Aria (Bard song)

AktillumAktillum Philippines
So I changed to Bard about a week ago (someone remind me not to change classes while classleads are still being reviewed) and I want to point out that the Aria skill is pretty worthless.

Syntax:            SING ARIA AT <target>
Works on/against:  Adventurers
Details:
Aid someone with an increase in health for a short time.

Emphasis on "for a short time", because the buff only lasts a minute. Also, they need to be undeaf to hear your song, which makes logical sense but deafness is a pretty standard defense, so its like..."hey friend, can you apply epidermal so I can give you this 1 minute buff?"

Please make Aria work through deafness. Or throw it in Harmonics, instead of Voicecraft, give it a 1 minute timer and make it work for allies in the room. Or make the buff last 25 minutes.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    While I would not mind it being buffed, I have to say it works pretty well as it is currently. If your friend can't be bothered to be undeafened, then simply don't aria him. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• It works pretty good for a hunting buff. You and your friend can take deafness off keepup, then you just set up sing triggers for aria while hunting to give both of you a health buff.

• works really well on yourself if you save it for when you're prone or taking a lot of damage.  It's like a mini-transmute

• It's especially strong when you see a teammate go prone and auralbless teammate;sing aria at teammate.

Saved @Jhui a few times with that.

• Honestly, I just find it annoying that I have to pause blindness curing to apply epidermal twice to use it. RELAX DEAFNESS would be nice.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    APPLY EPIDERMAL TO EARS is now a thing.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    APPLY EPIDERMAL TO EARS is now a thing.

Oh, wow. Nevermind, then! Aria's fine.
  • Jhui said:
    works really well on yourself if you save it for when you're prone or taking a lot of damage.  It's like a mini-transmute

Mini-transmute, I like that :P

• AktillumAktillum Philippines

Yeah I did discover I could also auralbless / aria myself.

• my complaint with Aria:

2014/04/24 10:13:58 - Lilian has been slain by the poignant ending of a glorious Aria.

and I've only ever been a class with weathering, it really makes me miss weathering..and Weathering as far as I can remember, DIDN'T raise the con stat (I could be wrong it's been awhile now, or I've just been to used to having high con in general.)

I'd love for it to either last longer or be perma. But it isn't to big of a deal for it to not be.

• All weathering does is raise con (by 1). Funny that aria wearing off can be fatal, never seen that.

Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • yeah I escaped a room and stopped bleeding at 3 hp...aria wore off and dead :( lol.

• TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    edited May 2014
    Because buckawns care about style points, or even if they car about killing you at all. They die so often, i'm sure they wouldn't have long to celebrate even if they did have deathsight up.

Still, maybe buff it to last five minutes. It's gets a little annoying to re-apply so often.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited May 2014

It's annoying how quickly aria wears off, but iirc, you can reset the timer by using it while you already have it. At least, I think that's how it worked while I was bard forever ago. I can vaguely recall making a 45 second repeating timer to check for voice balance and then singing aria to reset it.

Also, I never put up deafness during PvE, so I didn't have to worry about it.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    Jonathin said:

It's annoying how quickly aria wears off, but iirc, you can reset the timer by using it while you already have it

Interesting. Definitely testing that.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.

Sounds good to me. Tbh, I could be thinking of something else entirely. I haven't been bard since 2010ish, so my memory on the subject may be faulty.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Zuko said:
    Jhui said:
    works really well on yourself if you save it for when you're prone or taking a lot of damage.  It's like a mini-transmute

Mini-transmute, I like that :P

Not really comparable to transmute. Heals a much smaller amount, can only be used once, and increases your max health (and thus the damage you will take) at the same time. Weathering is a better comparison.

Singing aria while aria is already up -does- reset the timer, though, so you can keep the health bonus up.

• edited May 2014

A few thoughts, having played bard extensively on two characters.

First of all, Aria's primary function in PVP in my experience is healing, not the max health boost.  I don't think that the max health bonus is intended to be used as a "defense", it's more like a momentary bonus, and counter against damage stacking tactics by both burst healing and increasing your healing-per-second for a minute (effectively making it a good bashing tool as a side effect).

I think you have a good point though, considering that bard is one of the squishiest classes out there.  I think both of these ideas are worth at least considering for next classleads.

A ) Get rid of the deaf requirement, it is pretty silly.
    B ) Get rid of the max health effect and simply allow repeated use of aria to heal oneself or others. or
    C)  Keep the max health effect and allow Aria to be repeated for healing, with a significant WP increase.

Extending the max health buff would make it essentially a rune, which is effectively stackable with all other max health / resistance buffs.  We just got rid of algiz, why add another Jera?

Terra said:

Honestly, I just find it annoying that I have to pause blindness curing to apply epidermal twice to use it. RELAX DEAFNESS would be nice.

Epidermal to ears was already mentioned, but you can also auralbless yourself.

edited May 2014

A ) The thing about the deafness requirement is that it goes hand in hand with the rest of Voicecraft, as well as fit thematically with the idea that it is a song, and it must be heard to work. Sure, it can be inconvenient, but it also adds a little flavor to the class. 

B ) Would not mind this overmuch, so long as the mechanic of Aria taking the health away after a set time was preserved. 

• edited May 2014

yeah... I never use this skill. The buff doesn't last long enough to be worth it and there's a chance of it disappearing at the most inopportune times and it keeps me off voice balance.  

We already have continuo though... so we don't really need another healing harmonic.  And it is useful in extremely rare circumstances, where you're just about to die and you need that last one moment to escape when you're hunting something...

It'd be nice if it was a healing skill that didn't wear off though. But that might be slightly OP since we're supposed to be a bit squishier and stuff to counteract all the other buffs we provide/have... Or if it didn't take balance. -hopeful-

Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Bard really doesn't need to tank or heal, it has damage avoidance galore.

And yes, I agree, I almost never used Aria (only exception being bashing DKs) - it just isn't worth the time.

• Would love if aria just healed and could be used multiple times. :(

The undeaf requirement would be well worth that.

As is, I tend to use it like a con buff while bashing, and ignore it for pk. The "healing" it does is negligible for me.

• Ernam said:

Bard really doesn't need to tank or heal, it has damage avoidance galore.

And yes, I agree, I almost never used Aria (only exception being bashing DKs) - it just isn't worth the time.

except using Aria increases your health, which guess what? Changes your limb health! You can use aria to throw off peoples limb counting so easily that we break a dsl/combo early and that's great. It's the only useful thing about Aria being on such a short time. I'd rather it just work like weathering really and make it no longer work on other adventurers.

• @Lilian That's a pretty common trick, and there are lots of other ways to do it (my favorite being swapping racial spec mid fight).  It's certainly not hard to get around (by either simply noticing the Aria and adjusting, or these days, just using limb probe).

I don't agree with the weathering thing though, that's simply "too good".  Some of these ideas are worth setting on the back burner until classleads though.

• To be fair I never said it was the -best- option. Also the other ways to do it, other then racial change is against the rules. (You're not allowed to remove +con items mid fight, it changes the amount you sip for to give you MORE health and there is a post that says don't do it. And no post since saying this bug has been fixed). But Aria does have a use in combat is my general point.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines

Can we get Riposte accuracy checked out while we're at it, I swear its quite terrible.

• Riposte's problem is that it matches the damage type used, so you're using bash with a rapier against blunt attacks, which makes it absolutely worthless for blunt damage. Cutting hits a lot more, but it is still a lacklustre ability imo. Accuracy buff won't change that really, it's just poor damage and no real effect on the fight.

• edited June 2014

Aria is only really good against damage stacking (and this, also bashing), which is what it is for.  The limb damage thing is theoretically neat, but makes a pretty tiny difference (probably only noticeable by knights) and has lots of easy counters.  There are also several legal ways to change your max health mid combat (there are like 5+ ways to modify con stat mid combat).

Stick to Aria when they start spamming meteors/Thurisaz/Hirst/Jhui and you'll do ok.

• You only get healed ONCE, for 500ish health. You lose the 500 health when Aria fades away, which will get you killed (It has gotten me killed plenty). It wont help you against a damage stack for very long. And I just spent 30 mins using Aria to change my limb health against @Aerek in a rampage, changing my break points strategically so he could not get a DSB on me. Plus unless in doors it's hard to counter high leap;Sing Aira at me.
  • edited June 2014

Aria increases your HPS (sip and regen) as well as healing you and giving you a larger health buffer, which is why it can be really great going into a damage stack.  But yeah, it's definite good against knights, but I wouldn't bother trying that against anyone else.