[Mudlet] Time and date script

Hi, 

I'm trying to get something into my GUI that shows me the IG date and whether it's day or night, but have been having serious mind-freeze when trying to make it work.

Any ideas?
Tvistor said:
Achievement Unlocked : Made A God Feel Guilty.

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm not entirely sure how you want it to work. Going on my best assumptions, this is pretty much how I'd set it up:

1) Make a timer to check TIME and DATE periodically (or use triggers and forget the timer).
    2) Capture information for a table that tells whether it's day or night (assuming that you want it black and white like that).
    3) Gag both completely (including prompts).
    4) (If omit timers) create triggers for each time message (the sun's rays blazing over Ashtan's rings for morning and such).
    5) Redirect the output to your GUI.

Alternatively, you can LOOK STARS if you're outside and it'll tell you if it's day/night. You could also use that, but again it doesn't work indoors. Also note that TIME appears differently when you're underground.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Has anyone worked out the date-time conversion system that is used by the Date function in-game? Using that, it should be possible to arrive at the IG date (and even time of day perhaps) with just the system date-time and won't require any commands or triggers. I was considering doing that to set up a Calendar system of sorts to track deadlines or scheduled events or even IG birthdays. 
    For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
    and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
  • It shouldn't be too hard, but the farther you get from the last synchronisation the less accurate it will be, because Achaean days aren't always exactly an hour (they usually vary by a few seconds) and there are things like timewarps and downtime that can't be accounted for in advance.
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    I just use TIME and DATE when I log in, then trigger the time based on the ambient messages (like twinkling stars, etc.). I just manual 'time' if I think my system is confused about what time it is.
  • My system uses an internal timer to count minutes of an "Achaean clock" and synchronizes it at those ambient messages (some of them aren't very reliable, yet others, like the midnight one, are perfect for synchronization).
  • I tried to make an Achaean clock (of sorts) on the assumption every day begins at the 00th minute of an hour and ends at the 59th minute, but it isn't all that reliable. 

Think I'll go with your idea, @Iocun, and synchronize with the ambient messages. Thanks!
    For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
    and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
  • Iocun said:
    My system uses an internal timer to count minutes of an "Achaean clock" and synchronizes it at those ambient messages (some of them aren't very reliable, yet others, like the midnight one, are perfect for synchronization).
    Any chance you could share this? That sounds awesome.