LOOK Up :P

Couldn't resist the Achaea pun since what I am about to mention is called "Look Up".

Saw this video on Facebook, and I had to share it. It is a very important message about our modern lifestyle, and something that I have always worried about but am also a guilty part of. Watch the entire video, there is a great twist towards the end when just as you think it is winding down. 

All I know is after watching, when I leave my hotel room shortly Ill be leaving my phone behind on the bedside table. 

Comments

• @Scarlatti‌ You'll appreciate the poetic aspect of this!

• StrataStrata United States of Derp

I got like 65 texts to scroll through. Will watch later.

• edited May 2014

What about all those people that met their wives/husbands on online games? If they put down their phone and sold their computer they'd have missed out.

• edited May 2014
    Kafziel said:

What about all those people that met their wives/husbands on online games? If they put down their phone and sold their computer they'd have missed out.

Aye, good point. I think this is more about the binge usage of technology we see in modern society. Being on your laptop an hour or so a day, that's fine. But when in public so many people are glued to their phones, I think that is the idea

Edit: In short, it's saying cut back instead of being on technology 24/7

• I have a really hard time with 'real life' relationships, because they've usually only lasted a few months or maybe a year or two. Comparing that to friends I've known over the internet, that's a really short amount of time... and to add to that, I usually talk to internet friends a lot more often than real life friends.

So, it's like, I barely get to register them as a friend before circumstances change and I don't get to see them anymore.

Ironically, though, I don't really social media that well. I usually far prefer instant communication (like AIM, IRC, Skype, etcetc).

• Yeah, the video makes a couple of good points, but on the whole, saying that everyone is enslaved to their technology and needs to leave it behind in order to enjoy life because it's finite is not the answer either.  I know I carry a phone on my when I go out so I can be reached by friends or family for emergencies or to find out where I am and if I want to join them for a coffee.  Also, I've met some awesome people online, which I wouldn't have done had I "looked up".  Also, whenever I hear the argument parents make saying "oh, back in my day, I was outside playing, but today all my kids do is play on their playstation/gameboy/etc, it's sad they'll never experience what I did" I grind my teeth.  You are the parent, they are the child, who was the one who bought that game device they are playing.  As the parent, MAKE them put down the device and go outside and play if that's what you want them to experience, but usually that means they you have to actually stop playing your own facebook games and watch your kids to make sure they don't get hurt or something and be an actual parent, so it's just easier to complain that playing games is all they do.  My brother's children don't spend all day playing those devices.

Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Right, Its a little extreme but I think there are some good points to be made! For example there is a family gathering setting at one point, and everyone is indulging in technology instead of socializing, which commonly happens. But yeah, arguments for both sides im pretty neutral, but thought it was a good video!

• Everything in life is about balance. If you're sitting at the dinner table, make a house rule that phones aren't allowed during dinner. (Hell, that's old school - you couldn't pick up the old landline during dinner at my house either!) Set limits on video games/tv time, for yourself as well as your kids. And so forth. It's more important for families, especially young families, to find that balance.

But for your average young adult? Let me say this - when I was finally asked out by a fleshy person in my early 20s, not long after I moved four hours away from home and everyone I'd ever known in person, it was @Metzger (an internet friend!) who helped talk me through going on an actual date. Said person eventually asked me to marry him and now we has a pretty baby. Internet friends are just as important as real ones for modern young adults and there's nothing wrong with that. 

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I don't need to look up. I have evolved omnidirectional senses to help detect VILE HUMANS LOOKING TO HUNT ME DOWN FOR THEIR OWN NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. 

YES, I HAVE DISPOSED OF THE HUMAN ASSASSIN CLINGING AGAINST THE CEILING, WAITING FOR ME TO 'LOOK UP'. YOUR VILE TRICKERY WILL NOT WORK ON ME. 

I also got rid of the other assassins lurking behind me, below me, flanking me and hiding in between dimensions, so nice try.

• Synbios said:

I don't need to look up. I have evolved omnidirectional senses to help detect VILE HUMANS LOOKING TO HUNT ME DOWN FOR THEIR OWN NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. 

YES, I HAVE DISPOSED OF THE HUMAN ASSASSIN CLINGING AGAINST THE CEILING, WAITING FOR ME TO 'LOOK UP'. YOUR VILE TRICKERY WILL NOT WORK ON ME. 

I also got rid of the other assassins lurking behind me, below me, flanking me and hiding in between dimensions, so nice try.

I-I just wanted to add you to my collection T_T wh-why do you spurn me so, star spawn? T_T

• I met my closest friends online, and I can say without a doubt that without them, I'd be in a much much worse situation than I am now. One of them pretty much indirectly saved my life, so.

• This thread is full of anti technology hipsters and special snowflake self diagnosed social anxiety wannabe idiots

• And now it has a stupid fuck that no one likes. Hi!

• This seems like the wrong forum to post something like this.

Wait, this is a video on the internet suggesting we use the internet less. The irony.

• @Nellaundra‌ oh your flattering me really.

• @Nellaundra Back off my bb Mith or we are gonna have a problem

• @Zuko finally! You fixed your signature!

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• I was waiting for the twist throughout the entire thing, where he was going to realize that the virtual world is just a different way of communicating or that the internet is actually a connection of angry fire ants and if people don't stop using it, they will end up controlling the world in a matrix-esque fashion or something.  

But seriously... it never came.  

Liked anyway for good writing and a cute accent. 

Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • There was sound?

• I'm on both sides of this argument.

When I see people that can't look up from their phone, I hope they accidentally step into traffic. Awareness of your surroundings is part of being a human.

When I see you've put down your phone and you're still an jerk, I really wish you'd pick it back up and stop talking to me.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • WeiWei Monterey, California

People! 

Life is finite and we're wasting time we could be using to play on the internet!