Flagging as "Ready to Roleplay"

In another thread I suggested that perhaps we need a way to flag yourself as "Ready to RP" and also have a way to see who has flagged themselves this way.

Helping people, especially new players, find people to RP with more easily than now would be great.

One question is whether people would just leave themselves permanently on "Ready to RP" even when they're not.

Discuss please!

Comments

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

This might set a dangerous trend of flags, such as flagging for PvP ala WoW. Though... hey, that wouldn't be so bad! Kinda sick of getting killed today.

• I'd just add the command to set myself ready to RP into my alias for turning my bashing triggers off. (And then do the same with my pvp ones, once I get those finished.)

• Tohran said:

This might set a dangerous trend of flags, such as flagging for PvP ala WoW. Though... hey, that wouldn't be so bad! Kinda sick of getting killed today.

That's completely different, as that flag determines whether you're able to be PvP'd or not.

An RP flag would be a passive indication of interest in RPing, and wouldn't affect your ability to actually RP or not. It's just a way of broadcasting interest.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    As with any such things, the possibility exists that some people might forget they set them on or not, unless some indicator was placed somewhere easy to spot, such as in the score page or similar.

Whether it would be useful or not, I don't know. I am conflicted. I think it could be interesting to explore its usage in-game and see how it goes. Just maybe... toggle it off automatically on certain events like being afk for long periods, log out, and the like? I don't know, just throwing ideas around

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I am always ready to roleplay. Nim on the other hand hates everyone, and would happily see the end to the mass-murdering caste of people known as "adventurers." She may secretly be the one behind the abductions and stuff, beware!

In other words, how should the system handle people who OOCly want to roleplay, but whose characters are not particularly outgoing/nice? Is that what it's to solve (finally a way other than poses for me to say, I am ok with roleplaying, I am not actually AFK even if Nim SEEMS inactive)?
  • TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

Sarapis said:

Tohran said:

That's completely different, as that flag determines whether you're able to be PvP'd or not.

An RP flag would be a passive indication of interest in RPing, and wouldn't affect your ability to actually RP or not. It's just a way of broadcasting interest.

It might break immersion to see something like.

GATES OF MHALDOR

@Ruth is here, she is wielding a rubber chicken in her right hand, and the decapitated head of @Silas‌ in her left hand.  @Vicious‌ is here, he is wielding an ornate steel rapier in each hand (RP READY). 

Sorry @Ruth‌ you got the chicken. I'm in an odd mood. You and @Vicious‌ were the only two Mhaldorians that came to mind off the top of my head.

What @Eurulis‌ said, would be a bit odd for Achaea. An idea with merit though. Perhaps for newbies only?

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2014
    Nim said:
    I am always ready to roleplay. Nim on the other hand hates everyone, and would happily see the end to the mass-murdering caste of people known as "adventurers." She may secretly be the one behind the abductions and stuff, beware!

In other words, how should the system handle people who OOCly want to roleplay, but whose characters are not particularly outgoing/nice? Is that what it's to solve (finally a way other than poses for me to say, I am ok with roleplaying, I am not actually AFK even if Nim SEEMS inactive)?

Moot point, seeing as you would need to log in first and we both know thats not happening :persevere: 

@Tohran I very much doubt it would appear in such a blatant way. More likely it would be made into a list, much in the way MARKWHO used to work

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• @Eurulis: Not being explicitly OOC in public and actively RPing are two very different things. Achaea demands the former of people, and encourages though doesn't demand the latter.

There's also a -lot- of OOC communication that happens in Achaea. I often turn on the ability to see all communication that flows through the game for short periods (very very spammy) during events, and the amount of OOC that happens then is pretty huge. A lot of people don't actually want to RP all the time.

Forgetting about the flag or leaving it always on is something to be avoided I think. We'd probably require you re-trigger it every time you login or something.

• @Shirszae: It will. I just need to write a few more modules in my new system. One for dynamic string handling, one for UI handling, a few updates to the profile system to allow per-profile code better, and then finish GMCP handling, port over my offensive system, handle curing somehow (still dunno how! really was hoping they'd cave regarding GMCP affliction tracking, but so far not...), and write a highlights module.

I can hold off on porting conveniences like full sense parsing later, after I get back into the game.

That's not that much work. :3
  • @Kross Well, all RP flows from the OOC player, and this would be an indication, from OOC player to OOC player that "I want to actively RP now." 

Maybe another idea could be taking the 'town square' idea and make it an official place to go look for RP. I see newbies get told a lot to check out the gathering spots in their cities. Could make sure these are all Landmarks and just document them as being kind of official spots to go looking for RP.

Just throwing out ideas.

• A channel would have a similar desired effect. Someone can just ask if anything is going on or something and those who don't want to RP can just turn it off. Although, that could just turn into a bunch of people just RPing in the actual channel. I'm not sure if that's bad or not, but it could be a great way for organizing world wide events or just chess matches. Similar to how people use the Market sometimes.

• Sadly I think a channel will just open up an avenue for people to get trolled. It'd need to be moderated which takes time away from cool events and RPable opportunities to include admin or Divine. Just my opinion on a channel idea.

@Sarapis‌ I get that it's OOC to OOC agreeing to open up possible RP lines, but I always just assume everyone is IC and treat them as such unless I know they're consistently not. As long as the tag was invisible or maybe just added your name to RPWHO or something, it'd keep the immersion a bit more.
  • edited June 2014

@Achimrst The worry is that it would pretty much end up as a generic chat channel, which always devolves into OOC, and we've not had great experiences with global, open OOC chat channels. That's not to say another experiment couldn't be run, but what I pretty much fear it turning into is a combination of the Raves/Rants threads.

@Iocun Yeah, that's a point. We don't want people who don't have it on to feel as if they're opting out of the RP environment or something.

• The only way I can think of monitoring that is to have some Mature players/actual RPers help monitor it for trolling and keeping it IC or just have a clan. Idk, it's a sticky situation no matter which way you look at it.

• Might work if it's an RPWHO style thing and you get added to the list like you would with SPARWHO and then can SPAROFF/RPOFF to get off the list.

• @Nemutaur Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Just unsure how valuable it's going to be.

• NimNim
    edited June 2014
    @Iocun: It might be fine if its meaning was not "I am OK to RP" but instead was "plz RP with me :(", because then people still will interact with you if they have reason to, but will go bug other people if they want interaction for its own sake.

Edit: Sort of ninja'd by @Nemutaur, who said my point in a different way, but that's basically what I'd meant!
  • You could just implement it and see what happens. Shouldn't be too hard to do RPWHO as long as the person's name doesn't glow orange while in the same room and on the list. It's up to the players to use the RPWHO list to do something productive. If all it leads to is 'looking for more poker buddies' or 'tea time in Thera' then well its not your fault.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    @Iocun speaks my mind.
  • Yeah, that's really what the idea is getting at I suppose. More of a, "I'm actively looking to RP with someone right now."

Ok, here's another idea that might be too much. You guys tell me.

A system, kind of like ads or something similar, for RP. Say you're looking to RP a little event, like a joint adventure to <wherever>. You post an ad with a brief description of what you're looking to do, and see who responds. Could let people opt into getting real-time notifications when someone posts one of these "RP ads".

• edited June 2014

@sarapis Perhaps a rename of the flag itself could help a bit, the name threw me off. "Looking for RP" or something might help matters.

As for the matter of OOC, that's -definitely- something that goes on. It will exist somewhere, whether it be people negotiating how an emoted scenario or just Skype chatting later. Honestly, I'd say that the -lack- of a clear and present method to ask OOC questions is a negative for newbies at the least, but I'm not sure how to implement such a thing without killing the atmosphere the game has quite adeptly built up. Of course, I also recognize that OOC tells and messages are common. Perhaps something like tells with the whole OOC quotes around it would be beneficial.

I'd go on, but its not related to what we're talking about here. The ad thing is an interesting proposition, as is the concept of making it known that the gathering places are probably the best places to find RP.

Edit: Oh. I'm a bit late with this. Quick edit to make things make a bit more sense! Naverre essentially says what I've experienced
  • I agree with @Iocun. I can't see this turning out to be a good thing. And I'm mostly reiterating points already said in the thread, but why the hell not.

The people who want to RP are going to forget to turn it on because they're used to RP being the default, the people who don't want to RP will use it as an excuse to dodge all RP responsibilities, and RP in general would likely decline throughout Achaea.

Achaea has always been, to me, a place where RP is simply expected. Adding a flag changes that perception greatly, will certainly influence new players into thinking RP is optional, and will likely actually make it harder to RP with people now that the majority think it's entirely optional.

• @Nim I like that idea.

This discussion has been closed.