what shaped your character?

I think I have a "rough" idea of the kind of the type of roleplay that would be interesting for my character and that won't be so extreme or intrusive as to be annoying, but I don't think you can quite know how your character will be shaped by the world around it.  So what situations helped shaped your character?  Were there any defining moments in interaction with another player, an influence of your organization, or a world wide event that really gave you a sense of who he/she was?  Or were there any moments that made you realize your character was suddenly going in a new direction that you did not expect?  What helped shape those changes?

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

Comments

• Definitely interplay with Greys's family, mentor, housemates.  What helped me with Greys is a clear concept of him, I figure out some quirks, some things he is very passionate about, hobbies, and then just let him roll.  I wasn't sure if he would still be interesting to play after Shallam and Lady Selene were gone but his new order and city feel even a better match.  Funny that it took 250+ years for him to finally come into his element.  Honestly, this is a question you could find a much better answer to in game though by talking to people rather than an OOC forum.  Roleplaying I don't feel is something you really need to metagame.
  • The major thing that made Achimrst what he is was when Mannimar, the Prophet of the Spirit walker house at the time, told him that the spirits calling for help wasn't his problem and that another house member was supposed to take care of it. Because of a series of events which happened in my characters past, when I was a noob running around figuring out what to do, I decided to do what I used to and find stuff on my own! 
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    edited April 2014
    The people who have me on ignore and the issues written on me. Edit: j/k :)
  • AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty terrible at RP but I would say family, as well as Houses. Despite making the move to Mhaldor I do not think I really was shaped until I (Alcinae) decided to abandon his previous family to become a Nithilar. That in itself was painful process as I never really gave notice that I was leaving but I felt as though it caused my character to further solidify himself as an active Mhaldorian by throwing away everything he had from the past.

As for Houses, making the change from a Shaman in the Congregation and switching to a serpent in the Naga definitely helped to shape my character as well. Previously I found Alcinae without much of a direction but nowadays I find myself playing more of a librarian-ish role due to it. But ultimately its the people you talk to that count, I guess.

I think that Alcinae previously was without purpose because I never took the time to talk and RP with others besides a select few, and never really opened up my horizons until then. Like the above, this is definitely better found in game. Gotta experience it!
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Booze and his loyalties being shifted about. Seeing the "truth" of things, his own mental instabilities, his own weaknesses. All sorts of junk.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Mhaldorian culture in general, the high standard of roleplay and being extremely blessed to have been able to interact with zealous legends who Jurixe really looked up to and aspired to become. The Naga, especially, and the people who Jurixe grew up with have been such a core part of shaping who Jurixe is as a person and is by far the most interesting roleplay I have found in Achaea.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Getting griefed when Mith was 18/19.

• edited April 2014
    Achimrst said:
    The major thing that made Achimrst what he is was when Mannimar, the Prophet of the Spirit walker house at the time, told him that the spirits calling for help wasn't his problem and that another house member was supposed to take care of it. 
    Pretty sure that never happened, and if it did, pretty sure I misunderstood the situation, or it was 4 am and I had to wake up an hour later.
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    Being adopted by @Texel‌ into the Akechi family. The Black Lotus and Hashan. His cousin @Illyose‌ betraying the Lotus. Caoi getting demon possessed. Getting through it . Mhaldor. For sure was a pretty big thing. Aaand @Tharvis‌ and the other farethi. Being a rogue. Meeting @Achimrst‌ and becoming friends.

Most of the stuff was completely unplanned. The possession thing was planned, but it sent him in a directions I never expected. Point is...without the tons of people caoi has met over the years and the places he has been and the things he has learned. He wouldnt be who he is today. Honestly..he was just supposed to be this white knight kind of character. My best friend said that with what i had at first. He could have been a Shallamese knight. Heh

• edited April 2014
    Neither Romeo nor Juliet were around, but @Fendo found and later inducted Karai into the Sect. Despite what people say of Hashan and the Lotus, there is a great history, theology and awesome RP. I just wish more got into it but it takes a little more effort than in some other cities, generally anyway. There's a lot of joking around, it's hard to stay serious. I participated in a lot of debates throughout, trying to get a good handle on the lore and all that. In fact, I was friends with many Crystalline and was rather fond of some Mhaldorians, especially the culture. Her father was Qashar, mentor was Kharon and then an enemy of the Sect, and her love interest was just a star-crossed mess. I was lucky to have a lot of interactions with @Artemis and @Twilight. Nothing ever planned, I just started with what I thought would be interesting and let it develop. I do have a few things I'd like to work on, though. Always wanted to continue where @Element, @Rall and @Aringar left off. Hopefully I'm doing well there.
  • @Melodie and interactions stemming off of her, primarily. Couldn't be happier :)
  • Hoo boy, let's see. I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible.

Trey is a Squire in the Maldaathi Guild, Mhaldor needs Magi in a bad way. Join the Sorcerers of Hashan to get training as a Magi. He likes the change of scenery so much he decides to stay for the next hundred and fifty years, regardless of finding out he's not great at Elementalism and going back to what he knows as an Infernal when they become the Merchants. Makes a huge name for himself as a blacksmith, gets knighted as a member of the Sovereign Blades (not to be confused with the Knights of Hashan).

Most of the cock-swagger, sly arrogance, cassanova stuff and whatnot developed when he became the Merchant HL, taking the reigns of the house as a necessity when the former HL took the gold, credits and whatnot and ran. I had a lot of fun taking his personality in that direction. Meanwhile, Mhaldorian Knights are calling him home consistently, @Xenomorph, @Carmain and @Batista the big influences to come back a while after being contested for HL. Join the Order of Phaestus just before Mhaldor, both are great. Get knighted a second time. Take back the Master Forge of the Infernals. Go through the Bal'met wars.

And there's 300+ years for you. I have a ton of fun playing Trey as he is in Mhaldor. He's cocky, irreverent at times, and not the most devout, but follows direct orders immediately and without question.

@Trey‌ totally going to convert you to Vastarian!

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Caoimhaen what'd I tell you about converting without permission?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

edited April 2014
    @Tharvis‌ but tharviiiiis. He isnt the most devout. There is a chance! Please let me convert this one? Heheh

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Caoimhaen said:
    @Tharvis‌ but tharviiiiis. He isnt the most devout. There is a chance! Please let me convert this one? Heheh
    fine, use the hammer of conversion. Remember, aim for the head and do the obligatory "HOLE IN ONE" yell
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited April 2014
    Kyrton said:
    I think I have a "rough" idea of the kind of the type of roleplay that would be interesting for my character and that won't be so extreme or intrusive as to be annoying, but I don't think you can quite know how your character will be shaped by the world around it.  So what situations helped shaped your character?  Were there any defining moments in interaction with another player, an influence of your organization, or a world wide event that really gave you a sense of who he/she was?  Or were there any moments that made you realize your character was suddenly going in a new direction that you did not expect?  What helped shape those changes?
    Flair. 

That's my simple answer. Now for my more in-depth one:

When I first joined Achaea, I had never played anything remotely like it before. Flair introduced me to roleplaying and online gaming. His style of play also influenced who Bluef would later become in ways that I'm still unraveling today. He was and continues to be one of the most beloved figures in Achaea - even by those who roleplay hating him. Why? Because he approached Achaea with the basic idea that he was writing a story for himself and others to enjoy and take part in. 

After I'd been playing 50 IC years (yes, it took me at least that long to figure out what Achaea was all about and what roleplaying was), the timing was perfect for me to start Bluef's life over and give it a real, informed whirl:

The Occultists were anti-Babelonian back then (it was before He had truly emerged as a roleplayed divine character). There was great animity between those of Eris and Indrani in that organization as well. Twilight, who had been another shaping influence for many players of my Achaean generation, had recently gone dormant. Ourania's second (or third?) incarnation was still pretty new and emerging.

Flair and I set out to join her Order, Hashan, and the Spirit Walkers, and the rest, as they say, is history. But it's a history that wouldn't have happened without Flair's early influence in my character's life or the timing of all things being what they once were.
  • Mannimar said:
    Achimrst said:
    The major thing that made Achimrst what he is was when Mannimar, the Prophet of the Spirit walker house at the time, told him that the spirits calling for help wasn't his problem and that another house member was supposed to take care of it. 
    Pretty sure that never happened, and if it did, pretty sure I misunderstood the situation, or it was 4 am and I had to wake up an hour later.
    it in fact happened, Achimrst asked you about the voices that another house member had made a news post about and @Alcinae and Achimrst had been talking about it and Achimrst decided to talk to Mannimar about it. This is the sole reason Achimrst does nothing but insult @Mannimar because in his eyes Mannimar is an apathetic enemy to the spirits. I send you a letter about this once! You should know this stuff! I didn't log the conversation because I didn't think I needed to, but Achimrst had a conversation with Mannimar at the parade of founders and Mannimar told him that the issue was the other walkers responsibility to take care of it, or something to that effect. Maybe I did mishear it. Although still nothing was ever done about it and Achimrst had to research the damn thing all by himself. Which is also in a news post in...Wytches I think it is.
    edited April 2014
    @Achimrst‌ that very event that your character told caoi about is part of why he doesnt take the Spirit Walkers seriously.(and yes this was while caoi was a rogue). This of course he keeps secret from the Spirit Walkers. How he actually feels about their house as a whole. He would assume talk to achimrst, @Tharvis‌, or @Aduan‌ about his spiritual issues.

Whether or not it was like that...certain characters are still effected icly by what you/your character remembers. And through that more that one person was effected. Which just goes to show how decent rp can make the characters have a life of their own. And really what makes achaea so fun to play. At least for me.

• KyrtonKyrton California
    Daslin said:
    Booze and his loyalties being shifted about. Seeing the "truth" of things, his own mental instabilities, his own weaknesses. All sorts of junk.
    Just for clarification are you referring to yourself in the third person as the incarnation of alcohol?

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Kyrton You've not met Daslin yet, I think...

Daslin is booze. Booze is Daslin.  We are one in the same. We r leejun.

Aaaand yes.

• Nim died like two or three times getting her sword after someone gave her a copy of a house scroll of where to find the ingredients. That taught her not to really fear death, and set her along a path of eventually seeing it as something to conquer, master, or just in general joke about.

Seeing @Iocun pull a serpent out of phase during a lecture to said serpent's death by the nearby guards impressed her quite a bit. She thought the naga were kind of cool, that they could (and were willing to) spy on philosophy lectures, but she also thought @Iocun was that much cooler for being able to counter their attempts. It gave her a major crush on him that ended up causing really big things - and it all happened because a random naga happened to stick around.

The fact that the naga apparently had comments on the lecture, and the fact the lecturer was willing to share them, also impressed on her that even enemies might have things of value to say, diluting her sense of friend vs enemy.

Her early day spars with... wow, I forget the name of the blademaster that was her first rival for all about an IRL week, but with that guy, as well as other random novices at the time, and a hundred times especially @Nellaundra, all probably formed her into ever getting into combat. Newbie combat is pretty freaking amazing, folks - in a harsh "oh, you forgot restoration? Looks like you've lost!" kind of way. Try fighting a magi without caloric or even a tree tattoo! Good thing alleviate works on freeze.

Joining the Mojushai and learning their ideals, both through lectures, discussions with Iocun, preparing her own lectures, and a lot of meditation, all lead to her getting a pretty strong philosophical view on life.

Being pulled into Pandora's order has given her a sharp purpose in life, for which Cyrene suffers her ire at every turn for being so far from an ideal setting to achieve that purpose - but, by this stage in life, Nim has decided to be (as @Aerek calls it) hardcore. Even if someone bought her all the artefacts, she'd be unlikely to use them. Still, it's made her kind of grumpy.

@Iocun going dormant a lot has also made her grumpy, and has given her a somewhat sadistic opinion toward him. She likes him, but they're not quite around at the same time often enough to develop those feelings any further than that. She also hates him a lot. Probably, the only thing keeping her from killing him is the fact that @Iocun is just so absurdly good at this combat thing compared to me. :c I'm afraid of what would happen if the two ever split up!

Becoming a minister of war hasn't quite affected her yet, since she's still not completely sure how to handle it. For some reason, Cyrenian politics scare her in ways that death and war never, ever could. She's not merely afraid that she's not ready for the position - she's utterly certain of it, and I'm doing her no favors by being busy with work. :c

She's evolved quite a bit from me being bored one night and deciding to make a character on a pure whim with the concept of "I'll let her choose her class/house/city/life" - and boy has she chosen things!

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2014
    Jerk.

What I mean to say is, while Rho was the "bad" side of what pushed Melodie into her role as a priestess, @Aerek was the inspiration to the good part of it, and helped shape my character long, long before we really knew each other beyond a professional interest in helping each other. That it all came to a head later was pretty unpredictable and quite fun, and it was partly thanks to him that Melodie was able to begin letting go at all.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I think when I first started out in Achaea, the biggest influences to me were the people who became Ruth's parents: @Gerohold and @Ibayn. Both taught her the value of family and the love of history. Unfortunately, while I was playing during this period of time, I was young and did not actually have an idea of how I wanted to play Ruth, so she came across as a very silly, naive girl who had idealistic perceptions of what it took to be a Knight of Good. Other significant individuals that did help to shape her serious, thoughtful nature now were @Lereas, @Trenia and @Goryllin.

When I returned from two RL years or so of non-playing, I realized that my younger self shifted Ruth to the Black Lotus in Hashan after autoclass was introduced. More mature now, I made the conscious decision to play Ruth with a little conflict of her old values: by dropping the Paladin class for pursuing membership to Apollyon's Order. To be fair, I didn't have a clue still then that Apollyon was one of the exclusive Evil gods but the way my application (even though I was Hashani) was considered seriously made all the difference to me. I still consider the interview for entrance to the pre-order as one of the best interactions that has influenced Ruth's religious fervor. It scared the bejeebus out of her to know that her suitability for the pre-order was assessed by people in power in Mhaldor, some of whom (after she became Adikoi) did not think her a worthy candidate, further spurred her desire to prove them wrong.

During my stint in Hashani office, I feel that the most significant individuals who helped to shape Ruth's leadership style would mainly be @Twilight, @Sabiru and Apollyon, as well as @Bleak and @Laytron‌. Be it good or bad, I think Ruth learnt a lot from the guidances each provided, not just what it means to lead, but also of subterfuge, of Evil, faith and also what it means to do everything and anything for a cause.

This ultimately led to Ruth's decision to abandon everything in Hashan for a life in Mhaldor, which to date, still remains as one of the most life-changing event to happen to her. It might be arrogant, but Ruth often looks back at the path that took her to where she is now, and considers herself as one of the best living proof, especially to converts, that unwavering service and loyalty to Evil has its rewards.

To sum up my general thoughts though, I find that it gets easier to shape your character if you involve yourself more with other people, even those outside your organizations. Some decisions you must make can be hard, but if you make one, remember that you made your bed, so you must lie in it. It's not so easy to go back on a decision and more importantly, don't let yourself be pressured to make a decision that goes against your own. In my opinion, it'll destroy what efforts you've made to establish or bring credibility to your character. Otherwise, be bold and never be afraid to start conflicts or make yourself heard.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• @Rip, I thought I was talking to a chameleoned SS. Had no idea who you were. Nice on RIP, snuck one past 'em there didn't ya? 

Being one of the last Kharon, watching it turn into the Black Lotus and watching the house ebb and flow has taken it's toll on Texel and his player. Oh gods the angst, but as always the Kharon spirit prevails. @Branwen, @Transk, @Caoimhaen, @Lanar being an Akechi has always been important to Texel. I can't imagine not being Akechi, it defines who Texel is and how he views the world, even if it is strewn a bit from history. (sorry akechi's (and @draqoom) we aren't actually royalty, DT (@keitaro) missed the empire by a few years. 

@Timotheus shaped and evolved Texel's respect for @Ourania but failed to convert him to her cause, lack of faith is still a problem some 200 years later. 

As for more recent events. Well those who know know, and those who don't will. Hopefully we can do something with Hashan soon. 
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."