Intelligence on Jester

I recently switched out of my class as Occultist (I couldn't get to Xylthus without dying... died four times though trying), the other class I was choosing between the two was Jester... However I have already chosen my specialization to be extra intelligence, along with my trait to be intelligence (and have already reincarnated).

I'm guessing that intelligence is like paper-weight for a Jester and if I want a jester I should just have a new character? That wouldn't be a huge issue at all, I just want to know if it's required. I was assuming that Jesters wants either Constitution or Dexterity.

As an in-between class I'm currently sitting on Magi to fill the gap, and it seems like my bashing is ridiculously slow, haha.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Tesha said:

If you're unable to reincarnate, Shaman is a better pick than Jester and is better at bashing (I think). It has vodun in common, and is strong in combat, too. You should consider it if you're not really wanting to start a new character. Unless you do want to start a new character in a different city or something, then go ahead!

Shaman? Didn't even consider that. I actually like the tarot cards despite how gimmicky they are... And unfortunately, I misread one of the words in the test I was taking for Occultism so that was a bust (though entirely my fault)... So now I need a different class. I didn't realize Shamans were similar to Jesters at all. I heard shamans and alchemists were both kind of bad at everything, alchemist because it's new... How true is that?

Also, my race is Atavian (I know, I guess I'm boring), but races don't have a giant impact on gameplay anymore do they?

And what I gather there is that intelligence is, indeed, useless as a Jester in the end?

• Jester wasn't the best choice if you wanted to hunt. Even a monk with high intelligence is useful. (Transmute) But fool and priestess are useful too. I personally do not like Jester hunting. Lol.

• Naah said:

Jester wasn't the best choice if you wanted to hunt. Even a monk with high intelligence is useful. (Transmute) But fool and priestess are useful too. I personally do not like Jester hunting. Lol.

I actually wanted Jester for the roleplay, as a sort of shady clown deal... But if the bashing/hunting is really that bad, I'm not sure how interested I'd be. Fool came in a lot of handy, priestess didn't for me (yet). I also liked hermit, (this is on Occultist, I mean).

Shaman is an uncommon class though, and I have enough trouble as it is finding people to let me put my lessons to use... I heard Alchemists can get to trans by NPC tutors, which seemed helpful.

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited July 2014

Shamans are bad at everything?

I do great hunting as a Shaman, fastest hunting around next to maybe a monk. I also killed like 3 people in a rampage last night. I wouldn't say they were bad at everything... they just take longer to learn and are unforgiving if you make a mistake!

Ironically I was also an Alchemist and still have an alt that is one too! The hunting is good on the alchemist, it's not bad at all as it -seems- you hit really hard. Although could be because I was empowered with Ethian. Alchemist combat isn't bad IMO either, probably easier than shaman combat.

• edited July 2014
    Achimrst said:

I do great hunting as a Shaman, fastest hunting around next to maybe a monk. I also killed like 3 people in a rampage last night. I wouldn't say they were bad at everything... they just take longer to learn and are unforgiving if you make a mistake!

Oh I should make it clear that those certainly aren't my words, just something I heard. The only reason I jumped into Magi was because I considered the Merchant house, which unfortunately doesn't accept any classes I really have interest in.

Why are Shamans so good at hunting?

• Stuneree said:
    Achimrst said:

Oh I should make it clear that those certainly aren't my words, just something I heard. The only reason I jumped into Magi was because I considered the Merchant house, which unfortunately doesn't accept any classes I really have interest in.

Why are Shamans so good at hunting?

Swiftcurse, that is the best reason why.

• curse bleed (especially in combination with the nimble trait and swiftcurse ability) is incredibly fast, something like .9 second balance maybe? So you attack and kill things pretty rapidly. The drawback is that you burn through willpower really really fast, so it's better for hunting in short bursts, rather than sustained hunting.

• I would need someone to tutor me up to Swiftcurse... I have a bit of a fear of joining houses at the moment, but obviously I guess it's necessary and I should suck it up.

Can a Jester teach vodun to a Shaman?

I'm really not enjoying this whole "channel elements" gimmick on Magi. It's not as much the difficulty as it is just really clunky to me.

As for the topic of Alchemist, would my Brilliance trait and intelligence-based specialization conflict with that? And is it true that Alchemists can learn purely from NPCs?

• If you're just focused on hunting, your setup would be fine for alchemist, and yes, they can learn their class skills to trans from an npc, granted, you need to be part of a city that has one to learn from them, I believe (so anywhere except Eleusis). 

• Shunsui said:

If you're just focused on hunting, your setup would be fine for alchemist, and yes, they can learn their class skills to trans from an npc, granted, you need to be part of a city that has one to learn from them, I believe (so anywhere except Eleusis). 

I wouldn't be able to learn from Tyrandiel in New Thera? I miss Mhaldor and am still on and off about it, but I'll still wait before I choose my city again... I just don't want to hinder the game and playerbase altogether by playing as a rogue for too long.

• Stuneree said:
    Shunsui said:

If you're just focused on hunting, your setup would be fine for alchemist, and yes, they can learn their class skills to trans from an npc, granted, you need to be part of a city that has one to learn from them, I believe (so anywhere except Eleusis). 

I wouldn't be able to learn from Tyrandiel in New Thera? I miss Mhaldor and am still on and off about it, but I'll still wait before I choose my city again... I just don't want to hinder the game and playerbase altogether by playing as a rogue for too long.

Alchemists do great with intellect for hunting, you will hit harder definitely. Yet you do need a city to be an alchemist, all of your skills are attacked to your city's anchor and laboratory.

• edited July 2014
    Achimrst said:
    Stuneree said:
    Shunsui said:

Alchemists do great with intellect for hunting, you will hit harder definitely. Yet you do need a city to be an alchemist, all of your skills are attacked to your city's anchor and laboratory.

So if I got kicked out/left a city for whatever reason after embracing Alchemist, would I lose %50 of my lessons spent?

It's very unfortunate that Alchemists aren't accept in the Merchants house. I'd be all over that. 

Is it really possible to be a trader/merchant when you're not in the official house?

Also, this may sound like the stupidest question, but: After hitting maybe level 80-85, you've already got your lessons (5x85), and purchased the 2000 for $20.00, where does one obtain lessons to Trans the rest of their stuff? Would it be bashing for gold to buy credits?

• Yeah you lose it all, you can always join another city though!

• Stuneree said:
    Achimrst said:
    Stuneree said:
    Shunsui said:

So if I got kicked out/left a city for whatever reason after embracing Alchemist, would I lose %50 of my lessons spent?

It's very unfortunate that Alchemists aren't accept in the Merchants house. I'd be all over that. 

Is it really possible to be a trader/merchant when you're not in the official house?

Also, this may sound like the stupidest question, but: After hitting maybe level 80-85, you've already got your lessons (5x85), and purchased the 2000 for $20.00, where does one obtain lessons to Trans the rest of their stuff? Would it be bashing for gold to buy credits?

There are tons of people who are merchants without belonging to the house. Every city has individuals who I would consider merchants although they belong to the Naga or whatever.

Bashing for gold to buy credits would be one way or just buy credits online with real life money. You could win the credits through the Bardic competitions or any other legitimate way to earn credits.

• edited July 2014

@Achimrst‌ What I mean is do I permanently lose the lessons I spent, like how if I change classes I lose 50% of the lessons... Would I lose 50% of my lessons off of my character if I left the city?

@Zhyrios And that works then. I'll eventually spend more money on the game for sure. I just didn't know if that was the intended method for lessons or if I was missing something.

Thanks everyone. :)

• If your a Mhaldorian Alchemist and you are kicked out of Mhaldor. You will still be able to use the abilities that you don't need a laboratory for. You will lose 50% of your lessons if you quit being an Alchemist and go to Jester and embraced your class though. You should never embrace a class if you plan on leaving it soon or are just testing. I use test alts to test classes!

• Achimrst said:
    If your a Mhaldorian Alchemist and you are kicked out of Mhaldor. You will still be able to use the abilities that you don't need a laboratory for. You will lose 50% of your lessons if you quit being an Alchemist and go to Jester and embraced your class though. You should never embrace a class if you plan on leaving it soon or are just testing. I use test alts to test classes!

So I only actually lose lessons if I leave the class, not the city? I don't want to have 2000 lessons and lose half of them just because I left the city.

• You lose nothing from leaving a city, other than citizenship, city language, maybe your pride, and the ability to learn from the city Alchemist and use the city laboratories. Which half your skills are dependent on btw. Yet you don't lose any actual lessons or anything unless you quit class after embracing class.

• Achimrst said:

You lose nothing from leaving a city, other than citizenship, city language, maybe your pride, and the ability to learn from the city Alchemist and use the city laboratories. Which half your skills are dependent on btw. Yet you don't lose any actual lessons or anything unless you quit class after embracing class.

Oh, okay I see. Well I appreciate the answers then, everyone. As always, the Achaean community never fails to provide the answers that are more difficult to find IC.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited July 2014
    Stuneree said:
    Naah said:

Jester wasn't the best choice if you wanted to hunt. Even a monk with high intelligence is useful. (Transmute) But fool and priestess are useful too. I personally do not like Jester hunting. Lol.

I actually wanted Jester for the roleplay, as a sort of shady clown deal... But if the bashing/hunting is really that bad, I'm not sure how interested I'd be. Fool came in a lot of handy, priestess didn't for me (yet). I also liked hermit, (this is on Occultist, I mean).

Shaman is an uncommon class though, and I have enough trouble as it is finding people to let me put my lessons to use... I heard Alchemists can get to trans by NPC tutors, which seemed helpful.

I think you're leaning toward alchemist at this point, but as a someone's who has played shaman for a very long time, here's my two cents.

Shamans are actually pretty prevalent in Achaea these days. You can find them in Ashtan, Eleusis, Hashan (though not as many) and then as rogues (no city/no House). As a result, it is pretty easy to find a tutor.

There is the Shamans Clan too; we try to induct all new members of the class when we see them on Classwho. It's a place you can find a tutor to teach you lessons, ask questions, etc. 

Shaman is awesome for hunting. I consistently placed in the top 10 of Great Hunts before I became a dragon and I owe all those yummy credits to the quick pace at which shamans bash. For the willpower drain, you can get a megalith tattoo. Also, there is usually some nice forestal who will give/sell you a grove rain to help regenerate it at a quicker rate than simply meditating. 

Combat-wise shaman is awesome as well. Very agile. We have a fair amount of strategies to use if we want to engage in combat 1v1 and we've become a little more useful damage-wise in group stuff too since inflame was introduced.

The best thing about this class though is its roleplay. From medicine women to witchdoctors and straight up shamanic practitioners there is every flavor of shaman imagineable represented in the villages of Sapience and Meropis. If you get in with the right group of people, you can have a lot of fun with this and that is, after all, what Achaea is all about! 

P.s. Shaman group hunting - now that is where it's at! Right @Achimrst? :smile: 

• Thank you, Bleuf. It's obviously difficult to be choosing between so many in-depth classes, heh.

I appreciate the responses though.