Names

Comments

• I wanted Kalypso but when it was taken I went with Kallisto instead for my first major main. 

For Jhaeli, my partner at the time was saying "Hurry up and just come make a character with me already!" and I ended up quickly mashing up a name at a Drow name generator then adding an 'i' to make it feminine. (Not that it worked. I think if it wasn't for the Dame in my title I'd still be getting people saying "Sir".)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• The name Invictus is most known as a poem written by William Ernest Henley in the nineteenth century. It is also Latin for unconquer, unconquerable, and undefeated. Thought it was very fitting for my character with him being so focused on Knighthood and my early interest in combat.

• Saeva said:
    Saeva is a feminine form of the latin word meaning..

Definitions:

1. cruel, harsh, severe
    2. fierce/ferocious
    3. savage
    4. vehement
    5. violent/wild/raging

And while Achaea Saeva is really not those things on the surface, hah, it came from from another MUD I played. I had a legionary character named Saeva Nox and she had a pretty ugly backstory and a very harsh and severe attitude. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times she laughed in her existence. Not sure why I chose to carry over a character name. I just did.

Did you plan from the start to follow the name and join Mhaldor?

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Was originally going use Aramil as a name but it was taken so I went with another D&D name I had found. Weirdly, I actually changed the entire character doing this. Would have been a black-haired tsol'aa with green eyes and probably Mhaldorian.

• Randomly scrambled about with letters in my head until I came up with this one. Sounded pronouncable and decent enough, so I rolled with it. After googling it a while later, I found out that it is also the name of some sort of japanese candy. 

• edited May 2014

I like single syllable names. I like double letters. I like girl's names that don't end in "a" or "i." Quisse was part of a brainstorm of names, and I didn't think it meant anything. 

Then I read this thread, and I thought, "Hey, let's google it." 

So quisse  = first-person singular imperfect subjunctive of quérir (if you are familiar with Middle French, and I am not)

And quérir = to seek, to look for

And I think, given what Quisse is, that's a pretty nifty coincidence. :)

• My middle name is Aeryn, which comes from my grandfather's side. I always thought it was pronounced "Arron" but after a chat with my grandfather some years ago it turns out I was very wrong, and it's pronounced "Air-en". And suddenly I liked my middle name- evidently with enough self-satisfied passion to spawn a cavalcade of characters across most online games over the last 7 years.
  • Thought up on the spot, didn't expect it to be free. It was free!

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Hank > Henry > Herenicus
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    *twiddles*
    Major Kira on the TV series "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".

But I couldn't just use Kira.... So I googled variations of the name.
  • GawiGawi Washington

It has been so long since I came up with Gawi (11 years now?) that I cannot remember how, though I googled it some years back, and it is the name of a South Korean horror film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269266/

• edited June 2014

No joke - Was playing Counterstrike today and someone called me San-eh-tair like "sanitary" without the Y.

• Greys has to do with his design.  Back when I made him, I frequently would have 3 different dream personas.  I just pulled one to use as a template;   Greys was the name of that persona which I chose after a friend of mine's last name.

• my name is Radi, but that name was taken.

So I made a lot of other random and dropped them on and off for years. 

When I finally came back and knew I'd stick it out this time, I made a character with the name of the guy I'm writing about in my novel, Zeklata.

I played him for a bit but something made me want to change, so I made Atalkez and haven't made another character since.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Started using it on RPG boards way back on Prodigy, was an evil wizard there, so had to have the word Dark in it! (I was young!). Used it in several other games, wanted the name Talon in Achaea but it was taken, so went with Darktalon again. Use Talon for most other places, though its not exactly original either.

• NikodemusNikodemus Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I just really liked the name. I dunno if someone has posted one of these before but here's where I usually go to find names:

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

• JeslynJeslyn United States
    Well I normally use another name, but I've used it for so long on another mud that I did not want someone to recognize me. So I dug through names and found Jeslyn. Which is a combination of Jessie and Lynn. It does not have an official meaning to it yet, I just liked it because it rolled off the tongue really well.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Aodfionn sounded cool. Aodhfionn means 'white flame' or some shit in Gaelic. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • The name Caoimhaen. My best friend found it for me. It's Gaelic for Kevin which means Gentleness.

• I made it up. Has no meaning that I know, and honestly I regret it sometimes, don't like it as much as I used to, heh. Malorn was originally a bit of a throw away character anyway, I tried a looot of different characters before she stuck.

no, I did not get it from wizard 101 where an npc wizard -is- indeed called that. (and is a dude. *sob*)
  • I'm mildly obsessed with Vikings. I love the name Brynhilde, but I didn't think it fit too well in Achaea, and wanted something a little different. Wanted something more 'spunky.' Searched around and found, Tillie, which is a diminutive form of "Matilda", and means "battle mighty." 

Tillie started out as a Blademaster, so for some I guess it makes more sense in that respect. She's still a spunky buttmunch, so while I work on actually making her "battle mighty," it works.

• I believe I got the base name from the Lotr books. Either they had misspelled it or I changed it from Ioreth to Lorath. But I don't remember it was back in 1996 when I was a teenager.

• edited October 2014
    Took mine straight from the Egyptian-Greco and later Roman god of the name.
  • Took mine from a book I loved. It has a very complex meaning. I am still in MA after almost 25 years, so I picked monk!
    Light prevails, always
  • UlrikeUlrike Maryland
    Tillie said:
    I'm mildly obsessed with Vikings. I love the name Brynhilde, but I didn't think it fit too well in Achaea, and wanted something a little different. Wanted something more 'spunky.' Searched around and found, Tillie, which is a diminutive form of "Matilda", and means "battle mighty." 
    I am utterly in love with Nordic/Germanic women's names because they all sound like fierce beautiful valkyries who will murderate you with a large axe. :D

• Tillie said:
    I'm mildly obsessed with Vikings. I love the name Brynhilde, but I didn't think it fit too well in Achaea, and wanted something a little different. Wanted something more 'spunky.' Searched around and found, Tillie, which is a diminutive form of "Matilda", and means "battle mighty." 

Tillie started out as a Blademaster, so for some I guess it makes more sense in that respect. She's still a spunky buttmunch, so while I work on actually making her "battle mighty," it works.

I had a Tilli in the other MUD that I came from. I love the name. I loved her too!

• edited October 2014
    Malorn said:
    I made it up. Has no meaning that I know, and honestly I regret it sometimes, don't like it as much as I used to, heh. Malorn was originally a bit of a throw away character anyway, I tried a looot of different characters before she stuck.

no, I did not get it from wizard 101 where an npc wizard -is- indeed called that. (and is a dude. *sob*)
    Not gonna lie, I thought (and hoped) you named her after the silver-barked trees of Tolkien's legendarium :(
  • Believe it or not, I did not get Arador from LotR. Well not directly. I had only just started getting into the whole RPG fantasy world stuff through another MUD which i grew bored of and tried Achaea. A friend of mine mentioned the name Aragorn (he pronounced it Aragon) and I kinda liked the sound of it, but was taken already. His character name in the other MUD was Xindor. I played around with the sounds and came up with Arador, feeling quite pleased with myself. Until I saw him again about a month later and he told me that was also the name of Aragorn's grandfather.

By that time I had survived the dreaded Maldaathi newbie test at the hands of Lyradil and I was NOT going to go through that again. I pronounce it differently though because of the way I played with the sounds in my head.

AH-Rah-Dor

• I just kinda started typing a mix of consonants and vowels in what I thought was a good order, and Theldestron came out. Didn't think I would stick with this character. Normally for characters of MMORPG's I put a little more thought into the naming, but eh. I did it like that and it stuck.