Meet (some of) the Gods! Ann Arbor, MI & Cedar Point, June 28/29

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
edited June 2014 in The Wander Inn

Since the original IronCon in Las Vegas was cancelled, we've arrange a semi-official meet to which you are all invited! @Valnurana will be filling in more details, but here's the basics!

We will be hanging out at the Ann Arbor Summer Festival on the afternoon/evening of Saturday, June 28. The next day, we will gather for gravity-defying thrills on June 29 at Cedar Point.

Note: If you can't make it to this meet, or you have not had time to prepare a sufficient offering for the Terraformer, there is still discussion going on in this thread about another player meet in the area: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/1873/midwest-michigan-ohio-meet-discussion

Coming? Let us know in the thread and/or http://doodle.com/9qz9gv4794hkwcbe 

Comments

• edited June 2014

For out-of-towners coming by plane: 

• If you're planning to be here for both days, fly into Detroit (DTW is the airport code). It's about a half hour drive from the airport to downtown Ann Arbor.
    • If you're going to Cedar Point only, then flying to Cleveland (airport code CLE) will be closer. It's about an hour drive to Sandusky.

Overnight accommodations:

• If you're staying overnight in Ann Arbor, I'd suggest the area around State Street (exit 177 off I-94). There are a variety of hotel options, it's near Briarwood Mall, lots of places to eat, and heading north on State will take you directly to the festival downtown.
    • If you're doing both days and don't mind driving a short distance on Saturday night, Dundee MI has a good selection of newer hotels with lower rates. It's about a half hour south of Ann Arbor on US-23, directly on the way to Cedar Point, so staying there means you have only an hour and a half drive to Sandusky on Sunday, rather than 2 full hours from Ann Arbor.
    • If you want to stay overnight closer to Cedar Point, there are lots of hotels in the area, some with shuttles that will take you to/from the park, and offer discount tickets. I'm not as familiar with the area but this link will get you started, though I assume the park's "official" hotels are more expensive than other ones.

And here's a quick map to show where Ann Arbor, Detroit airport, Cedar Point, and Cleveland airport are all located, relative to one another.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

There was a list in the other discussion thread (link in OP), but unsure as to the current attendees - if you're coming, feel free to say so here!

• SamakhulisSamakhulis Greeley, Colorado
    edited June 2014

Is there an option to travel from Ann Arbor to Sandusky by FERRY? If so, can you get Gareth to row? Gareth is the man.

..Not likely I'll be able to attend, with three weeks to plan. I'm not one bit seasoned when it comes to travel, and scheduling time off and all that.

Remind me to dig out 1) my two parody contributions and 2) the Colorado 2014 photos! Both threads are gone, and I'm sad.

Star Wars COULD be boring...but it isn't. Here's why I don't tell people that I'm talking with an NPC. Oh, and I never actually met Ethaya, but her comics are absolutely amazing!!

Speaking of rare minerals: Defuperine - That candy coating that you find on the skin of overzealous adventurers who put on so many layers of defenses upon awakening that you wonder how they're able to move afterward.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.

I'm going. I live north of Grand Rapids, so I could head south to GR or even Kalamazoo if someone needs a ride. It's not a deathtrap, but it's not a pretty ride. I have 5 empty seats in my soccermom van.

Just a forewarning, I do not know my way around A2 or Dtown at all.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Jonathin How far north of GR? I might be interested in a carpool. It would be for myself and Klingg. We live in Howard City which is just north of Cedar Springs and such. Also I am in definitely. A chance to meet @Tecton and @Valnurana that would be a dream come true  ;) Though we would only be going to the Ann Arbor thing.

• Also @Jonathin we could use our car if you wanted it's only a four seater though. Maybe five if you put three in the back seat. Not to mention the air conditioner works well.

• edited June 2014
    I'll be attending A2 and driving over from downtown Detroit. I know some people in the burbs said they might need a ride up. If so, send me a pm and we'll work something out.

edited June 2014
    Sunny said:

@Jonathin How far north of GR? I might be interested in a carpool. It would be for myself and Klingg. We live in Howard City which is just north of Cedar Springs and such. Also I am in definitely. A chance to meet @Tecton and @Valnurana that would be a dream come true  ;) Though we would only be going to the Ann Arbor thing.

I live 5 miles northwest of Sand Lake and about 11 miles southwest of Howard City. :D I can see the northwest bank of Englewright lake from my front window (it's down the hill though).

Also, my A/C doesn't work and I took a seat out to make a computer chair, so your idea might be more comfortable anyways.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    Sunny said:

@Jonathin How far north of GR? I might be interested in a carpool. It would be for myself and Klingg. We live in Howard City which is just north of Cedar Springs and such. Also I am in definitely. A chance to meet @Tecton and @Valnurana that would be a dream come true  ;) Though we would only be going to the Ann Arbor thing.

I live 5 miles northwest of Sand Lake and about 11 miles southwest of Howard City. :D I can see the northwest bank of Englewright lake from my front window (it's down the hill though).

Also, my A/C doesn't work and I took a seat out to make a computer chair, so your idea might be more comfortable anyways.

Sounds good. How about we meet in up at the carpool in Pierson? Is @Lachlan still planning on going/Carpooling? If so we can pick her up first at the truckstop on 46 before 131. Then the four of us can go down together.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not too familiar with the Pierson area, but I'm assuming that it's just off the expressway?

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front

I'm not sure I have anything to wear!

• Nooooo come to NYC :(

• I didn't think Ann Arbour was a real city for a while. It's mentioned in HL7's (healthcare interoperability org) training material as examples so much.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Ann Arbour is a whore, at least according to the jocular football fascists from my alma mater. Beautiful city, though.
  • Ann Arbor is legitimately my favorite place on earth.

Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Mathonwy said:

Ann Arbor is legitimately my favorite place on earth.

The food man, the FOOD.

Mani Osteria, Real Seafood Co., Frita Batidos, Connor O'Neal's, Zingerman's.... I mean come on.

• edited June 2014

One way to get a good count of who is going... I made a doodle.  Feel free to move the link to the OP or something if you guys want to. :D

http://doodle.com/9qz9gv4794hkwcbe

Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Sunny said:

Jonathin said:
    Sunny said:

Sounds good. How about we meet in up at the carpool in Pierson? Is @Lachlan still planning on going/Carpooling? If so we can pick her up first at the truckstop on 46 before 131. Then the four of us can go down together.

You guys are just down the road! We should do more things this summer! @Mosr and I will be going both days, though, which presents a carpooling problem. We could always kidnap you into what I assume is a really creepy van, of course  :#

• SamakhulisSamakhulis Greeley, Colorado
    Valnurana said:

A few options for attendees: http://www.cafepress.com/dreamytees

I would go for that honours line one. Except then I would be living a lie.

Whatever happened to the really old suicide mouse graphic (it looked like a buccaneer mouse with a gnawed-on ear)? I would have something with that one back in the day if I had actual money...

Remind me to dig out 1) my two parody contributions and 2) the Colorado 2014 photos! Both threads are gone, and I'm sad.

Star Wars COULD be boring...but it isn't. Here's why I don't tell people that I'm talking with an NPC. Oh, and I never actually met Ethaya, but her comics are absolutely amazing!!

Speaking of rare minerals: Defuperine - That candy coating that you find on the skin of overzealous adventurers who put on so many layers of defenses upon awakening that you wonder how they're able to move afterward.

• Lachlan said:

You guys are just down the road! We should do more things this summer! @Mosr and I will be going both days, though, which presents a carpooling problem. We could always kidnap you into what I assume is a really creepy van, of course  :#

Sounds good. Though are you going down and staying down there? @Lachlan

Lachlan said:
    Sunny said:
    Jonathin said:
    Sunny said:

hi

• Hi guys.

Incoming rant accompanying, but the short version is I -might- not get to show up. Will keep people posted, in case anyone cares.

Also, in light of the new development (I can't read), I'll have to carpool with @Lachlan because getting there without a way back is probably going to lead to a bad time.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Jonathin said:

Also, in light of the new development (I can't read), I'll have to carpool with @Lachlan because getting there without a way back is probably going to lead to a bad time.

No problems, just means you're coming to Cedar Point.

Oh, that was the idea. It's just that @Sunny isn't, so carpooling the whole time won't work.

• Is anyone who is going to both AA and Cedar Point available to give me a ride?  I can probably get to Ann Arbor itself via train, but I'd need a ride to Cedar Point, and a ride home.

I have undressed a god.