Sorting Classes

Before anyone throws a fit, this discussion is hypothetical.

Given the current restrictions on some classes' citizenship, I thought it would be interesting to take it to an extreme, where every class was designated to one city.
There are only 17 classes and 6 cities, so someone would fall short regardless until there is an 18th class. But here is what I have so far:

Ashtan
Occultist

Cyrene
Runewarden
Bard

Eleusis
Sentinel
Sylvan
Druid

Hashan
Shaman*
Magi*

Mhaldor
Infernal
Apostate

Shallam
Paladin
Priest

-Unsorted-
Jester (C/A)
Serpent (H/M/A)
Monk (H/A)
Alchemist (H/A)
Blademaster (H/A)

*The shaman house and original magi house are in Hashan, hence my inclination there. Could be wrong.
Thoughts?

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Serpent/Magi/Shaman...but no.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited November 2012
    Some classes really don't have the same moral filter as, say, a priest does. Magi are magi in every city - they just choose which set of beliefs they prefer. This applies to several (though not all) classes.

(insert general objection of no Cyrenian Devos here)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • What I'd rather see is Achaea pulling away one House per city per class system. I understand why it had to happen, but I think it hurts the potential RP for people, and really forces people into going rogue or join a House they don't like. I do think it needs to be in the hands of the Garden/Patrons to approve of a class for a House, but I think that the Houses should write up a proposal for why class 'x' works in their house. Basically an argument about the RP of your house and said class. With that in mind I thought up the make-up of Hashani houses.

Crown Merchants

Infernal
    Runewarden
    Jester
    Magi
    Alchemist

Black Lotus

Infernal
    Runewarden
    Blademaster
    Monk
    Bard

Spirit Walkers

Shaman
    Alchemist
    Runewarden

Serpent Lords

Serpents

The reason I structured it in such a way is because each House has a strong roleplay that supports them having access to these classes. Now, I wasn't really present during the Guild to House change, but from what I understand, the current class restrictions were due to House leaders abusing the power to add and remove classes to let their friends into the House. I think this would eliminate the abuse of that while expanding roleplay opportunities.
  • Yeah that wasn't the idea here. Actually not an idea thread at all. I'm talking about a hypothetical situation where they have to be sorted. Where would everything go?
    If you had to assign Monk to any one city, which one would get it?

• the issue with that is the fact that monk and serpent weren't excluded to a single guild, and alchemist was purposefully placed in the cities. however, if i were to go along with this, i would have to say, for ig reasons, that warden would have to be in cyrene and hashan.
  • My essay would be "We have the word Naga in our name" and Vayne's would be "We have the word serpent in our name."
  • Some of those houses-then-guilds used to be located in different cities (or cityless) back then, which further complicates the issue (e.g. the Kharon being in Ashtan etc.).
  • Ashtan:
    Occultist, blademaster

Shallam:
    Priest, Paladin, Magi

Cyrene:
    Runewarden, Bard, Monk, Jester

Hashan:
    Serpent, Alchemist, Shaman

Mhaldor:
    Infernal, Apostate.

• The Institute will take the Jesters. Everyone but Xith and Kaie (sorry babes).
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Tanris said:

Ashtan:
    Occultist, blademaster

Shallam:
    Priest, Paladin, Magi

Cyrene:

Hashan:

Mhaldor:
    Infernal, Apostate.

The elegant solution of removing Eleusis entirely. The weird thing is that I didn't even notice at first.
  • Xith said:
    Tanris said:

Ashtan:
    Occultist, blademaster

Shallam:
    Priest, Paladin, Magi

Cyrene:

Hashan:

Mhaldor:
    Infernal, Apostate.

The elegant solution of removing Eleusis entirely. The weird thing is that I didn't even notice at first.
    If you notice he hasn't mentioned Sylvans, Druids or Sentinels either so they just naturally fit with Eleusis that way

• That was the joke.
  • If a city had to take jesters, it would probably be Ashtan. They're the only ones with jester guards.
  • Tanris said:

Ashtan:
    Occultist, Blademaster

Shallam:
    Priest, Paladin, Magi

Cyrene:

Hashan:

Mhaldor:
    Infernal, Apostate.

Eleusis:

Sentinel, Druid, Sylvan

^^^

Jester tough to place.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

Mizik said:
    Tanris said:

Ashtan:
    Occultist, Blademaster

Shallam:
    Priest, Paladin, Magi

Cyrene:

Hashan:

Mhaldor:
    Infernal, Apostate.

Eleusis:

Sentinel, Druid, Sylvan

^^^

Jester tough to place.
    I'd go with this, though I'd put Jesters in Ashtan with their Occultist ties. Magi and Alchemist are the toughest for me, since everyone has had Magi and Alchemists have no precedent.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • @Delphinus:

Ashtan's not had jester guards in a long time. (I assume you mean the jokers).

• Alchemists had some Twilight basis, so they do fit best in Hashan. I did consider Jester for Ashtan too of course, given the tarot and the blend with chaos/freedom/mischief.

The one thing I don't follow is why Monk is Cyrenese? @Tanris care to elaborate?

• Tanris said:
    Because if anyone else got it the forums would constantly be spammed with people complaining how unfair it was.

Lol. That's actually all I could think of. Smart man.
  • I prefer druids who shun cities.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I've always liked that the Druids' House stayed apart from Eleusis, from a roleplay standpoint. From a practical standpoint, though, it's made the Druids less and less relevant to the game as time goes on.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited November 2012
    @Aerek: All it really does is strangle the house's ascent into something of RP worth. Encourage the interesting people to stay around, let them do interesting things, and the house will stay interesting. That doesn't happen through insularity.

The Druid house is a good candidate for delete-this-first-if-any, but I'd prefer to salvage it. There's huge potential there if the gods are willing to smack the old guard until they play ball. (I acknowledge with some bitterness that I was booted for trying to teach people how to play ball.)

Anyway, we have isolationist forestals and they're called rogues.
  • XerXer Langley
    Just get a singing hat and let it make the decision for you >.>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • If anything the history of the Occultists and Jesters is a move for Jesters to absolutely not be placed in Ashtan O.o
  • Tanris said:

Because if anyone else got it the forums would constantly be spammed with people complaining how unfair it was.

Also, Cyrene has the most badass monk guards.

• Ashtan:

Serpent, Occultist, Jester

Hashan:

Shaman

Mhaldor:

Apostate, Infernal

Shallam:

Magi, Priest, Paladin

Eleusis:

Druid, Sylvan, Sentinel

Cyrene:

Runewarden, Bard, Alchemist

Hard to place: Blademaster, Monk. Also, sorry Hashan!