Continuing to RP worshiping dead Divine?

edited November 2012 in The Scarlattan Theatre

A question to all those whose Divine have died, are you going to continue to RP adherence to Their realm, or are you going to convert to another?

It looks very likely that Apollyon is going to go bye bye, which leaves Lodi in a bit of a predicament.

The only other Divine realm that I’m even vaguely excited by is that of Art, but that’s a no go for Lodi for obvious reasons. I could convert Lodi to Vengeance, and if the worst comes to the worst, I will. But I’d really rather not. Not that I’m one of the people who have difficulty accepting Vengeance into Evil, quite the opposite actually, it just doesn’t feel right for Lodi.

The only other option is to continue to RP as an adherent of Suffering – someone who’s experienced an Ultimate Suffering, i.e. the death of their God, or something like that.

I’m guessing many people who’s Gods aren’t dead or under threat and who are members of active divine orders will disagree with doing this. This thread, however, is more aimed at those of us who are being (or may be) directly affected by divine death.

Thoughts and opinions warmly welcomed. :)

I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

I think it might be too early to plan. I mean you can ICly plan it based on current events, but it's a dangerous road because your plan might also fail to work out.

In the long run, unless something really cool told me otherwise, I would continue to worship Shaitan/Sartan/Apollyon as a character.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Yeah, your right, it is too early to set any solid plans in stone for us ‘maybes’. I was just wondering what those who have been directly affected by divine death are planning to do. :)

I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • There would be something very admirable about continuing to follow a dead divine. Simply because Miramar is gone, for example, doesn't mean that her order couldn't make their own high clan around ensuring Justice continues to be carried out, studied, and enforced.

• That would be very cool :) Just because a God dies, doesn't mean that Their realm vanishes, imho.
  • They are Gods. They even may live again, in my opinion.
    Every day sends future to past 
    Every breath leaves me one less to my last
  • Bringing back a dead Divine would be an interesting RP story line for bereft followers to undertake.
  • Just look at Babel, while not a dead Divine it took a bunch of adventurers a really long hard struggle to bring Him about. Also you should probably be worshipping the realm in my opinion, not the Divine Itself (always has been my opinion) and because Apollyon goes doesn't mean immediately all suffering in the realm is alleviated.

If Neraeos goes, (and I'm not going to be one of those 'My Divine won't go, no way!', I am preparing for worst case scenario) Tahquil is still going to be a child of the Seas, she's still going thank the seas for supporting her and support them in her own way as she has been doing since that day Neraeos popped on board the Black Sail and was like "Hey there, you should totally be one of my priestess you practically breath the sea anyway.(paraphrased)".

That's my plan anyway.
  • edited November 2012
    Just you watch yourself, @Lodi. If Lord Shaitan dies, and Lord Apollyon continues to live, He will give your character the permanent lurgies for daring to question His existence.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • edited November 2012
    @Beya Ha! Indeed.

"You suddenly sneeze violently, embarrassingly spraying snot everywhere.

You having been cursed by Lord Apollyon with a mild but never ending cold, the ultimate Suffering."

@Vasool Yes please! As long as I can keep my current Order rank that is. :D Sartan returning would be awsome.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I would say worshiping a divine realm would be more logical than continuing to worship a fallen god. There is some precedents for worshiping realms before and after there was a god to represent them. I think it makes less sense to worship a deceased god, but there is precedent for that too as mention, the Caspiites. However, they are far from sane.
  • I'd be worshiping Suffering and Lord Apollyon, that goes without saying. :)
  • Sartan vs Shallam rasslefest.
  • edited November 2012
    Beya said:

Of course, ... All hail Lord Bathmat!

Actually snorted.
    Tvistor said:
    Achievement Unlocked : Made A God Feel Guilty.
  • I so hope Apollyon doesn't get kicked. The Order and the Temple are just incredibly cool and add an entirely different flavor to Mhaldor.
    I don't really see Apollyon's death as that inevitable from these events, though. Clearly -something- is going to happen and the Twin Lords are going to get smacked down majorly in some way, but I don't know what that something is.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Don't stand on any mountains when Lord Phaestus is around, is all I'm saying.

Back to the original topic, I think it's very noble to keep worshipping the realm of your dead Divine. If there are enough of you, a new Divine might fill that role. You never know.

On the flip side, you may be doing it for a great many years.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • It would make sense, for Prythe, to continue to honor the tenets which led her to her God/dess in the first place. Eventually there might be One who could replace, but there would have to be a fit. 

While not the same as a dead God/dess - I worshiped a generally and almost always dormant God/dess for most of my life. As events further shaped me and my world, I came upon a God/dess who stood for all in which I had ever believed. The transition seemed quite natural, but difficult. "Reject" after almost ten real life years.... even for a dormant God/dess - not easy.

I couldn't be happier however with this still newer experience of a vibrantly active God/dess and Order.

That said, even with my devotion to my current (I am not being coy, just do not believe that the point should be lost in the naming of Names) I still retain quite a deal of affection for my old God/dess and roleplay that lingering fondness and respect as I am able.

---------------------------

All right, will have to quote myself on this one ---> 

Prythe says, "You can take the Prythe out of the Mischief, but you can't entirely take the mischief out of the Prythe."

Something I am heard to say, or similar, whenever I am particularly .... non-serious. :)

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• What if we use a scalpel?
  • Well, sorry to be the voice of the minority, but I think my final verdict of 'worshipping dead gods' is going to be much the same as 'worshipping absent gods", to whit: Mad props to anybody who is deeply entrenched enough in RP to do it but... damned if I'll be pouring time into it.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I/Cooper never truly worshipped Miramar, just the idea that she embodied. So in that sense nothing will really change, although I will probably be orderless for quite some time.

• Cooper said:
    ...I will probably be orderless for quite some time.
    Cooper -> Ashtan? :P
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I chose an Order based on the fit of the realm, not a personal connection to the Divine (which would be difficult anyway, seeing as that Divine role has been more inactive than not over the years).  If it should perish, I would most likely look around for a more active Order to join.
  • edited November 2012
    Matsuhama's Order had a total of 10 people in it, 3 of which were dormant when it ended. At no point was there ever more than 6 active at once. As such, Rean got a lot of attention from Matsuhama. I appreciate that both OOC and IC. I can't see Rean joining another Order with the current situation; if anything, he'd start a high clan. Rean is loyal to both Matsuhama and the realm, for sure. 

As a side note: thing with people worshiping Babel before he was back was Babel was never ... dead. He was just imprisoned, right? 
  • I think RP-worshipping a dead divine is far more RP-intensive than RP-worshipping a dormant divine. Shows dedication, and true adherence to the divine's tenets.
  • It is a bit of a problem in Mhaldor on the other hand, because you require an Order to ever work in leadership. Seeing as that would exclude myself, Jurixe, Antidas and some others (assuming Keresis leaves me alone with these people :( ), that cuts the Naga off from literally every potential active HL candidate.

On the first hand, Katia was not eligible because of that requirement, so I can see the appeal of it.
  • Embrace Suffering.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."