Mudlet on Raspberry Pi

WeiWei Monterey, California
So I've recently acquired a Raspberry Pi, which is awesome, and I immediately installed Mudlet, but I'm having a lot of little problems trying to get it to work the way it should, which I think may have something to with the fact that I've got version 2.0. I've been trying to figure out how to upgrade to 2.1 for a while, but it seems to think I've got the newest version, and I'm stumped.

Unfortunately, I'm a noob to both Mudlet and Raspbian (and Linux in general), so hopefully somebody with more experience can bestow their great knowledge upon me.

Comments

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    edited May 2014

It works but it's pretty slow if you use the mapper. If you have enough space on your sd card for all the build dependencies, it compiles just like it does on a PC. Check mudlet forums for information on how to build mudlet from source (on ubuntu or debian) and the same should work in Raspbian.

Edit: spelled forums wrong. Also - I own a crapton of arm dev boards but none of them are a raspi... not sure why I never got one. 10 beaglebones was enough.

• WeiWei Monterey, California
    @Strata‌: Thanks for the tip!

I've gone through the steps on this page, up to the point where it says to do this:
    git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/mudlet/code
    That worked fine, but then the next step is just:
    qmake
    make
    Which doesn't make sense to me... I've tried arranging those words in various ways, but it doesn't do anything to progress compiling Mudlet.

qmake on its own gives a list of modes and options. make just gives an error.
    I might just give up and accept my destiny to forever use version 2.0...  It almost works perfectly.

• Don't use mudlet, and don't have all the prereqs installed to try compiling, but have you tried the command from inside any of the subdirectories? It created a code directory for me, for starters, and it might actually only work from the src directory inside that.

edited May 2014
    @Nim‌: One of my biggest problems is that I'm a total noob. I've never tried to compile anything before this, and I have no idea what much of what you said means.

I'm not even really that attached to Mudlet. I was actually okay with the HTML5 client before this, but I'm not sure that I can get it to work on a RasPi.

Anyway, if I can just figure out how to get the mapper to follow me when I move around, I can probably live with the rest of the issues I'm having.
  • Typing "ls" (without quotation marks) will show you a list of files and directories. Typing "cd <directory>" (like "cd code") will go into a directory, or if you supply a full path, switch directories.

In other words, try "cd code" and then run "qmake" and "make" again. If that doesn't work, try "cd src" and repeat the make commands.

edited May 2014

Woot! It started compiling! :D

But then it stopped. :(

mudlet.h:39:24: fatal error: QMediaPlayer: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    I guess I'll see if QMediaPlayer is a thing I can get.

Try this: git clone -b Mudlet-2.1 git://git.code.sf.net/p/mudlet/code 

You cloned master from the SF git which is not exactly 2.1. It is a qt5+a few other changes strangely dubbed "3.0-rc1" and though it compiles and runs fine, you cannot install .zip packages due to a bug. The fix I did for my fork is here: https://github.com/stratumnine/mudlet

Here are some other repos: https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet and https://github.com/Chris7/Mudlet2 and https://github.com/SlySven/Mudlet2

All of these repos are development versions and should not be considered stable or even safe to use. Latest one I tried yesterday had a serious bug with the script editor that kept causing my scripts and triggers to mysteriously delete. The first one I mentioned (stratumnine) is pretty stable and that's what I've been using for almost a year now - only problem I've had with it is random crashes if I add sounds to triggers, which I think is related to qt5 and not mudlet itself but if I don't play sounds it's rock solid. It's SF master with the zip package installation bug fixed.

I don't think qt5 is available in Raspbian (which is arm6 port of Debian wheezy afaik). There might be a way to upgrade to sid for rasberry pi? If so, that would probably be the easiest route. Another option would be Arch Linux ARM (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi) but beware the mudlet-git in AUR pulls the broken master repo from SF (can't install zip packages).

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
    Wei said:

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Welcome to sourceforge. Try again later.

• Wei said:

compilation terminated.

Thats the -exact- dependency error I got, never did figure out wtf library I was missing. I had every goddamn qt library available installed. I gave up on that one. 

Corr said:
    Wei said:

compilation terminated.

Thats the -exact- dependency error I got, never did figure out wtf library I was missing. I had every goddamn qt library available installed. I gave up on that one. 

It's because you're trying to build with qt4 when the newest dev versions of mudlet have switched to qt5. qt4 used a backend like gstreamer or phonon for multimedia and in qt5 it's built-in (QMediaPlayer)