Forum Behavior

Comments

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Aktillum said:

I do enjoy the Ranting Menace, it's a place where we don't have to pretend to be nice. I remember the forums being extraordinarily PG-rated a long time ago, and it felt like this weird Disney utopia version of Achaea. 

The problem isn't necessarily with the Ranting Menace, but with a handful of people who dislike each other and make things way too personal. Its not exclusive to the Sewers, it happens in General and Combat sections as well.

So that's why I haven't been banned for saying curse words.. and I thought I was just fourm rping a shaman.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Jules said:

Just to be clear, IC and forum punishments remain, and will remain separate barring some dramatic change of heart on admin's part down the road?  Because mixing the two really would make anything but the safest sort of foruming downright insane unless you *really* think people have a soft spot for your particular winning brand of assholery (which let's face it, some have more than others). 

I think there's nothing to worry about, unless you abuse seconds to bypass a forum ban.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Hmm, I had a much higher bar than that in mind.  That's kid stuff - kid stuff which I admit to doing as a late 20-something many, many years ago. 

• Can you unban Garao? I was banned over a year ago for bad language. I don't think it was permanent considering the offence.
  • edited June 2014

Haha, dramatic.  Good luck though, if you're the sort who tends to flirt with danger on the forums, a self imposed ban would be the safest thing, but very few people have the chops to stick to it.  If forumers as a whole possessed that sort of resolve, almost no one would be using the IRE forums in the first place - we'd be using a minimally moderated board elsewhere for most topics, certainly for things like rants (which IRE would absolutely *hate* but would also be powerless to stop with a sufficiently determined player base).  But we're all still here, and every attempt at an offsite forum since IRE began hosting their own has failed (with help from admin, in all fairness, but again, player base clearly wasn't that determined to leave, when it came to it).

In one sense, it still surprises me that admin didn't just tacitly support those moves when they happened.  For one, it would probably remove a fair bit of liability from their shoulders in terms of things like online bullying legislation (though I'm not completely sure on that point).  They'd also just offload a lot of the more "embarrassing" traffic they're so worried about, leaving a much more presentable forums where people are pretty much just posting (nicely) about things that really are game related (Golden Dais, Scarlattan).  Then again, they're smart people, and it may be that they consciously realize a certain amount of salaciousness is a good bit of what makes forums appealing in the first place, but want to very carefully control the amount, so here we are.

The stakes seem to have gone up, but still a bit vague, so if you're a forumer who still wants to take part of some of the more useful aspects of these forums, I'd play it as safe as your willpower allows. 
  • One forum I go to gives you negative points when you post in certain threads. A few negative points wont hurt much, but for those who constantly troll, they add up. Lose too many points and they take away your signature, your avatar and eventually your ability to post public threads. They also publicly shame people who get forum sanctions.

• edited June 2014

Jovolo said:
    What did Daeir even get silenced for? can't think of anything the guy did to warrant having every post he ever made be removed

Yeah, I agree that the punishment for Daeir was both too harsh and completely unprecedented.

I don't have a problem with the moderators enforcing the rules more often to clean up some of the long-term and repeated posters of garbage, but I don't like the way it's being done right now.

The current implementation is both inconsistent and unprofessional.  I can't support the idealogy of, "I don't like this poster's slightly out of line attitude in this one thread on this one day so I'm going to permanently delete all of his posts."

• The punishment was still too much.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited June 2014

Jinsun's post about the event was pretty harsh, I winced when I read it. I don't know what Daeir did, except quote Jinsun's post. I remember Cooper got forum jailed by Sarapis a few weeks ago for essentially posting "fuck this garbage BS Capture-the-Flag" when Ashtan steamrolled everyone. In a nutshell, there's more creative ways to express dissatisfaction with IG events then "fuck this game".

• I don't really disagree with Jinsun's punishment, we all know the kind of crap he posted, but Daeir's? Pfft.

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited June 2014

Eratta said:

One forum I go to gives you negative points when you post in certain threads. A few negative points wont hurt much, but for those who constantly troll, they add up. Lose too many points and they take away your signature, your avatar and eventually your ability to post public threads. They also publicly shame people who get forum sanctions.

Public shaming can definitely get out of hand, that would be a bad idea IMO.

Also, I just wanted to say as someone who RP's a lot and in many games over the years. Events are hard to keep everyone interested in, I once ran a guild in WoW, I know lol right, as a co-leader and making a general idea of what will go on is easy. Getting the people to actually think of what their reaction is and to follow through on that reaction is completely different. 

Like example, in CoV, City of Villains ;_; , I was in a guild and we had an event in which one of the members did something completely insane and like destroyed our damn base. It was an actual base and it was destroyed :( . Yet the guideline of the event was to find out what was wrong with the guy and most people got pissed and wanted to kick him from the VG, villain group, and eventually the leaders had to tell everyone: "Dude we are rebuilding the base! That is what this is all about!" and the entire thing was ruined.

So my point, RP the crap as your character, not on the forums and you will have a good time. Trust your admins and you will see where things are going and hopefully have fun going there!!!

• Aktillum said:

In a nutshell, there's more creative ways to express dissatisfaction with IG events then "fuck this game".

Egging the server!

• You shouldn't have to message people that they've gone too far, it's pretty obvious when language/attacks on people/their work goes too far. If you have to be reminded of it multiple times, via chunks of posts getting deleted, then you should have toned down your behavior ahead of time.

I'd much rather the admin had to spend less time moderating the forums for things going to far so they can 'warn' people, and have them move to a troll-tag more readily.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Not saying there's a problem and just deleting things is rather passive aggressive, though. Passive aggression is not the best approach to problem solving, as the message may be missed or misunderstood.

What I don't like is people arguing against a topic venomously, and then the admin close it down rather than deal with the people involved. It has a chilling effect that I rather dislike.
  • I agree that there should probably be a retroactive time frame on past-deletion, possibly something you set when you make flag them as a troll. Include all posts less than <x> days old.

As for the person not being aware of it, I'd say that's probably the -best- punishment I've ever heard of for flagging someone as a troll. Oh, you wasted all of our time? Now we're wasting your time.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:

I agree that there should probably be a retroactive time frame on past-deletion, possibly something you set when you make flag them as a troll. Include all posts less than <x> days old.

Even if it was limited to the last day of posts, it would still be bad. Someone could be helpfully answering a newbie's questions in one thread while being a complete jerk in another thread at the same time, and there's no reason to remove the good posts along with the bad. Limiting the time frame helps to limit the damage, but it's the lack of discrimination that's the main problem.

• EiredhelEiredhel California

Perhaps having it just remove all of the posts that have > x amount of wtf and or any abuse flags would be better if there were any auto wiping of posts. It'd require the nods to crack down on troll abuse flagging, however. Would be nice if the ability to even flag for abuse was removed from people who waste mod time. 

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

Fair enough. 

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• edited June 2014
    Gotta be honest, I consider myself a pretty optimistic person. But...giving the Achaean community the ability to band together to WTF someone's posts into deletion sounds like a truly TERRIBLE idea that will only foster a more toxic environment, not less.
    Lyndee said:
    Gotta be honest, I consider myself a oretty optimistic person. But...giving the Achaean community the ability to band together to WTF someone's posts into deletion sounds like a truly TERRIBLE idea that will only foster a more toxic environment, not less.

I was referencing only when the administrators decide to delete posts for people who go to far. Instead of all of them it'd be only the abused and wtf'd ones. Sarapis says it isn't an option so it's fine to me. 

I was merely suggesting that the wtf and a use options be used as a deletion guideline. 

But yes, the options are limited. And people can be buttheads. :)

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• In light of this thread I wanted to formally apologise to Relos and Vesence, the only two people I have been a jerk to, ever.

This discussion has been closed.