Mudlet questions & answers!

Comments

• How do I get the sysIrcMessage event to work? I've added it to the event handler and created the onIrcMessage function mentioned in the technical manual. No good.
  • I actually incorporated an IRC "client" into my chat system and used it for a time, but since you can't join other rooms I switched over to an actual client.

You still need to have the window open all the time if I remember correctly, so that may be a reason?

• @Keneanung‌ window was in fact open and connected
  • Is the script with the sysIrcMessage event called "onIrcMessage"? Or is the function registered as anonymous event handler? Otherwise mudlet wouldn't know what to call on the even.

• The script was called sysIrcMessage, actually. That might be the error.
  • @Keneanung - That was the exact problem. Naming the script onIrcMessage made it work perfectly. Thanks so much!

• edited July 2014

I hate that my first post on the forums is a question this stupid, but:

I use the common tabbed chat script that I think most folks use, and all of a sudden (read: due to some user error on my part that I have yet to isolate) the font has changed to this weird, sans-serif, not-fixed-width, really hard to read font. I can't see anything in the scripts that specifies a font face for tabbed chat, and I have mudlet set to use a normal, legible monospace font (which it does, in the main console). But my comms are just wonky and hard as hell to read. Where should I be looking to fix this?

Thanks!

Edit to include screenshot:

• I exported my Achaean profile(triggers/aliases, etc) and reformatted my computer. How do I reinstall svo properly when my old profile has all my old svo files, along with the ndb, broken mapper paths, etc? Deleting my old svo folders and mapper folder in Mudlet didn't seem to work.

Aka.. how do I just re-import my triggers and aliases while leaving everything else behind? I'll start a new ndb and mapper.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited July 2014
    here my unfinished mudlet GUI - it is based on a basic geyser template. but it turned out okay for now.. beta screenshot:

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited July 2014

Hnng... Needs more stylesheets.

My, now finished, one.

• Any reason why the IRC client wouldn't connect? Or do anything for that matter? Just sits there blank…

• tried reinstalling, deleting .config, and installing 2.0. Always the same result

• Why does typing the letter Q (capital) followed by anything else highlight the word in bold and purple on my Mudlet script editor thing?

• edited August 2014

Can anyone explain the newline after the 4? There's actually a space there too, so it goes "4 \n" but I have no idea why there's a newline there. It moves around too... if I take out everything after gmcp.Room.Info.area, then the area will appear on a new line.

• I'm not sure if it should go here, but did anyone have any problems with displaying tables after installing the Blademaster limb counter? It came with a script that redid the display function to its own function, and somehow it seems to have messed up displaying tables at all. Something called "printable" was changed and now Mudlet can't do anything with it.

• yeah, just delete that script and restart mudlet

• I'm a new Mudlet convert, from Zmud.  I lost all my old settings in a computer crash, so I figured I might as well recreate it all in Mudlet.  I've spent all weekend trying to learn the new language.  I'm not a coder.  At all.  But I've got the jist for basic aliases, triggers, keys, variables, etc.  What I've spent the last day trying to figure out is a window or compartment that displays what my current target is.  I've gotten to where I can create the window/box through Geyser, change its color, location, size, etc.  But what I can't figure out is how to get my current target to display in it.  The variable name is target.  The window is Info.   Can someone help me with this?  

Thanks.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    cecho("nameofyourwindow", "<colours>"..target)

Replace nameofyourwindow with the name of your window (funnily enough) and replace colours with whatever colour in which you want to display your target. This can be omitted if you're happy to use the default colour for your window

cecho("nameofyourwindow",target)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Is there a way to name a temp timer after a variable/disable it by variable?  Not sure if this would work,  but it is my only guess:

Venom = "curare"
    [Venom]timer = tempTimer(2, [[send("hi")]])
    killTimer(venom.."timer")

Syntax could be off,  I am on my phone which is why I can't test it.   I am doubting this works,  though. 

• you can do

venom = 
      name = "curare",
      timer = nil
    }

venom.timer = tempTimer(2, [[send("hi")]])
    killTimer(venom.timer)
  • Yes. Either create a new object to hold the timers or access the Global variable using the square bracket notation:

_G[venom .. "timer"]

(Posting code on a phone is a nightmare)
  • Antonius said:
    Yes. Either create a new object to hold the timers or access the Global variable using the square bracket notation:

_G[venom .. "timer"]

(Posting code on a phone is a nightmare)
    To extend that, you'd also have to save the timer with G_[venom .. "timer"] = tempTimer(2, [[send("hi")]])
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited December 2014
    Keneanung said:
    you can do

venom = 
      name = "curare",
      timer = nil
    }

killTimer(venom.timer)
    I need to be able to make a different timer for each venom type,  depending on what is currently selected.  So in theory,  I could need a curare.timer and a asthma.timer at the same time,  and be able to disable them one at a time/check if they exist one at a time, so I am not sure I follow how to make it work in this example. 

The global version @Antonius‌ posted looks like it would work,  assuming I understand fully.  Will test when I get home.  Thank you both.

Edit: is it G_ or _G? 

• Austere said:
    Keneanung said:
    you can do

venom = 
      name = "curare",
      timer = nil
    }

killTimer(venom.timer)
    I need to be able to make a different timer for each venom type,  depending on what is currently selected.  So in theory,  I could need a curare.timer and a asthma.timer at the same time,  and be able to disable them one at a time/check if they exist one at a time, so I am not sure I follow how to make it work in this example. 

The global version @Antonius‌ posted looks like it would work,  assuming I understand fully.  Will test when I get home.  Thank you both.

Edit: is it G_ or _G? 

Whichever you want?
  • It's _G. That's where Lua stores global variables.
    edited January 2015
    Another quick question:

venom = "curare"
    _G[venom .. "timer"] = tempTimer(4, [[Venomdo()]])

After this fires,  it appears that the timer still exists, when I try to check for it.  Do temp timers not delete themselves when fired?  Is there anyway for me to completely kill the timer from inside the timer so when I check if it exists,  I know it is truly gone? Vlua curaretimer is still returning a function number even though I know it has fired

Edit: phone coding,  whee!
  • no they still exist, got to do timername = nil in the code that the timer fires
    edited January 2015

venom = "curare"
    _G[venom .. "timer"] = tempTimer(4, [[ Venomdo() _G[venom.."timer"] = nil ]])

If I do that,  I am looking at having to do something like this?

Next question would be,  is the venom variable pulled at the point the trigger is made, or when it fires? Assuming it is the point in fires,  I think I finally hit a wall in using timers of off a table. 
  • The timer doesn't exist but the variable that you assigned it to that stores the ID still exists - tempTimer doesn't actually return you the timer, but its ID.