Best leveling class

What class do you think would have the easiest time getting to dragon with no credits? Are there any items or buffs I should be seeking out before I go out hunting to increase my damage or survivability?

Comments

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    At this moment, monk.

• How does arteless monk compare to arteless runewarden or infernal? 

• At the moment, most people say Monk (as always) or Blademaster. Maybe knight classes, heard Bard is actually pretty decent.

• Artied or not, monk has the best damage output of any class. Shaman isn't too far behind monk in offense, but assuming the monk also has runes, shaman is a lot less tanky (cheap, near-permanent runes do make a big difference though).

Knights are harder to compare, because they depend so heavily on weapon stats. Weapons can also get very expensive, on par with artefact costs in the long run, so you could be spending hundreds of credits and still be artefact-less (people rarely do that just for bashing though). They can't come close to monk damage, but it's a lot easier to stay alive. With good weapons, I'd probably put runewarden in the top 5 bashing classes.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN

According to my testing a 84/241 was doing about 309-311ish dps with 20 strength.

As far as damage goes artie monk did about 350-360ish

Blademaster (with level 3 band in arash) was doing about 307 dps (but only 12ish strength)

After stances we're fixed to correctly with denizens bm bashing took a major hit imo and knocked them down further.

As far as bashing goes (as of right now of course) Monk takes the top spot by a mile.

Shaman while good does run willpower down heavily. Just cursing so while there damage is high you will have to regen willpower more than other classes.

Bm is all around good, but crappy defense kinda sets them down a notch imo (Also Mir doesn't stack with runes or bearly stacks with runes now so the defensive capibilitys Blademaster has bashing was also nerfed)

Runewarden is going to be the top of the knights since you can't rune other weapons now. and Runes make a -huge- difference in your dps output. Also high armor helps mitigate that damage.

Paladin for the record can drop rite of revit to allow you some bonus healing in there (Makes it ALOT easier to take groups in the same room or those harder hitting mobs) but there damage is going to be lacking compared to a runewarden.

If I had to suggest for right now, i'd say go Monk or Knight personally, But overall I'd suggest Runewarden, Weapons are not hard to get at all honestly. Sure your amazing omg wtf bbq sauce rapiers are expensive but you don't really need to be dsling .1 or .2 seconds faster just for bashing. Having runes all the time makes your life 10 times easier, and runeblades also make up for the lack of stats on weapons. (by alot)

and honestly I think unartied monk vs unartied runewarden would likely come up very close on damage. with your standard 50k/100k rapiers (about 15-20 credits)

But again that's as of right now for unartied bashing, the logos has spoken and in two weeks monk might be at the bottom of the totem pole with runewarden and Apostate might be at the top for all we know!

• 1) Monk
    2) Bard
    3) Runewarden

• What are the runes you guys keep talking about? Are these artifacts or items I can buy in game to make me stronger?

• edited June 2014
    Do note the 'no credits' part of the OP... That would make Monk extremely unfeasible, until the 90s where credits are rather abundant from bashing. Enjoy 0 endurance in 30 minutes of bashing...

I'd say Runewarden, personally.

• edited June 2014
    Tanae said:
    What are the runes you guys keep talking about? Are these artifacts or items I can buy in game to make me stronger?

They're a kind of buff you can receive from other players. The three bashing runes are jera (+1 str/con), algiz (good damage resistance), and berkana (health regen). They make a huge difference when it comes to staying alive and being able to handle tougher denizens, and for strength-using classes they increase your damage a bit too.

Edit: They can be sketched by shamans and runewardens, jera lasts 2 hours, algiz and berkana last 1 hour. If you have a citymate/friend who can do them, you can often get them for just the cost of the inks (1 purple for jera, 1 green for algiz, 3 yellow for berkana).

• Sena said:
    Tanae said:
    What are the runes you guys keep talking about? Are these artifacts or items I can buy in game to make me stronger?

They're a kind of buff you can receive from other players. The three bashing runes are jera (+1 str/con), algiz (good damage resistance), and berkana (health regen). They make a huge difference when it comes to staying alive and being able to handle tougher denizens, and for strength-using classes they increase your damage a bit too.

Ah okay thank you. Is there anything else similar to this I should be trying to get before hunting to incrase my damage or survivability? No matter how basic or innate it may seems cause I might just not know about it yet. Also are there any items similar to the Amulets or Orbs from aetolia I can get here?

• I don't know what Aetolia's amulets and orbs do.

If you're friendly with Targossas, you can get toughness from priests and paladins, which gives decent resistance to cutting damage, and blessings from priests which give cutting/blunt/fire/cold resistance and increased endurance/willpower recovery.

If you're in a city other than Eleusis, you can get an astronomy blessing from an alchemist, which can give various benefits (chosen by the city's alchemists each IG year), either health regen, mana regen, end/will regen, or a 10% damage bonus against denizens. If you're in Eleusis (or cityless but in Oakstone or a forestal house), you can get a similar buff from a druid or sylvan, which can be any of the astronomy effects or increased frost/venom elixir effectiveness.

There are some other things, but they'd require someone to be following you around to constantly reapply the buff. There are also occasional promotional items with a limited number of uses that can give some bonus (usually increased crit rate or experience gain).

• Ah. The amulets costs 15k each and do things like +1 all stats, sip bonus, crit chance, extra damage things like that and last around 15 days or so. The orbs are items that give similar buffs and have a limited number of uses.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen

Even without an endurance ring, I'd not run out of endurance as monk. I'd bash for 2 hours straight, and my endurance would only hit maybe 1/4th. I'd stop, go chill in ashtan and sleep it off for 10 mins or more, then back out for 2 more hours of bashing.

• I have too much free time, so I put together a list of unartied DPS rankings for every class. This doesn't tell you which class is best overall, but it gives a pretty good idea of which class kills denizens the fastest.

It assumes 12 str/int (unless there's a class ability that increases it, which will be noted), no nimble or quick-witted, no artefacts (except for the next sentence). For forged weapons, since there's a huge amount of variation, I used artefact weapons instead, to give you an idea of the high end (level 3 artefacts) and low end (level 1). I used rapiers for knights/bard and lashes for serpent, since those give the highest DPS. I ignored accuracy, ignored endurance/willpower usage, and ignored the fact that strength-using classes have an advantage in jera (since it gives extra strength). It assumes trans in any relevant skills (which includes weaponry for knights).

Dragon: 357 at 16 strength, since that's base dragon strength
    Monk: 255 in scorpion stance
    Shaman: ~240 with optimal swiftcursing, 140 without swiftcurse.
    Bard: 217 with level 3, 190 with level 1
    Serpent: 198 with level 3, 143 with level 1
    Runewarden: 182 with level 3, 153 with level 1
    Blademaster: 180 in Sanya, 135 in Mir, 209 in Arash
    Paladin: 162 (~182 with inspiration) with level 3, 135 (~151 with inspiration) with level 1
    Sylvan: 168 (with the int bonus from viridian)
    Druid/Sentinel: 167 with reflexes, 125 without reflexes
    Infernal: 162 with level 3, 135 with level 1
    Jester: 160
    Occultist: 136 (160 if you can get a +3 int mog)
    Alchemist: 136
    Apostate: 136
    Priest: 121 (136 with inspiration)
    Mage: 115 with staffcast, ~311 if you're hitting 3 targets with stormhammer

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Purely out of my own sense of curiosity, about what would a priest be with a level 3 mace?

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Will those numbers be drastically lower without the artifact weapons? I honestly really wish I could afford artifacts but I have insane medical bills unfortunately. Gotta stick with what I can obtain through in game means.

• edited June 2014
    Tanae said:

Will those numbers be drastically lower without the artifact weapons? I honestly really wish I could afford artifacts but I have insane medical bills unfortunately. Gotta stick with what I can obtain through in game means.

Artefact weapons aren't inherently better than forged weapons. For something like rapiers, which are probably the most common weapon, it's not too rare to find a forged rapier that's better than a level 3 artefact. And level 1 artefact weapons are actually pretty poor, the equivalent of a cheap forged weapon that a newbie might use when they can't afford expensive gear. Whips, on the other hand, aren't forged nearly as much and a lot of people don't even realise that whip stats matter, so it's unlikely you'll ever find a forged whip as good as a level 3 lash. It's possible, though.

Melodie said:

Purely out of my own sense of curiosity, about what would a priest be with a level 3 mace?

185, 208 with inspiration.
  • Okay. Thanks so much for taking the time to lay this stuff out for me Sena.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida

It is absolutely insane how much a mace makes a difference for a priest, so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Sena said:
    Tanae said:

Will those numbers be drastically lower without the artifact weapons? I honestly really wish I could afford artifacts but I have insane medical bills unfortunately. Gotta stick with what I can obtain through in game means.

Artefact weapons aren't inherently better than forged weapons. For something like rapiers, which are probably the most common weapon, it's not too rare to find a forged rapier that's better than a level 3 artefact. And level 1 artefact weapons are actually pretty poor, the equivalent of a cheap forged weapon that a newbie might use when they can't afford expensive gear. Whips, on the other hand, aren't forged nearly as much and a lot of people don't even realise that whip stats matter, so it's unlikely you'll ever find a forged whip as good as a level 3 lash. It's possible, though.

Melodie said:

185, 208 with inspiration.

As far as artifact weapons go they usually have ALOT of to hit, but throwing away slightly lower damage with same speed as a level 3 rapier was something I was doing often.

• Yeah, I should clarify that it's not possible for a forged rapier to have higher total stats than a level 3 artefact rapier. But it's possible to get much higher in one or two stats. Level 3 rapiers have high enough to-hit that you could sacrifice a lot for more damage or speed.

• Cynlael said:
    Do note the 'no credits' part of the OP... That would make Monk extremely unfeasible, until the 90s where credits are rather abundant from bashing. Enjoy 0 endurance in 30 minutes of bashing...

This is what I was thinking. Not arguing that monk isn't a great bashing class, I just wonder if runewarden/infernal tankiness and mitigation wouldn't serve the unartied better. Able to bash higher level areas at lower levels, etc.
    Jacen said:
    Cynlael said:

This is what I was thinking. Not arguing that monk isn't a great bashing class, I just wonder if runewarden/infernalpaladin tankiness and mitigation wouldn't serve the unartied better. Able to bash higher level areas at lower levels, etc.

Fix'd!

• Sarapis said:

I can tell you that we're in the process of reviewing the bashing capabilities of every class, and changes are going to be made, so whatever answers you get now might not be relevant in a few weeks or less. I realize that's not very helpful to you right now, but just wanted to let you know!

@Sarapis, in few weeks or less? I will keep watching this thread or new thread that is relevant to my interest. :) I'm watching.  B)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Jacen said:
    Cynlael said:

This is what I was thinking. Not arguing that monk isn't a great bashing class, I just wonder if runewarden/infernal tankiness and mitigation wouldn't serve the unartied better. Able to bash higher level areas at lower levels, etc.

Got to admit I feel less tanky as a Runie with full plate and runes than I did as a monk (even without runes). The ability to kill things quicker means you don't need to be as tanky and the fact that you have mana to transmute which increases your life total also helps.

My goal as monk against painful denizens was just to get the denizen to shield before I hit 0 mana and 2000 health. Because if they shielded I bought time to heal up and then just kill it when the next attack came.

• WessuxWessux Chattanooga

I miss runewarden hunting. As infernal I feel I'm made of paper, but vigour and frenzy can help take out large targets or large numbers of targets. 

Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • So magi is literally the worst bashing class.

• No collar and with 12 int and staffcasting, sure. Considering they can become very tanky and benefit hugely from Int both offensively and defensively, then it's definitely case by case. That Serpent DPS you see is literally the highest they can get ever.

Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • So with 19 int and a collar, I do like way more than that list says?