Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Class-specific subforums

TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin

Just a quick note to let you guys know that I've gone through and added some class-specific categories to the forums! We hope that these will provide a more focused arena to ask questions and seek enlightenment about your class - enjoy!

SybillaTeshaSantarExelethrilJulesAiniaTharvisPraxidesJhaeliEiredhelTiselKyrraShibumiOrzaansynWeiMorroSarapisStunereeValaria
«1

Comments

  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 2014

    Really dislike it. Sure, the person making a topic or asking a question can go there easily enough to post their topic, but what you've failed to account for is the fact that anyone willing to answer questions will most likely not see the thread due to them being buried deep in sub-forum hell. There's so many of them - Am I really going to click on all 15-16 or whatever to scroll through topics? A lot of people that are qualified to answer questions are fluent in a good number of classes, if not all of them, while the number of people actually of a class(and inclined to visit that subforum/knowledgable enough to answer) may be virtually non-existent. This change will make threads considerably less likely to be seen/get posted in, thus denying help to the person who created it. Should've just left them all together. 

    image

    RakonWessuxAgrias
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,178 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    No Dragon category?


    Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Sarapis said:
    Don't you just hit 'recent discussions' and look through the list of recently touched discussions? That's how I peruse the forums, at least, to make sure I'm not missing anything that looks interesting.

    Then that just defeats the purpose of having categories altogether, if you're encouraging viewers to just swamp everything all together.

    image

  • JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean
    Santar said:
    Sarapis said:
    Don't you just hit 'recent discussions' and look through the list of recently touched discussions? That's how I peruse the forums, at least, to make sure I'm not missing anything that looks interesting.

    Then that just defeats the purpose of having categories altogether, if you're encouraging viewers to just swamp everything all together.

    I think Tecton is trying to create a repository.  It's less about what things look like now (and yes, I just use recent discussions) and more about what people might be looking for later.  People will hopefully reply based on recent discussions, but they'll go to a class category to look at stuff about their class.

  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    Like, for example, the Druid subforum hasn't had a post on it since October 2013. I'm sure that if someone posted a Druid question, that there are people that would be willing to reply, however, are those people going to be checking the Druid subforum regularly when there hasn't been a post in it in almost a year? Seems like a good way to stagnate that portion of the forums.

    image

  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 2014
    Jules said:
    Santar said:
    Sarapis said:
    Don't you just hit 'recent discussions' and look through the list of recently touched discussions? That's how I peruse the forums, at least, to make sure I'm not missing anything that looks interesting.

    Then that just defeats the purpose of having categories altogether, if you're encouraging viewers to just swamp everything all together.

    I think Tecton is trying to create a repository.  It's less about what things look like now (and yes, I just use recent discussions) and more about what people might be looking for later.  People will hopefully reply based on recent discussions, but they'll go to a class category to look at stuff about their class.

    If that's the case, then the ideal way to do it would be to have the topics listed in two different places: The normal combat/class discussions, then each could also be listed in a subforum of their own for people wanting to browse archived information.

    image

  • TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin
    Santar said:

    Like, for example, the Druid subforum hasn't had a post on it since October 2013. I'm sure that if someone posted a Druid question, that there are people that would be willing to reply, however, are those people going to be checking the Druid subforum regularly when there hasn't been a post in it in almost a year? Seems like a good way to stagnate that portion of the forums.

    Well, they were just the ones that got moved out of the general Matsuhama arena category. I imagine now that people know they're here and available, there will be more activity in them!

    JulesJhaeliValaria
  • JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean

    You mean put them as subforums of Matsuhama?  Yeah, that might be even better.

  • TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin

    I've adjusted their position in the tree structure, so they're all visible from the front page now too!

  • CooperCooper IowaMember Posts: 4,999 @@ - Legendary Achaean

    recent discussions isn't available on mobile, so you have to scroll past all those classes to get to some sections


    KyrraNimShara
  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tecton said:

    I've adjusted their position in the tree structure, so they're all visible from the front page now too!

    Lmao you best be joking.

    image

  • JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean
    It does push the Sewers waaaaaaaay to the bottom, too.  Well played, heh.  Even so, I like the idea of a more categorized repository, and Tecton's even taken the trouble to categorize some of the older discussions into them.  There will still be a lot of overlap (because of class vs class), but it seems like a step up.

  • SilasSilas Member Posts: 2,542 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Cooper said:

    recent discussions isn't available on mobile, so you have to scroll past all those classes to get to some sections

    Yeah it is. The link is literally just http://forums.achaea.com/discussions.


    RomSenaSybillaNim
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandMember Posts: 3,163 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 2014

    The extended page is so trippy. This is going to take ages for me to get used to! Specific class forums is kind of cool though, I guess.

    I just had a quick browse through and some of the discussions are in the wrong subforums. A thread about Druid's freeze pound is archived in the Apostate subforum, for example.

  • TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin
    Jovolo said:

    The extended page is so trippy. This is going to take ages for me to get used to! Specific class forums is kind of cool though, I guess.

    I just had a quick browse through and some of the discussions are in the wrong subforums. A thread about Druid's freeze pound is archived in the Apostate subforum, for example.

    These forums have an annoyingly imprecise drag-and-drop interface, so that's entirely likely! I'll go through and clean them up as I see them.

  • ItkovianItkovian Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited July 2014

    Paladin subforum has a long discussion on Inquisition. At least we share a skill with Priests, so it's not too inappropriate. :)

  • KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    For those ranting about the main page being too long, you can just hover over the category and click the gear icon to "Hide" the ones you don't want to see. That's what I'm doing for all classes but shaman.

    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

    Eiredhel
  • KaraiKarai Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited July 2014

    Thank you for giving people who do not know how to lazily fight a particular class, despite many weaknesses, a venue to complain and propose nerfs where lateral moves or changes elsewhere are needed. At least today wasn't all bad. My alarm went off on time--it was my fire alarm. -sigh-

    Just so I'm not being ungrateful, I do see the value in it for discussing how the class works, asking questions or just offering insight.. even going over classleads.

    Aegoth
  • JhaeliJhaeli Member Posts: 541 @ - Epic Achaean

    Contrary to some of the comments here, I am tickled by this addition and have already found an immense amount of helpful information. Thanks muchly!

    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

    HayteSynbios
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kayeil said:
    For those ranting about the main page being too long, you can just hover over the category and click the gear icon to "Hide" the ones you don't want to see. That's what I'm doing for all classes but shaman.

    That's only useful if you actually never want to see any threads in that section. Hiding a category like that also hides threads in that category when you look at recent or unread discussions.

  • EiredhelEiredhel CaliforniaMember Posts: 602
    Cooper said:

    recent discussions isn't available on mobile, so you have to scroll past all those classes to get to some sections

    Just scroll down on your phone to the bottom and click full site version. That's what I do. 

    Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

    Yae
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Eiredhel said:
    Cooper said:

    recent discussions isn't available on mobile, so you have to scroll past all those classes to get to some sections

    Just scroll down on your phone to the bottom and click full site version. That's what I do. 

    If for some reason you can't simply type in the URL (forums.achaea.com/discussions), you can get there by clicking the icon at the top right to start a new discussion, then clicking cancel, which will take you to recent discussions.


    Eiredhel
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,994 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Santar said:

    Like, for example, the Druid subforum hasn't had a post on it since October 2013. I'm sure that if someone posted a Druid question, that there are people that would be willing to reply, however, are those people going to be checking the Druid subforum regularly when there hasn't been a post in it in almost a year? Seems like a good way to stagnate that portion of the forums.

    I think the whole point of Tecton added the section, and making this announcement about it, is so that people -will- check their class related sub-sections frequently. It in no way stagnates a portion of the forum, but rather draws attention to it and encourages people to use it and be active in it, imo.



    WeiShirszaeJhaeli
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TNMember Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean

    Sweet now I don't have to type a class into the search bar to try to find old class related discussions and sorting through 500 posts that have nothing to do with that class.


    Which is highly useful for learning how a class works when you just changed and assumingly when you just start.

    JhaeliWei
  • CooperCooper IowaMember Posts: 4,999 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    So you can access the 'recent discussions' page by typing in the address or going to multiple pages in an annoying manner. I'd prefer there just be something you could click for 'recent discussions', because it's just as annoying getting to that as it is scrolling down 52 pages to bypass the class subforums.


  • YaeYae Member Posts: 307 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Cooper said:
    So you can access the 'recent discussions' page by typing in the address or going to multiple pages in an annoying manner. I'd prefer there just be something you could click for 'recent discussions', because it's just as annoying getting to that as it is scrolling down 52 pages to bypass the class subforums.
    You can just bookmark the links you want on your mobile browser's bookmarks..
    Art commissions are closed! I am (practically) dormant.   :s
    EilonaHalos
  • HalosHalos San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,462 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 2014

    just bookmark them you noob

    what Yae said

  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,723 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 2014
    Not trying to rag on Tecton or anything, but is there any way to remove that huge fuckin' block of class forums? I'm probably never going to pop in there.

    Sherazad
Sign In to Comment.