Ridicule is motivation!

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen

Gonna post these, in hopes you never do crossfit.

and last one.

• How do you know if someone does crossfit?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

If you're a vegan that does crossfit, what do you tell people first?

• Depends, are you from Texas or not?

• So this crossfit... it makes you super saiyan?

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

It makes you Krillin @Seftin

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:

It makes you Krillin @Seftin

Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Uh. Why not both? 

Personally, I find crossfit to be more rewarding and useful, but to each his own. I'm no professional, so I won't say one's better than the other. I did, however, know a lot of guys who were in phenomenal shape from weight lifting who switched to crossfit and said it was way better. So perhaps it's worth looking into. Of course, they had the HITT center on base which doesn't limit you to the WOD for that specific gym, so they may have went above and beyond. Ayways, like I said, of the two, I enjoy crossfit type exercises more, and I just throw in some weight training with it.

Best of luck though, nothing better than being in shape. And the hell with running. It has its uses, but there are more effecient ways to spend your time.

• Loved P90X when I was on it awhile back for about a month. Was working out with a group of four guys, so we all pushed pretty hard. I lost 15 pounds in a month. Unfortunately, I just can't get that motivation back when working out with my girlfriend. Sucks, cuz I've got a lot of weight to lose.

I've tried Crossfit. I never went back to that shit. Within 10 minutes of it all starting? i saw so many gymsins it's not even funny. I'm -amazed- these retards don't fucking kill themselves the way they violently flop around with weights.

Seriously. Crossfit is idiotic.

• Been doing Crossfit for 5 years. Has good points, has bad points. Too many of each to go over, but I mitigate the parts I view as bad (kipping pull-ups, heavy olympic lifts for time, etc) by just not doing them. I know about 2 out of 3 Crossfit coaches have no idea what they're talking about and are just reasonably in-shape people who took a weekend course that you're practically guaranteed to pass, so a few years into Crossfit I just decided that my judgment is better than theirs when it comes to my body, and I'll decide what I'm going to do.

So I just end up subbing all the shit that I think is stupid. In any case, the Crossfit gym I go to is the only gym in my area where I can work out with free weights and rowing machines and a prowler and such outside all year round. Does that mean I don't really do Crossfit anymore, but just work out at a Crossfit-branded gym? Possibly.

....One, did Sarapis just say shit? I've never heard him curse. Interesting. And Two.... Did Sarapis just admit to doing Crossfit? Oh God. @Mithridates I need more lulzy crossfit pictures for this or something. Pls halp bring him to the world of lifting.

kidding mostly.

• Sarapis said:

Been doing Crossfit for 5 years. Has good points, has bad points. Too many of each to go over, but I mitigate the parts I view as bad (kipping pull-ups, heavy olympic lifts for time, etc) by just not doing them. I know about 2 out of 3 Crossfit coaches have no idea what they're talking about and are just reasonably in-shape people who took a weekend course that you're practically guaranteed to pass, so a few years into Crossfit I just decided that my judgment is better than theirs when it comes to my body, and I'll decide what I'm going to do.

So I just end up subbing all the shit that I think is stupid. In any case, the Crossfit gym I go to is the only gym in my area where I can work out with free weights and rowing machines and a prowler and such outside all year round. Does that mean I don't really do Crossfit anymore, but just work out at a Crossfit-branded gym? Possibly.

So you do calisthenics and HIIT?

Crossfit is characterized by fast-paced Oly lifting, for the most part.  And that's the part that it's most ridiculed for.  As an Oly lifter, I think it's pretty stupid when I see a bunch of Crossfitters giving me the stink-eye because I can lift more than they can, or they don't think I'm doing form right.  Crossfitter's attitude is that they're better than everyone else. 

• Tried doing these 'jumping jacks' - tectonic shifts occurred. The humans were not pleased. 

• So update so far:

2nd workout -

half mile warmup - 6.5 degree incline - 6 minutes

squats - 60kg - 5 x 5

Overhead Press - 30kg - 5 x 5

Deadlift - 40kg - 1 set of 8

1 mile run

food -

AM toast with marmite (2 slices, wholemeal)

Banana

Lunch - Chicken + pasta

PM - Salmon fishcake, handful of brown rice, kale with garlic

Next update will be after the next 3 workouts - only posting what I eat on the day of training, the rest of the time is similar - just toast in the morning (poached egg on toast today) banana, then chicken or some such at lunch and kale in the evening with something.

• I'm getting a pretty good chuckle out of the CF hate. It's just like anything else. You can snap your shit up if you're an idiot, but take a reasonable approach focusing on form and listening to your body and you will see results. 

Seft, good on you. Keep it up. Remember it hurts more to get back into shape than to stay in shape. 

• Seftin said:

bench - 40kg

Do you even lift man WTF?

This is the first, final, and only stat that matters on your post, and it's horrendously low. How about you stop eating cheeseburgers and start draining some protein shakes and hitting the gym, fatty.

• Sarapis said:

Been doing Crossfit for 5 years. Has good points, has bad points. Too many of each to go over, but I mitigate the parts I view as bad (kipping pull-ups, heavy olympic lifts for time, etc) by just not doing them. I know about 2 out of 3 Crossfit coaches have no idea what they're talking about and are just reasonably in-shape people who took a weekend course that you're practically guaranteed to pass, so a few years into Crossfit I just decided that my judgment is better than theirs when it comes to my body, and I'll decide what I'm going to do.

So you do calisthenics and HIIT?

Crossfit is characterized by fast-paced Oly lifting, for the most part.  And that's the part that it's most ridiculed for.  As an Oly lifter, I think it's pretty stupid when I see a bunch of Crossfitters giving me the stink-eye because I can lift more than they can, or they don't think I'm doing form right.  Crossfitter's attitude is that they're better than everyone else. 

Sort of. I do cleans, just not for time unless I go very light. I don't do snatches at all as I think they're mainly non-functional and skill-based (and potentially dangerous for your shoulders), and I don't work out in order to get better at working out in any case. I like cleans as it's a practical movement for lifting things in the rest of my life, whereas I'd never snatch something to lift it, ever. Do a lot of heavy squats, presses, etc not for time too, as well as lots of body-weight and HIIT work. Crossfit is just a brand if you're not doing the main page workouts, and most Crossfit gyms don't program the main page workouts, so I'm not really sure what it means to "do Crossfit" any more. You'll find dramatically different programming at different gyms though I certainly grant that fast Oly lifts are a core part of most gym's programming, and I 100% agree that's ill-advised.
  • Tekk said:

I'm getting a pretty good chuckle out of the CF hate. It's just like anything else. You can snap your shit up if you're an idiot, but take a reasonable approach focusing on form and listening to your body and you will see results. 

Seft, good on you. Keep it up. Remember it hurts more to get back into shape than to stay in shape. 

The biggest problem with Crossfit, imo, is that until you've been doing it a couple years, you're probably going to get sucked up into the cult-like atmosphere and do what they tell you uncritically. There's an authority problem, where the coaches are presented as authorities, and most of them are not. I didn't really question my coaches the first couple years, for instance, and unless you're being coached by someone who has actual expertise in training people in heavy lifts (most coaches do not, though they all think they do), your coach probably barely knows more than you could pick up in a weekend of watching youtube videos.
  • Does anyone else find that deadlifts hurt your lower back? Not sure if my form is wrong or I'm just unused to the movement yet.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • @Exelethril Yes. 

And if it hurts, be very very careful about continuing to do them. You'll get people (Crossfitters unfortunately love to say this) telling you that you can't get hurt if your form is right, but that's a bit like saying motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as you don't crash. Technically true. Practically useless.

• I literally just raid Targossas and then do four hundred push ups every day.

But for real. Just keep on keeping on and don't bullshit yourself. You got this.

• Not sure how to quote on this forum @exelethril but if your back is hurting you are probably rounding your back when you do the lift. Hard to tell without seeing it in person. 

Some quick things I use to make sure my form is good. 1. I step under the bar until the halfway point on my shoes. 2. I bend at the knees until the bar is at my shins. 3. Before I lift I take slack out of the bar, take a deep breathe to tighten the core, and to keep my back straight I focus on a spot on the wall during the lift. I think the major thing I see with most people is they are trying to get upright too fast before the bar is past their knees. 

On the way down its just the reverse of the way up. As long as you aren't rounding your back you should be ok.

• Wanted to edit my previous post but I think these are two good form videos

• The lower back is going to get sore no matter what.  

• Yeah soreness is normal but pain isn't. I guess it depends on what he meant by "hurts".

• It's fine unless you're hurting yourself. Let me ask my friend, Benedikt Magnusson, if it's ok to round your back a little bit.

• Real winners let genetics do all the work.