Knighthood

124»

Comments

• Kazu said:
    Shirszae said:

Kazu said:

I'd be fine with someone multiclassing as a monk to hunt. They'd switch over when they wished, but still play predominantly as a Knight based character.

This does not answer the issue brought up previously, however. Who is going to police this? Are you really going to keep a record of how much time people invest in their non-knight classes compared to their 'knightly' ones? Because there is honestly no way to do that. And forcing people to 'make time' is about the worst solution you can come up with

I'd say it would be a job for the council, and I'm not talking about measure people's time like "You only spent 30 minutes this week on your Knight, but 31 on your monk!" I'm just talking about in a general sense of things. If you begin to consistently and heavily favour one of your other classes, then I think it becomes a problem.

That's not really what the Council was created for. It's more of a way to ensure a minimal level of universal standards and provide avenues of communication between cities and programs that are otherwise ideologically opposed to one another. It's not there to police anything, especially the viability of Knights. That's up to the individual programs who Knighted them, as it always has been.

And to address another one of your points - players work pretty hard to earn the title in most cases. I realise that there is always onus to continue to deserve the title, in terms of behaviour and combat ability, but keeping track of how much a person actually fights would be about as difficult to police as time spent in one's knight class. And, in my opinion at least, you shouldn't have to give up your title if you decide that you've earned a retirement from front line service. That isn't to say that the Knight can avoid defence or service, for example, only that taking away the title based on the fact that a Knight hasn't fought in a while is a little silly and leads to situations like "He can only wear his Sir title if he's hit X in the combat rankings", etc. Either you earn it or you don't.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• Honestly, this Council clan may have to take on more of a governing role than it sounds like it has in the past.  I actually thought that was part of what this thread was about.  

• edited May 2014
    Jules said:

Honestly, this Council clan may have to take on more of a governing role than it sounds like it has in the past.  I actually thought that was part of what this thread was about.  

It could! We need a lot more participation to get there though and some of our activity is being held off until we have a better idea of what changes the Renaissance will bring. I started this thread to gauge overall thoughts on Knighthood itself from the players rather than just characters and it has influenced my thinking on how to apply some of it in-game.

(On that note, Knight characters who are interested in this kind of thing should approach @Aerek or I about joining the clan and getting involved. Especially Targies who have insight on whatever is happening with Knighthood in Targossas, as you're not waiting on your Renaissance. That said, Jhae will be approaching people in-game too, eventually.)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I was about to say that. At the end of the day, the existing Knights and city leaders will be the ones that decide the future of Knighthood, not anything said in this thread.

Those who wish to take part in the real discussion should pursue correspondence in-game, through the Council if it pleases, or any other means necessary.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • @Kazu I am a Knight but I already spend most of my time in dragon form. Like 90% or more. Does that mean I'm not a Knight anymore?

• If you're gonna water it down, I'd sooner see it scrapped altogether.

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

Knight training acadame, only knights may sponsor a budding knight in training. Located in a secret place. All the same subjects are taught, combat, lore, chivalry, duty, but each city section has it's own interpretation to it.

Special, like Hogwarts, you know, each city has their own section... Mhaldor gets the dungeon, Cyrene and Ashtan get the towers, Hashan gets the basement near the kitchens and Eleusis gets the wooded area just outside the compound. 

Also, apologies if this is insulting, don't mean it to be, just brainstorming for the sake of not worrying.