Houseless city member

A question: Which city is most supportive of/ good for a member who is not planning to be in a house? I believe Eleusis and Mhaldor has laws in place to make all citizens be in a house... But what about other cities? Do they have pressures to join a house? Does it make a significant difference for the player/character if they aren't in a house?

Okay, that was more than one question... >_< thanks for any responses in advance!

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

There are cities which allow you to be a citizen without forcing you into a House. Hashan and Ashtan come to mind, maybe Cyrene as well.

• Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "maybe" in Cyrene? Is that because the new houses haven't come in place yet?

I've never been a citizen of Cyrene, so can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they don't require citizens by law to be Housed.

• Kresslack said:

I've never been a citizen of Cyrene, so can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they don't require citizens by law to be Housed.

This is true, yes.

Ashtan, Hashan, and Cyrene (I don't know if this is going to change once the houses are finished, or not. I highly doubt it will) don't have laws in place - you can be a houseless individual if you so choose. Targossas, Mhaldor, and Eleusis - you must join one of the houses, except I THINK once you're a certain age in Eleusis, you can remain in the city without a house if you get permission from a Leath-ri (same with Mhaldor, but it's at the behest of the Tyrannus. Unless that rule changed). @Rangor or @Logistics or even @Ellodin might be able to explain Eleusis better (it's been quite some time since I was a villager!)

• Ayena said:

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "maybe" in Cyrene? Is that because the new houses haven't come in place yet?

The new houses could certainly change the dynamic a bit, but Cyrene has a strong belief in live and let live, so it's doubtful that you'll ever be required to join a house. Ideally, the new houses will be more connected to the city and more people will want to join them, but in the past (at least as long as I've played), even its own leadership was as (if not more) often houseless than not.

• Thanks for clarifying! If someone could please confirm about Eleusis/Mhaldor, that'd be great!

Ayleth said:

Kresslack said:

This is true, yes.

Ashtan, Hashan, and Cyrene (I don't know if this is going to change once the houses are finished, or not. I highly doubt it will) don't have laws in place - you can be a houseless individual if you so choose. Targossas, Mhaldor, and Eleusis - you must join one of the houses, except I THINK once you're a certain age in Eleusis, you can remain in the city without a house if you get permission from a Leath-ri (same with Mhaldor, but it's at the behest of the Tyrannus. Unless that rule changed). @Rangor or @Logistics or even @Ellodin might be able to explain Eleusis better (it's been quite some time since I was a villager!)

• I can clarify for Mhaldor - you can basically assume you have to be a member of a house. There are certainly some circumstances where members have been given permission by Sartan/the Tyrannus to not be a member of a house, but they are few and far between. They are also usually the result of when some citizen cannot get along with the house his class was forced into, but remained a strong servant to the city, or some various there of. As a new character coming in, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of them letting you be houseless.

As for Eleusis, I'm 99% sure Ayleth is correct, but then, I've never had an Eleusian character I paid any attention to, so I could be wrong.

Pretty sure the only Houseless citizen we have in Mhaldor (and the only one I've ever known of) is Vicious, and that wasn't his choice.

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide

Cyrene is currently allowing houseless members but it's unlikely you'll get the benefit of any of the milking rooms, master crystal, ourobori and such.

• Thanks for all the replies! Would anyone happen to know what age in Eleusis that is? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just really curious. @Jamethiel‌ What's an ourobori? Sorry if it's a noob question haha.

Ayena said:

Thanks for clarifying! If someone could please confirm about Eleusis/Mhaldor, that'd be great!

Ayleth said:

Kresslack said:

This is true, yes.

• edited June 2014
    If you're new to the game/new character, assume you have to join a house in Eleusis.

• An ourobori (ouroboros singluar) is a picture, sculpture, symbol, etc. of a snake eating it's own tail, forming a perfect circle.  

• Thanks @Rangor‌

@Mithridates -- just want to clarify, how is an ourobori beneficial?

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide

You lot, sheesh! Ourobori are required to do enchantments. There ARE public ourobori but they cost 200 per group of enchantments.

• Thanks for all the information everyone.

• Kresslack said:

Pretty sure the only Houseless citizen we have in Mhaldor (and the only one I've ever known of) is Vicious, and that wasn't his choice.

Malifuus was/is houseless for a long time, but that was WAAAAY before Congregation started accepting Jesters.

• To clarify, Cyrene does allow for Houseless city members. But there will also be increasing encouragement to join a Cyrenian House going forward, including, as Jamethiel said, limiting access to certain class resources, such as the Master Crystal (Crystalism), Ourobori (Enchantment), Milking rooms (Venoms), and possibly the Hatchery (Chivalry). There are public equivalents, but they can cost money. I doubt there will ever be a requirement to join a House though.

In the end, it depends on what class you want to be. (It will be more difficult to be a Houseless Magi for example.)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• The age for the Eleusian no house thing is 25, IIRC

• I have a random question stemming from this thread. How hard is it for a past Mhaldorian to join Eleusis or Cyrene? If somebody joins Eleusis after age 25, can they join the village houseless? Curious.

• Kanita said:

I have a random question stemming from this thread. How hard is it for a past Mhaldorian to join Eleusis or Cyrene? If somebody joins Eleusis after age 25, can they join the village houseless? Curious.

It shouldn't be that hard unless you've hurt the forests, raided, or done something terrible to Eleusis and/or Cyrene. If you're still a novice, it should be easy-peasy lemon squeezey.

And I think so! Could ask @Lala or @Rangor. They'd know better.

• @Florentino is clearly forum-rping. 

Cyrene is generally pretty understanding. I mean, Herenicus was able to join the city for a time, if I remember right (I was dormant at the time). So unless you've done something particularly bad, they're likely to forgive, especially if you're young and especially if you've otherwise behaved since. And if it's just from being a citizen of Mhaldor, it's likely easy to get past.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Jhaeli said:
    @Florentino is clearly forum-rping. 

Cyrene is generally pretty understanding. I mean, Herenicus was able to join the city for a time, if I remember right (I was dormant at the time). So unless you've done something particularly bad, they're likely to forgive, especially if you're young and especially if you've otherwise behaved since. And if it's just from being a citizen of Mhaldor, it's likely easy to get past.

Not really, they have incredibly long sentence times, and equally ridiculous fines. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited June 2014

Yes, but that's just the upper extreme. It's one thing if you're enemied for years of constant raiding, but another when you're just enemied for being a Mhaldorian, which doesn't even come with a fine or charge at all.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Nim said:
    Shirszae said:

Not really, they have incredibly long sentence times, and equally ridiculous fines. 

It's shoddy - it does nothing to people who simply don't care about the city - but it's still a consequence, and consequences are cool. Consequences go a long way to making roleplay seem 

Generally, I agree with you, but simply having to wait out 5 rl (exaggeration... maybe) months is not 'cool.' Consequences are nice when they add to the world. Being told to wait with no possibility of doing anything whatsoever adds nothing except frustration. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited June 2014
    Shirszae said:
    Nim said:
    Shirszae said:

It's shoddy - it does nothing to people who simply don't care about the city - but it's still a consequence, and consequences are cool. Consequences go a long way to making roleplay seem 

Generally, I agree with you, but simply having to wait out 5 rl (exaggeration... maybe) months is not 'cool.' Consequences are nice when they add to the world. Being told to wait with no possibility of doing anything whatsoever adds nothing except frustration. 

Yeah, but you (general you, not you you) also probably chose to do (most) of the crimes you did, at the same time. I understand there are times Sartan orders what he orders, but it wouldn't have been enough to rack up the time/fine some do, by far. And speaking of someone who spent six real months to get possibly, maybe, hopefully, with no guarantee, to get one of her class skills back...

That said, I do believe it would be nice to have more roleplay-forward ideas of being able to help with your time/fine. I know Mhaldor has some various tasks you can do, and Eleusis in the middle of creating trials to help with that. I firmly believe this would also work in Cyrene, it just needs some dreaming/imagining up (it's not like Cyrene really cares about the gold, it's all about paying a penance for what you did). That's way out of my hands now, but perhaps one day someone will!

Edit: Much typos.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby