Forum Behavior

124»

Comments

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited June 2014
    Jarrod said:
    Draqoom said:
    Jarrod said:

Alright, so while you enjoy attacking me for doing those things, you still provided zero quotes. I've provided multiple quotes in the past of Ernam blatantly lying about my character's actions and what I've said.

You're pretty hilarious angry at me, which is fine, but lying about what I do is silly. Yes, I'm sarcastic regularly, but I also constantly provide ideas for conflict balance and suggestions to help improve morale for your team. In fact, the last time I posted a constructive "Way you can improve morale during raids" post, you were the target, and one of the people I was talking about who gets verbally crapped on by raid leadership thanked me.

Maybe once you cool down (from what I don't know, I haven't even killed you today) you'll be able to be constructive.

Hey Jarrod? Can you please post something different than 'Ernam is lying again'? It's getting pretty redundant and boring.

I honestly think he should stop posting in general, outside of things like updates for SLC (which seems like a legitimately good system, I even said so in that thread). He regularly puts himself into situations where he's in the wrong, then accuses others of attacking him when they point out the issues with what he said. Even when Vastar posted with, "If you think this only applies to others, it may apply to you as well" (didn't look up direct quote), to which Ernam still ignored the fact that he's a culprit, and not a victim. If he stopped commenting in other threads and putting himself into those situations that he instigates, and continued providing a service to the community like his system, people would stop disliking him.

You make some good points, but you can dislike someone and not hate on every single thing they post. I see that happen all the time to Ernam. Even when he has a good point, the dog pile still happens. Heck, I've experienced it too.  

Trust me on this - It is possible! I just did it myself to model how easy it is. :wink: 

• Bluef said:

You can dislike someone and not hate on every single thing they post. 

Trust me on this - I just did it to model how easy it is. :wink: 

You shouldn't quote a post where I talk positively about something he's done and simultaneously accuse me of hating everything he posts.

It looks silly.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

Forum Behavior indeed.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Bluef said:
    Jarrod said:
    Draqoom said:
    Jarrod said:

Alright, so while you enjoy attacking me for doing those things, you still provided zero quotes. I've provided multiple quotes in the past of Ernam blatantly lying about my character's actions and what I've said.

You're pretty hilarious angry at me, which is fine, but lying about what I do is silly. Yes, I'm sarcastic regularly, but I also constantly provide ideas for conflict balance and suggestions to help improve morale for your team. In fact, the last time I posted a constructive "Way you can improve morale during raids" post, you were the target, and one of the people I was talking about who gets verbally crapped on by raid leadership thanked me.

Maybe once you cool down (from what I don't know, I haven't even killed you today) you'll be able to be constructive.

Hey Jarrod? Can you please post something different than 'Ernam is lying again'? It's getting pretty redundant and boring.

I honestly think he should stop posting in general, outside of things like updates for SLC (which seems like a legitimately good system, I even said so in that thread). He regularly puts himself into situations where he's in the wrong, then accuses others of attacking him when they point out the issues with what he said. Even when Vastar posted with, "If you think this only applies to others, it may apply to you as well" (didn't look up direct quote), to which Ernam still ignored the fact that he's a culprit, and not a victim. If he stopped commenting in other threads and putting himself into those situations that he instigates, and continued providing a service to the community like his system, people would stop disliking him.

You make some good points, but you can dislike someone and not hate on every single thing they post. I see that happen all the time to Ernam. Even when he has a good point, the dog pile still happens. Heck, I've experienced it too.  

Trust me on this - It is possible! I just did it myself to model how easy it is. :wink: 

• Jarrod said:
    Bluef said:

You can dislike someone and not hate on every single thing they post. 

Trust me on this - I just did it to model how easy it is. :wink: 

You shouldn't quote a post where I talk positively about something he's done and simultaneously accuse me of hating everything he posts.

It looks silly.

Sigh. Oh, Jarrod. You missed the point entirely. Why am I not surprised?

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

The fact that this thread has to exist at all saddens me as a human being and entices me to walk right back to my old standby mindset of "Everyone is either an idiot or an asshole, but most are both.".   Half the posts here aren't helping either.

• edited June 2014
    @Sena I totally agree with what you're saying, but what Sarapis was trying to explain is that there is really no alternative that doesn't involve admins essentially sitting on forums 24/7 sifting through posts and playing big brother.  I think that the general assumption is that if people earn their way to a ban, they are "being a jerk" consistently enough that a lot of their previous (or at least recent) posts are also likely to be jerkish.  It's simply a way to weed out bad eggs without checking every single egg, one at a time.

I'm sure that if you (or someone else who is famously pragmatic) would like to volunteer to do exactly that, IRE would almost certainly let you do so.  But as long as nobody wants to do that job, it simply isn't going to work that way.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN

Ernam said:
    @Sena I totally agree with what you're saying, but what Sarapis was trying to explain is that there is really no alternative that doesn't involve admins essentially sitting on forums 24/7 sifting through posts and playing big brother.  I think that the general assumption is that if people earn their way to a ban, they are "being a jerk" consistently enough that a lot of their previous (or at least recent) posts are also likely to be jerkish.  It's simply a way to weed out bad eggs without checking every single egg, one at a time.

I'm sure that if you (or someone else who is famously pragmatic) would like to volunteer to do exactly that, IRE would almost certainly let you do so.  But as long as nobody wants to do that job, it simply isn't going to work that way.

On the other hand this is the internet, and if you have a chip on your shoulder then  you've come to the wrong place, the forums shouldn't need to be monitored, because we're all people here and we all sometimes rage. being able to blow stuff off is a skill needed to be in this amazing world we call the internet. with that being said, some things may go over the line and occasional bans are necessary.

On the other hand I think everyone that's disagreeing with this is doing so because they don't want to feel like I do when im driving with a cop behind me in a 20 mph zone with opened bottles of alochol in the back (Yes I take my alcohol home with me after parties) when I have a v8 so if I touch the pedal im speeding. While the entire time im thinking OH GOD IM GOING TO JAIL THIS COP IS GOING TO BE A DICK OH GOD IM GOING TO JAIL THIS COP IS GOING TO BE A DICK OH FUCK I JUST WENT 25 OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited June 2014
    > @Antidas said:
    > Sarapis as much as I hate to take Cooper's side in something, that is completely unreasonable, and I hate to say it, but I'm a bit outraged on his behalf. He did not insult you, he didn't insult anyone, he offered a valid opinion - one that I think most of us share. He then proceeded to suggest we simply switch software to something that enables you to more efficiently handle troll posts. Your response was an unveiled insult. Something that you and the rest of the admins claim to be putting your foot down on. When he called you out for it, you ban him.
    >
    > Am I missing something here? I am truly confused, because you have never struck me as an unreasonable person, but that was way over the line.

I share the same sentiment, although I can be less abrasive on how I state things.

That said, I worked in customer service before and even with all the annoying calls I got, we were always told to understand where the customer is coming from even when they're very irate. I would've probably just explained to Cooper why his suggestion isn't preferable but that would be under the pov of someone who mostly answers calls.

..and, I just realised why most company higher ups don't take complaints.

EDIT: Posting on the phone sucks.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• If people learned nothing else from the Rakon incident, they should at least have noticed that the stakes are *much* higher when Big S is playing the forums. 

• Antidas said:

@Sarapis as much as I hate to take @Cooper's side in something, that is completely unreasonable, and I hate to say it, but I'm a bit outraged on his behalf. He did not insult you, he didn't insult anyone, he offered a valid opinion - one that I think most of us share. He then proceeded to suggest we simply switch software to something that enables you to more efficiently handle troll posts. Your response was an unveiled insult. Something that you and the rest of the admins claim to be putting your foot down on. When he called you out for it, you ban him.

Am I missing something here? I am truly confused, because you have never struck me as an unreasonable person, but that was way over the line.

That's a reasonable perspective, yep. 

However, my response wasn't an unveiled insult. It was pointing out that he is a regular troll - as he himself admitted to in a post just yesterday - and he was derailing a thread about forum behavior with a typically (for him) unconstructive complaint that is equivalent to suggesting that we replace our servers because it sucks that the volume dial (not that our servers have or need them) is numbered 1-8 instead of 1-10, or that we get a new jousting steed (not that we have a jousting steed) because we don't like the color of its toenails. 

I actually like Cooper and one of my favorite stories from Achaea's early days is about him, but he's also consistently very negative on the forums. Had someone who isn't a regular troll and a negative individual on the forums posted the exact things, my reaction would have been different. 

This discussion has been closed.