HTML vs. Mudlet et al?

Hello there everyone.  Long time player, first time poster.  :)

Actually, that's not true.  I just recently returned from about a 9 year hiatus from the game - saw a link to Achaea on one of my other game forums, and was hit with a wave of nostalgia.  Dove right back in, and actually remembered one of my old character's login information, so I am trying to pick up where I left off there - 300 years of slumber was long enough!

Back in the day, I was a user of Zmud, mostly for triggers and the like, because the HTML (or whatever the Achaea website was at the time, I am no coder) was barely customizable.  These days though, that seems to not be the case.  Yet I have seen a lot of discussions about Mudlet and other MUD clients.

So my question is:  do the clients like that really add a lot of customization that I can't get just via the HTML features offered?  Do you use a client, and if so, why?

Thanks for any input you can share!  See you in the realms.

Comments

• edited June 2014

Mudlet is still the most capable client out there particularly when combined with the SVO system that @Vadimuses sells, but I see more and more people using the HTML5 client (which we really should give a proper name to) these days, and we're always working on it in the background. I'd suggest starting with HTML5 and going to Mudlet if you find you need more customization.

• Sarapis said:

Mudlet is still the most capable client out there particularly when combined with the SVO system that @Vadimuses sells, but I see more and more people using the HTML5 client (which we really should give a proper name to) these days, and we're always working on it in the background. I'd suggest starting with HTML5 and going to Mudlet if you find you need more customization.

@Sarapis‌

The Brochaea Client

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ THAT IS ALL!

• The HTML5 client is up for very very much customisation if you are ready to code a lot of things yourself. JQuery adds so much power, it simply incredible  (and most likely unsuspected)

• Would love to see shots of the kinds of customization you're doing with HTML5.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

Welcome back, @Isus!

Yeah, JQuery opens up a whole world of possibilities, when we were playing around with very early versions of the client, we used it to make gauges and the like (not needed now, of course!).

• Sarapis said:

Would love to see shots of the kinds of customization you're doing with HTML5.

Me?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Welcome home @Isus‌!

• Ooooo, sparkley.

• @Orzaansyn, I am nostalgiaing so hard right now you don't even know.

Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Where's the 'want' button?!

Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.

Is the customisation saved locally?

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • No, the css is hosted on a FTP and the JS is in the reflexes packages

• Waaaaaaant! That is so coool! Wish could make mudlet look like that.

• That is 100% badass.

• edited October 2014
    Caoimhaen said:
    Waaaaaaant! That is so coool! Wish could make mudlet look like that.
    Well... You can do something similar (maybe not completely like that, but close).

@Akaya showcased a near complete GUI overhaul here: http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=4610&p=21782#p21770 (this might need mudlet 3, not sure about any specifics though)

http://imageshack.com/i/ipnJ4nZrp
  • No that template works in 2 as well. I built my UI off of it, ill post a pic if you want when I get home.
  • One of the main benefits of the HTML5 client over Mudlet is that it comes with a pretty decent UI already set up for you, with the various windows showing the map, channel chat, inventory/room contents, etc. You'd need to either install a GUI that somebody else has made or code your own in Mudlet, so if you rely on that kind of thing there's some work involved rather than just jumping straight into playing.
  • Agreed, the ONLY reason I moved over from the HTML5 client is because javascript can't write to a local file, so the logging happens server side and then you download the log. However mine only downloaded about on in every ten times or so, other times it crashed my whole Chrome and log just vanished.
  • Tibitha said:
    Agreed, the ONLY reason I moved over from the HTML5 client is because javascript can't write to a local file, so the logging happens server side and then you download the log. However mine only downloaded about on in every ten times or so, other times it crashed my whole Chrome and log just vanished.
    I'm currently researching the Chrome embedded framework to see if i make a full-blown mud client out of it. no guarantee that I would go all out to make one. :)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Thetemplate works on 2 as well, yes. But if you take a closer look at the screenshot, you will see, that the Connect buttons and other UI elements are changed as well.
  • I built the template using 2.1 and it still works with it.
    However, the link @Keneanung shared is a script that will change the Mudlet UI to match the default template. You need 3.0alpha+ for that.
  • Achaea has the ability to create a default UI for Mudlet - see for example GodWars 2 which did. When a new person connects to Achaea using Mudlet, Achaea can install a Mudlet package that sets up the UI.
  • Vadimuses said:
    Achaea has the ability to create a default UI for Mudlet - see for example GodWars 2 which did. When a new person connects to Achaea using Mudlet, Achaea can install a Mudlet package that sets up the UI.
    How/when does this happen?
  • http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:GMCP_Extensions

Bedlam supports this as well. It happens just as I described it - Achaea offers a package to install and Mudlet installs it.
  • edited October 2014
    I created a new Mudlet profile and enabled GMCP - I didn't see anything aside from the Mapper notifications.  Do I need the newest version of Mudlet?

E: Or by "new person" do you mean I have to be creating a new character to get the UI?