Forum Behavior

This morning it was decided that some people on these forums need to re-read the rules, particularly #1 ("Don't be a jerk.")

Going forward, we're going to be a bit more strict about this rule. It does not benefit the forums, the game, or anyone else to be outright insulting other players here, nor is it productive to come onto the forums and attack an in-progress event with a bad attitude. Constructive criticism is good, of course, but as much event work is done by volunteers (you know, the people who gave up their characters to try to make the game experience better for you), it's extremely counter-productive to be a jerk if you dislike an event or a new area or whatever. That's just taking a dump on the people who are unselfishly giving their time and effort for you. @Tecton and I are paid. We can take it and years of running online games tends to build one a thick skin anyway. 

Again, constructive criticism continues to be fine and welcome, and 95% of forum posters never cross the line. A few of you do though, and you probably know who you are. Consider this fair warning - please change your forum behavior so that it doesn't continue to be an issue.

Comments

• Can we have a rule that says 'Don't lie about the outcome of issues, fights, or anything else in game and don't spread information that you know is wrong to mislead players' too please? I wouldn't have to troll anymore, then.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

It would be great if people could not bypass bans by logging on with different characters. Specially when those banned were mostly banned because they were jerks

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• OMG finally!

• Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

It would be great if people could not bypass bans by logging on with different characters. Specially when those banned were mostly banned because they were jerks

We will be shrubbing for seconds abuse like that in the future.

Er, why not just forum ban all characters registered to the same email as the original forum-banned character? IG consequences for being a dick on the forums is... weird.

• Jacen said:
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

Er, why not just forum ban all characters registered to the same email as the original forum-banned character? IG consequences for being a dick on the forums is... weird.

You underestimate the amount of dick someone can be.

• Jacen said:
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

All admin punishments in Achaea are effectively ooc, whether they are reflected in-game or not, as the rules being broken are all ooc, with purely ooc purposes and administered in a purely ooc fashion.

• Sarapis said:
    Jacen said:
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

All admin punishments in Achaea are effectively ooc, whether they are reflected in-game or not, as the rules being broken are all ooc, with purely ooc purposes and administered in a purely ooc fashion.

Interesting, I always thought I could find a shrub IC and point at it saying. "Hey I know that shrub!"

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Sarapis said:
    Jacen said:
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

This reminds me, I had an idea once. what if.. like.. instead of turning someone into a tree you just had Thoth say Nope. not this time you don't get to come back and then have him change his mind afterwards.

Currently you can still log in as a shrub and do one shake for yes and two shakes for no!

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    IP/email address bans are usually pretty effective for dealing with forum issues, but with the weight of potential in game punishment, that seems more effective a deterrent. Would only really take one person going that far and I doubt anyone else would venture to follow.

• edited June 2014
    I think the very nature of punishments should dictate that people care about them. If people are willing to literally ignore the forum rules due to not caring about abuse flags, forum time-outs, etc, then I think on-game repercussions are really the only other option. They're also a perfectly natural option... I don't understand why people seem to think that behavior on a forum account that is literally tied to their character would have no consequences on their character. The things said here often impact what happens in-game, so I don't see how punishments for rule-breaking would be any different.

edit: spelling
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Ernam said:
    I think the very nature of punishments should dictate that people care about them. If people are willing to literally ignore the forum rules due to not caring about abuse flags, forum time-outs, etc, then I think on-game repercussions are really the only other option. They're also a perfectly natural option... I don't understand why people seem to think that behavior on a forum account that is literally tied to their character would have no consequences on their character. The things said here often impact what happens in-game, so I don't see how punishments for rule-breaking would be any different.

edit: spelling

Because Fourms are OOC and in game is ic, On the other hand your right and most people have no fourth wall (Such as some random guy on forums is being a dick and he happens to do something that normally you wouldn't bother to kill people for but you do it anyways just because of what happened oocly) 

In reality depending on how they choose to enforce forum rules, will determine if people will even use forums in the future to start with for idle chat/rants/random bullshit instead of maybe posting random combat logs. Which honestly, if your banning people in game for things that happen on forums it's going to turn into a total shit fest.

Mostly because if say a Targossian for instance says something on forums to get banned and then an Ashtani basically does the same thing but doesn't get banned, Shit will hit the fan, guaranteed.

Mostly because it's already happened with basically everything else, roles reserved as well.

Grass always greener on the other side type deal.

• Good to see. I'm a fan of forum brawling, but Ranting Menace especially has been absolutely trousers for the last few months. People need to focus way more on quality rather than quantity.

• It'd be a shame to punish everybody for the idiocy of a few. Would much rather see some mod strongarming, personally. Bans were good at deterring mass stupidity on the old forums - not sure why they don't happen anymore.

• I hear what you're saying, but given that the Sewers section exists solely to reduce moderation time in the 'real' forums, I don't think that spending moderation time on it makes much sense.

• You don't need to actively moderate it any more than Vastar/Scarlatti/etc. already do. The new rules are really conducive to a healthy and productive atmosphere, and the vast majority of people will settle down when an admin chimes in to tell everyone to chillax if things do get heated (which is to be expected given people's emotional attachment to their characters and the game). But when mods issue those warnings, there's no follow up on it for the people that don't. Just start banning people if mods see them continuing to be jerks, and things will calm down on their own.

I do think that the social experiment of cordoning off the rants section and leaving people to their own devices has reached a pretty unsurprising conclusion, though.

• Oh, the state of the Sewers is completely expected. It's why you can't see the section without being logged in, after all.

Just unsure if the honeypot effect continues to be worth it. I know if the choice was between me personally moderating it and just getting rid of it, the choice would be clear. Not an emergency or anything that has to be rushed into one way or another though.

• I kind of wish there were multiple rants threads, so that the negativity was better... you know... categorized. I really approve of the group combat rant thread, but maybe it could be improved beyond that?

Mostly because I really like the idea of having a place where you can just complain about dumb things that are obviously dumb, and I think that's kind of actually a pretty healthy thing, but I also accept that people will inevitably want to complain about other people, and that is a much less healthy thing.

• Personally I agree that without ranting menace, it'd all just come out elsewhere.. Which if I understand correctly, would lead to lots of banning. Seems like the honeypot is doing exactly what it was designed to do to me.
  • If you want more rants threads, start them. Forums pretty badly need more new threads, instead of these massive conglomerate threads. The rants thread used to be a place for general ranting that didn't merit its own thread, but now it's become the only place people rant. Same with memorable quotes, etc.

Really not sure why the trend in posting/thread creation habits changed the way it did, but it's definitely not been for the better.

• I think the reason for that has consistently been mods closing threads with: "There's already a thread for this."
  • edited June 2014

Probably because they're the highest-traffic threads. People know their stuff's gonna be seen if they post it there.

ETA: which probably only worsens the problem in the first place.

Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • edited June 2014

Just to be clear, IC and forum punishments remain, and will remain separate barring some dramatic change of heart on admin's part down the road?  Because mixing the two really would make anything but the safest sort of foruming downright insane unless you *really* think people have a soft spot for your particular winning brand of assholery (which let's face it, some have more than others). 

This discussion has been closed.