they wanted everyone to be +-5% of eachother.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

Is there a huge variance in actual DPS numbers, now? Or are you referring to the higher bashing speed of classes with more critical chances? Classes with multiple attacks (Knights, Bards, Monks, etc) are always going to bash faster on account of those criticals, even if their actual DPS is within range of everyone else. I don't really see a way to fix that unless you start modifying folks' critical chances according to their class.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • There is a huge variance in DPS numbers, primarily from artefacts (obviously) and classes that depend on weapon stats (even more obviously). Weapon-using classes (knights, bards, serpents) are generally far better than any others right now (not too hard to beat dragons even), with good weapons. Aside from those, things look pretty even.

Weapons in their current form (until the weaponry rework, whenever that's coming) will probably be problematic no matter what you do, if the goal is to make all classes have similar DPS. You can either make common weapons decent and awesome weapons overpowered, or make awesome weapons good and common weapons crappy, or make stats have such a small impact that awesome weapons are only a bit better than common weapons, all of which are problematic.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

I see. What's the general average across the board? (I haven't been reading avidly, so don't know if a table of new attacks/DPS has been posted.) As long as the variance isn't outlandishly huge, I actually don't see a terrible problem with the weapon users having an edge with awesome weapons, not because I am one, but for the simple reason that they have to shell out for them. Blademasters and Monks pay nothing for their attacks, where as Serpents, Bards, or Knights often pay 50-100k for high-end weapons. If the variance is ungodly, then I agree it could be reigned in, (My bashing does feel too good to be true at present) but on account of the resources we have to sink to get those weapons, I don't think some manner of edge or advantage is completely unwarranted.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Cynlael said:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4165                                     (07/16/2014 at 16:47)  
    From   : Mortori
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Minor PvE Adjustments
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a couple of small tweaks to adjust some problems with PvE damage:

- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause non-doubleslash weapon attacks against denizens to do half damage.

- The damage done to denizens by Burst in Shindo has been decreased to bring it in line with other secondary
    hunting attacks.

Penned by My hand on the 7th of Chronos, in the year 659 AF.

Aaaaaand, just like that, BM goes from one of the top classes, to being one of the absolute shittiest. Couldn't be more glad I stopped playing Cynlael. Shin burst already had one of the slowest balances of all attacks in the game.

You know, you could...I don't know, direct some of that hate towards me. After all, I(and Sena, but mostly me) was mainly responsible for bringing to light Burst's previous OP bashing damage. I finally found a way to finally get humans to hate me!

Now if only they will acknowledge it and finally rant against me.