Tetanus affliction

There's a ton of afflictions, but it seems odd to me that the intuitive but extremely damaging real-world effect due to rust is not one of them.

Tetanus can be lethal and comes due to rust -- so a natural thing to have in a game where we stick sharp metal objects into our opponents. To the charge that it's too real-life, we DO use arsenic to induce blindness and we do have epilepsy, etc. I was thinking for the effect temporary paralysis combined with continuous damage, because as I recall tetanus works by making limbs lock up. So, different from ordinary paralysis. If you have better ideas for the effect, I am not exactly a combat master.

To envenom on a weapon, I was thinking keep liquid rusted iron in vials.

Thanks for reading my idea.

Comments

• A second form of paralysis, if it carries with it the same implications as the existing one (i.e. what it opens you up to), is never going to fly.

• Dsling/dstabbing curare/tetanus would be far too powerful, especially if their cures are different. It is a neat idea, but it would come with a lot of combat problems. Don't let that discourage you, though. Ideas are always better shared than kept to oneself! :)

i'm a rebel

• Alright, I fold. Sorry to have bothered you guys. I'll try to come up with something better.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    It certainly is something new and different. Decay months never have meant much to anyone except Jewellers and people without stasis bags/scabbards.

• I actually really, really like Iocun's innovation on the idea. Please consider seriously. :smile: 

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I can't tell if you guys are serious or not so I'll just mention that discourages buying artifacts because weapons close to decay have an added affliction benefit and artifacts never decay.

i'm a rebel

• I wish I could like and agree at the same time!

It doesn't have to be significantly powerful, but the idea itself has a lot of potential for creativity and there are enough pluses to artefacts that I doubt it would have a larger impact than, say, the impact high-end rapiers already have on artefact sales.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• It would be way too easy to just swap to "tetanus" weapons to afflict with them. They would presumably have a very limited usefulness, and you could simply switch to them at the opportune time, while otherwise sticking to your actual rapiers/weapons. It'd also have a pretty significant impact on herb balance and curing probabilities, if it was an herb cure.

Would be fine if it was a smoking cure though, I guess.
  • psychedelia: all output colour is changed from its usual colour to rainbow

i want this

• Also, there should be an affliction where you see giant smileys.

• Whilst we're at it, make Gleam envenomable.

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • And holocaust bombs.

• synesthesia

• Tourettes

• Seriously, though, I'd rather see weapons get worse as they decay than better. Such as either degrading stats, or increased chance of it breaking on a strike or parry. Look after your weapons, and your weapons will look after you.

• Iocun said:

...when suddenly the oldest swords become the most valuable!

I am greatly reminded of Warhammer 40k's adage that 'older is literally better than new', that is to say - a laspistol crafted ten thousand years ago shoots deadlier laser bursts than, say, a recently-produced laser rifle that is used by Guardsmen in a war-zone.

• Sylvance said:

Seriously, though, I'd rather see weapons get worse as they decay than better. Such as either degrading stats, or increased chance of it breaking on a strike or parry. Look after your weapons, and your weapons will look after you.

Ew, inventory management is already enough of a hassle, without having to feel compelled to keep everything fresh and shiny all the time.

• Can I leave my Soulpiercers overnight in a tub of sea water and get this same effect, please? Actually no, let's do a Love Potion Number 9 venom. Hit them with it and the moment they speak they get stampeded by every person in the area.

Yeah I am watching very old movies again. Why do you ask?

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen

tbh, I think it'd be neat to see something with weapons nearing the end of their life. Think of it like of like how Sylvance said. Break maybe on a guard/parry(probably more parry because blade to blade causes more nicks/chips/cracks on a weapon than "lelicaughtyoursword") but when they break, your opponent AND you are showered with the bits, causing a bleeding akin to the Alchemist glass shards. Honestly, seriously, please like this idea. Because... it would be awesome. And it's got negatives and positives. Negative? Your sword broke earlier than expected! Positive? YOUR ENEMY IS BLEEDING BECAUSE YOU HIT THEIR SWORD SO HARD THAT IT SHATTERED!!! How badass is that?

• Daslin said:

tbh, I think it'd be neat to see something with weapons nearing the end of their life. Think of it like of like how Sylvance said. Break maybe on a guard/parry(probably more parry because blade to blade causes more nicks/chips/cracks on a weapon than "lelicaughtyoursword") but when they break, your opponent AND you are showered with the bits, causing a bleeding akin to the Alchemist glass shards. Honestly, seriously, please like this idea. Because... it would be awesome. And it's got negatives and positives. Negative? Your sword broke earlier than expected! Positive? YOUR ENEMY IS BLEEDING BECAUSE YOU HIT THEIR SWORD SO HARD THAT IT SHATTERED!!! How badass is that?

Me: "Hail, humans, I have great news after my duel with Iocun. Get this, I broke 54,000 sovereigns' worth of rapiers fighting him!"

Some human, let's say Ada: "What the hell, abomination? You just emptied half of your bank with that duel!"

Me: "Wait wait wait, hold up, I have not got to the best part yet, wait, don't go, hold up, don't walk away, you gotta listen to the best part, wait up."

Ada: "So? What's the 'best part'?"

Me: "Get this, this is 'frigging awesome', to coin a human adage. Listen well: When Iocun parried my weapon and broke it, I caused 150 bleeding! Isn't that great, Ada? Ada? What are you doing with that warhammer?"

Synbios has been bashed into a pulp by Ada.

• 54k is half your bank?

• I don't trust banks. All my money is in my pouch.

• Accipiter said:

54k is half your bank?

I may or may not be falsifying my bank accounts...excuse me for a bit, still in the middle of a shootout with the Targossian Internal Audit Group. Will get back to you later.

• Actually, sudden audits are evidence of the invisible hand of our Lord @Sartan.

• Arador said:
    Actually, sudden audits are evidence of the invisible hand of our Lord @Sartan.

Hence my vigorous defense.