Voice recognition with Achaea.

I decided to write a post about my joy with using voice recognition software to play Achaea with and perhaps do some searching around for links as to where you might be able to find software that will work for you.

I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it works really well however the premium version is a bit hefty on the price tag. There are home editions, and student options available, not only does this help with Achaea, but makes chatting online, emailing, writing your next novel much easier.

I believe Windows 8 has voice recognition software, here is a Video Tutorial to get it set up. (Sadly I am stuck on Vista, but I love it.)

As far as Mac users, pretty sure that's already set up for voice recognition, but I'm not sure what kind of mud client you use.

I think using voice recognition software, especially if you have privacy, makes interacting with people here in Achaea, very intuitive and role-playing is much more exciting for me when I can just say emote bows with magnificent grace, then buckles in pain as his hip gives out.

As voice recognition software gets better and better, mobile role-play on Achaea becomes more and more perceivable in my mind.  it's hard to chicken scratch out follow rip but I can easily say

Follow rip, kick rat, kill rat...

Anyways, something to think about for everyone.  I would love to hear how it works out for all.  Take care. 

Comments

• Link: Voice recognition help for Windows seven (So jelly about that computer setup in the video!)

Link: Voice recognition for DOS 3.0 <- HAHAHA that's a joke! Come on guys and gals!

• @Daeir - I am not going to lie and say it's 100% perfect.  Sometimes there are quite a few grammar errors to fix, but when it comes right down to it, once you get used to using your voice to tell the computer what to do it's rather, pleasant.

That's what I like about Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it learns every time you use it, as you continue to correct yourself, it remembers.

So you can type and talk, best of both worlds.

• It's actually pretty badass, but you have specify most punctuation, spend quite a bit of time training it
  • @Strata - I have to talk slow and like a robot, and be sure to check for grammar errors.  

The downside being it's not very private, and yes I still use my keyboard for I words, names that it won't recognize.

The other day I was cleaning my keyboard I was shocked to find a warning label in orange slapped on the bottom, expressing the health risks involved in using a keyboard and mouse. Changed my point of view of how much I love to type.

Anyways, just thought I share some fun ways to play this game.

@Mannimar - Do you use Dragon NaturallySpeaking as well?  I wouldn't consider this for anything else besides role-playing and chatting, really has made me a better wordsmith in the long run, it's much easier to say the word marvelous and astronomical then to try to figure out a spell that because I'm very terrible at spelling.

• I use it for writing, but not for playing. I just don't want to train it for all of the ridiculous names in the game
  • I type names, and use the TAB key function to finish them off,but I hear you.  When someone showed me the TAB key I rejoiced inside.  Really, what a blessing.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Buddy of mine uses their app for his phone, since he's so forgetful he'll just leave notes for his next book or whatever he needs to remember. He say it's really good. 

• AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Rip said:

@Daeir - I am not going to lie and say it's 100% perfect.  Sometimes there are quite a few grammar errors to fix, but when it comes right down to it, once you get used to using your voice to tell the computer what to do it's rather, pleasant.

That's what I like about Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it learns every time you use it, as you continue to correct yourself, it remembers.

So you can type and talk, best of both worlds.

But what if I never need to correct myself...?
  • Just started using the voice recognition and the only problem I have with it is that I'm unable to use it to dictate in text fields such as this. The commands work great, it dictates great in wordpad, but when I want to use it here or on mudlet it just doesn't do anything. Anybody know why this is?
  • Hmm, I haven't tried anything other than Dragon Naturally Speaking.  I bought it then found out that windows came with voice activation (maybe that's different than voice recognition)

What operating system do you have?

• Windows 7
  • Mac's automator and Speech apps make voice controls incredibly easy.  It can also talk back with a simple command line message from lua.
  • @Vithincus, It's depressing it won't work with mudlet, perhaps there is some other voice software on the market, that you can try.

Seems there are a couple options besides Dragon Naturally Speaking,

Here is a list of other voice software you might find useful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speech_recognition_software

@Ernam, Yes macs are super nice to work with as far as voice and reading text.  Wish Microsoft would get the hint.