Custom crafts: design descriptions!

Comments

• @Tharvis I like the extra description for if someone else wields it! Almost like it has a personality.

More descriptions please (I know they are out there)! Mounts, weapons, whatever you got, show them off! 
    :)

• So a couple of weeks ago I posed a question here about my preference for precision and conciseness (aka brevity) in design descriptions. Today Danny Heitman of the New York Times said it all way better than I ever could. Check out his page on the Opinion Pages if you're interested in continuing the discussion:

• @Bluef, you want clothing items from @Liliana.  One of the few designers in the game who makes simple, elegant designs.
  • (@Lisbethae is another as I recall, although I can't remember where stores that sell her clothing items are right now)
  • (There's also me)

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Probably, but if your gear is sold mostly in Mhaldor, I'd never see it.
  • I'm not Mhaldorian anymore.

At this point, I basically take commissions and would craft most things off my NDS list if asked, probably even mail the descrips (as 'item sketches'), but I don't have a shop.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Ooo, nice.  I'll have to NDS you and see what's eye catching.  And yes, it's too bad you can't view descriptions of owned items on there, although I suppose it's to make it less easy to plagiarize, or something.
  • (After all, I always need fabulous clothes to decay while I'm semi-dormant)
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Bluef said:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, and I don't mean to poison the nice well of compliments we have going here right now, but I would really like to know if anyone else feels the same way:

I wish more contemporary designers would remember that less really is more. The designs I like best are precise and active in their language. They show the uniqueness of a garment or jewelry item without detailing each little crack or crevice in the design or using an unnecessary flurry of over the top adjectives and claims about an item. This makes me cringe when I see it IC.

I once had a creative writing mentor tell me, "Never use a fifty cent word, when a nickel will do."

To me, this means that sometimes displaying things in their truest light means preparing the world for their reception, and one of the ways you do that as a writer is not to over do - for example, don't write a 20-line examined (or self) description when you can achieve the same overall effect with a little more effort in six lines. Use everyday language that presents a thing with exactness and accuracy to achieve the best results.

Thoughts?

A bit late to this thread, but yes, @Bluef, MY GOD, YES.  Simplicity is always the most beautiful.  Nobody ever stops to think that if you throw out a description that is going to sound like you had drunken sex with a thesaurus, they will get bored and not read it.  I have -always- favored the 'less is more' mentality in designing anything.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Also, I absolutely -hate- when crafters monogram clothing or jewellery.  I lose all respect for a designer IC if they add in initials to their extendeds, or engraving, or whatever.  That's the whole -point- of being able to embroider and engrave, is to prevent that.  Ugh.
  • Customised buckawn's amulet

an ice-spider amulet

An amulet with a pendant of ice carved into the shape of a small spider glistens here in a pool of crystal-clear water.

Dangling from a supremely fine chain of mithril, a small chunk of dark blue ice has been carved into the likeness of a nahar spider, the detail almost impossibly intricate. Small droplets of water periodically coalesce on the pendent before refreezing, giving the impression that the spider is alive and moving. Light refracts off the multifaceted surfaces of the eight minute sapphires of purest blue, set into the ice as if the eyes of the spider.

Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    (customised stygian pendant)

a pendant of stormy seas

Hand-blown glass has been shaped into a tear drop, with a loop at the top through which hangs a leather cord that rests comfortably around the neck when worn. Small runes are etched into the surface of the glass that shimmer faintly in the light. Within, a turbulent sea squall rages and blusters. The winds and skies visible are a deep, dark grey in colour. The sea is wine-dark and churns violently upon itself as it roils and whips around in a frenzy. A small ship, set to scale, sits on the crest of a wave, defiant of the storm that rages around it. The vessel shakes and trembles at the waves and the wind, yet still manages to stay afloat.
  • Xli said:
    Customised buckawn's amulet

an ice-spider amulet

An amulet with a pendant of ice carved into the shape of a small spider glistens here in a pool of crystal-clear water.

Dangling from a supremely fine chain of mithril, a small chunk of dark blue ice has been carved into the likeness of a nahar spider, the detail almost impossibly intricate. Small droplets of water periodically coalesce on the pendent before refreezing, giving the impression that the spider is alive and moving. Light refracts off the multifaceted surfaces of the eight minute sapphires of purest blue, set into the ice as if the eyes of the spider.

Love it. I was just trying to make a "strange, spiderweb pendant" in-game and this game me some interesting new ideas to work with!
  • Agrias said:

a pendant of stormy seas

Hand-blown glass has been shaped into a tear drop, with a loop at the top through which hangs a leather cord that rests comfortably around the neck when worn. Small runes are etched into the surface of the glass that shimmer faintly in the light. Within, a turbulent sea squall rages and blusters. The winds and skies visible are a deep, dark grey in colour. The sea is wine-dark and churns violently upon itself as it roils and whips around in a frenzy. A small ship, set to scale, sits on the crest of a wave, defiant of the storm that rages around it. The vessel shakes and trembles at the waves and the wind, yet still manages to stay afloat.
    Love, love, love it. So much awesome here, @Agrias. Here is my stygian feather pendant (blood pendant):

Suspended from a slender cord of greying leather encircling the neck, a delicate feather pendant hangs from its quill by an intricate, gordian knot. Amidst the long, languid black barbs of the swan's plume, each curling outward from the silvery vane at its centre, flecks of ash are visible, testifying to its frequent use in smudging ceremonies.

• AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Bluef said:

Agrias said:

a pendant of stormy seas

Love, love, love it. So much awesome here, @Agrias. Here is my stygian feather pendant (blood pendant):

Suspended from a slender cord of greying leather encircling the neck, a delicate feather pendant hangs from its quill by an intricate, gordian knot. Amidst the long, languid black barbs of the swan's plume, each curling outward from the silvery vane at its centre, flecks of ash are visible, testifying to its frequent use in smudging ceremonies.

Perfectly described. Concise is always the prettiest. You should see the fish scale tunic I did for Malaphus.

'a duskfin tunic'

I don't have the extended handy, but it was the short that made the item.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Agrias did a lovely job with my falcon.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited April 2014
    Lifevision mask, with a bit of Mithridates' theme

an unadorned silver mask

A plain, silver masks is discarded here, eerily 
    emotionless.

Starkly emotionless, this silver mask gives off a dull shine. Set in the form of a strong-jawed human face, it possesses two holes for eyes and two for the nostrils. The lips curve into a very slight frown, and it's cheekbones are gaunt and hollow. In general, the mask gives off a haunting, apathetic appearance.   

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Something, something fire.

Something, something heat.

Something, something, my knuckles.

Do I have to post the whole thing?
  • NocrothNocroth New York, NY
    I got a bow for, I don't know, fun. I got a little, hmm, enthusiastic with the description.

a reflexed longbow of corrupted heartwood

Cast upon the ground, a sinister longbow rests here.

Teterrimous materials of diverse origins have been brought together in this bow's construction, harvested from sacrifices infernal and mundane. At the weapon's core is wood drawn from the heart of a ruined birch, irrevocably tainted by powers malign; the glistening, blackened surface is covered over with symbols profane, a hellish inscription writ in boustrophedon. Over its elegant back run strips of foul sinew, and a layer of vile horn reinforces its belly. String bridges of treated ivory adorn either knee near sharply recurved ears stiffened by laths of milky bone. Pale dryadic leather wraps the ear bases and riser, inlaid above and below the grip with pentagrams sanguineously inscribed. The product of fastidious fabrefaction, this fell weapon represents the pinnacle of the bowyer's craft.
  • @Nocroth : First problem spotted. I don't think it's necessary to overuse adjectives either, gets tiring after a certain degree.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    If anyone wants some design work done, I'm dying of boredom at work. PM me, no charge or anything.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• NocrothNocroth New York, NY
    @Exelethril Hah! Yeah, I usually opt for simpler descriptors, but damn if I didn't want an excuse to use that word (and a couple of other rarities).
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Jurixe said:

If anyone wants some design work done, I'm dying of boredom at work. PM me, no charge or anything.

You're almost as cheap as I am!
    On that note, if anyone happens to read this in the next...two hours or so and wants something designed, I might be available again.

No, I don't really know what I do at work - nothing, apparently, except refresh forums a lot.

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    I've actually yet to see anything you've made. Send me an example so I may judge you. I shall send you some of my work, and you may judge me as well, @Jurixe‌.
    Well, the people I've done stuff for recently can paste the descriptions if they want to! Not really going to judge, though, everyone has different styles and there's no real 'good' or 'bad' way to do things beyond the standards.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Jurixe is excellent with designing, better than @Agrias
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."