First Impression and Some Questions

Hi all,

My husband and I started playing yesterday. As long time Gemstone III and IV players we have been in search of something better since we decided to leave. Unfortunately the RP was really going downhill and we didn't have the time to spend on it for the amount they wanted per month to play. A quick search online brought me to this forum where another ex-stoner had posted. I thought I should pay it forward for any others who may be in the same boat.

First impressions:

One word: Awesome.

Getting started: A little hard to decide what to pick (we ended up going with practice characters as we didn't want to commit our favorite names to classes/races we later didn't like). 

Newbie tutorial: The best we have been through (judging against Gemstone, Aardwolf, and Threshold). Very thorough, wonderful help on newbie channel, LOTS of info in help files.

Getting around: REALLY EASY! For those coming from gemstone; It's like they have a built in Lich system. Lots of channels to communicate, though they are not OOC which made us happy, walking scripts, aliases, pretty much anything you need.

The people: Amazing. I think this might be one of the greatest parts so far. The Romeo and Juliet helpers have been great. Everyone has been really accepting and helpful with a smile on their faces. I ventured into a larger town in search of a tutor yesterday and met Tesha who helped me find what I was looking for but took the time to let me find it myself so I would learn my way around instead of just rushing me there and dropping me off.

Verbs: A huge list of really fun verbs. We find they are much more playful than gemstone verbs and way less ooc than aardwolf verbs. The perfect mix, imo. And yes, they even allow emotions in speech and differentiate between talking, screaming, etc. Though we found that the whisper verb doesn't work for private conversations within a room, everyone just sees that you are whispering and can hear what you say.

So, a big thank you to everyone who has helped us on our first day and we look forward to meeting more of you!

On to the questions:

1. We are currently in Targossas. Is this a thriving town or will we eventually want to relocate once we get older?

2. Can we make our own landmarks? If we find a spot that we like to walk to frequently is it possible to set an alias to get us there?

3. Are there any particular classes that are lacking in Achaea? I tried to find this ahead of making my first character to avoid being yet another siren priest (as an example) if there are already too many but had no luck.

4. Aside from the official documentation on the website, help files, and wiki, are there any websites we should bookmark to help us further?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• 1)  I'll let them answer in full, but Targossas is the new "hardcore Good" city and does need citizens.

2)  You sure can.  In HELP LANDMARKS:

LANDMARK ADD <alias>
     - Add a personal landmark in the current room with the provided alias.
    LANDMARK REMOVE [HERE|<alias>]
     - Remove a defined personal landmark.
    LANDMARK EXPAND
     - Purchase an additional landmark. This costs 100 lessons and is
       non-refundable.

This is something they added in not so long ago and it's incredibly nice if you don't have your own mapper.  You can add 15 personal landmarks, and then you can get up to 45 slots total for 100 lessons per slot.

3.  Not sure, and depends somewhat on where you end up.

4.  http://svo.vadisystems.com/ Yes, now there's server side curing in Achaea, but I think most of Achaea still has svo, although they may have had the server take over certain things.  Either way, very worth considering and joining the Mudlet and svo clans in game.  Vadi's documentation and program maintenance are nothing short of amazing. 

• Ayva said:

On to the questions:

1. We are currently in Targossas. Is this a thriving town or will we eventually want to relocate once we get older?

2. Can we make our own landmarks? If we find a spot that we like to walk to frequently is it possible to set an alias to get us there?

3. Are there any particular classes that are lacking in Achaea? I tried to find this ahead of making my first character to avoid being yet another siren priest (as an example) if there are already too many but had no luck.

4. Aside from the official documentation on the website, help files, and wiki, are there any websites we should bookmark to help us further?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Ayva, and welcome to Achaea! I'm very happy you've enjoyed the game so far. :)

1. Targossas is a new city that had the first go with new Houses / city novicehood, so we're still hammering out the details. Some people (Daeir) consider that "languishing" but they're just silly. As Aurora said, in Achaea, you make your own enjoyment. There is literally always something you can be doing - walk up to someone and say hi! One of the greatest parts of Achaea is the interactions you can have with the people and even sometimes the NPCs. You'll find one or two meatheads that are boring to talk to, but there's also a number of gems that are amazing to interact with. There are so many roleplay tools you can use - setting your voice a different way, altering your description, clothing, weapons, class, and now even your pose (which is what you look like when you're standing somewhere). Every city has great roleplayers, so if you end up not liking Targossas, there are other options (please don't leave I like you!).

2. You can! You can also use a script to do this with much more flexibility, but don't worry about that quite yet. You can look at 'HELP LANDMARKS' for much more detail than I can give on them, and don't forget you can also do 'walk to citymate' - which will take you directly to one of your friends. Like me!

3. There's actually a good blend of everything in Achaea, so class/race doesn't quite make you stick out. Instead, it's what you do with it. For example, do you actually whisper blessings of the Bloodsworn when you bless others? Do you utter a prayer whenever you lay a holy rite? Character traits and habits will do much more for you in individualization than class/race combo.

4. Not so much directly, most of the information is available in-game. On the contrary, there are a lot of books in-game that you can read, on things ranging from first hand accounts of an event to transcripts of sermons given in the past, all kinds of stuff. 

Welcome again, and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. If nobody helps you, just ask again in a few moments, or send me a message. :)

i'm a rebel

• WeiWei Monterey, California

It's not too late to move to Hashan.

Just sayin'.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited May 2014

Welcome to Achaea. Since your other questions have already been answered, I'll offer some of my bookmarks:

http://www.ironrealms.com/game/news

This allows you to read news articles from your browser if you wish to, for convenience. I use it primarily to catch up on histories and events both past and present.

http://asaesl.freehostia.com/AsaraEslofe.html

This is an old player run site with a lot of lore and maps which you may find useful if you'd like to find out more about specific areas you may end up discovering, as well as other interesting tidbits you might not find anywhere else.

http://www.achaea.com/forum

These are the old forums, which are no longer used but still have a ton of stuff that can be dug through, so they're kept around as archives. 

• In addition to @Kresslack's links, we also have a wiki. Enjoy your stay in Targossas, and if you manage to see a Blademaster performing contortionist moves in his spare time, do not panic. It might only be me. Ask @Caoimhaen‌, he didn't die or go insane at my stunts the first time he saw me.

• CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    @Synbios‌ I was more like....what the hell....oh my gosh... rofl

• edited May 2014
    Caoimhaen said:
    @Synbios‌ I was more like....what the hell....oh my gosh... rofl

Don't worry if you find my neck twisted 720 degrees. I might have done that headstand wrong. As always, there's a salvebalm for that.

• I've never seen you do anything like that, @Synbios‌. Not sure I want to, though. 

• I've never seen you do anything like that, @Synbios‌. Not sure I want to, though. 

I'm never around. I exist between dimensions, appearing once only to play the song of my species when the planets align and when all the milk has soured.