Curing

Comments

• Sarapis said:
    Decan said:
    Kuy said:
    Decan said:
    I still dont agree, and sum up the argument for it like this:

I dont like to pk bash because I have to invest time and effort into setting up a client finding places to bash so the game should do all that for me so I can play better be dragon with as little effort as possible on my side.
    I claim false analogy.
    this analogy could be made for anything in achaea: I dont want to try so make it easier for me. Thats the sum of it, be it boats, bashing, pk, politics, crafting, or anything else for that matter. If you dont see the similarities its because you choose not to
    If you've ever used a single trigger, a single alias, a single macro, you've done exactly what you're complaining about: Made the game easier for you. Unless you're prepared to play Achaea on a plain vanilla telnet connection, manually typing out all commands without any triggers, aliases, or macros, you've got no leg to stand on when you complain about things being made easier.

Hell, you can have aliases and triggers, just have to play on GMud as your client, difficulty increased a thousand fold.
  • (Which is a pleasant surprise to us, btw. We expected a lot more outrage from this change than we've gotten, just based on how negatively Tecton and I initially viewed the idea before we really thought about it, looked at how Imperian's players have reacted to it, did a pros and cons list that showed what an obvious call doing server-side rather than an html5 client-side system is, etc.)
  • You guys made the right call.  I've got my friends willing to play now, because they don't have to manual sip health, or fight off some jerkbag with a working system.
    *Animated Signature*

• AlexandreAlexandre Raleigh, North Carolina

That's a great response to see. I hope more e-mails come in reiterating what that person said. It'll go a long way in showing some that are still disgruntled that the change is for the overall best of the game.

• So it turns out I can still curb stomp people who have no advanced knowledge of combat, or priorities. I AM PLEASED. I guess I just need to add an extra 7 fashions.
  • edited April 2014
    Sarapis said:

Decan said:

Kuy said:

Decan said:
    I still dont agree, and sum up the argument for it like this:

I dont like to pk bash because I have to invest time and effort into setting up a client finding places to bash so the game should do all that for me so I can play better be dragon with as little effort as possible on my side.

I claim false analogy.

this analogy could be made for anything in achaea: I dont want to try so make it easier for me. Thats the sum of it, be it boats, bashing, pk, politics, crafting, or anything else for that matter. If you dont see the similarities its because you choose not to

If you've ever used a single trigger, a single alias, a single macro, you've done exactly what you're complaining about: Made the game easier for you. Unless you're prepared to play Achaea on a plain vanilla telnet connection, manually typing out all commands without any triggers, aliases, or macros, you've got no leg to stand on when you complain about things being made easier.

I agree wholeheartedly that by me doing any of those things Ive made the game easier for me. Please read that carefully, "_I_ made the game easier", because _I_ cared enough to learn something new and didnt resort to being spoon fed or quitting because something was new and unfamiliar.

If all you want is a modified Diku mud, there are many of them to choose from. But @Sarapis, I know thats not want you wanted. I know and remember vividly that you wanted a custom and complex game that didnt just "cater" to people and that rewarded the merit of the individual to learn and grown their own personal knowledge. 

Maybe Im way off base though, maybe I remember wrong, maybe you only did it to sell credits, make money and pander to the masses, maybe you didnt want to be the best mud, just the most profitable one. Maybe you wanted to make WoW but without graphics. I cant say for sure, but what I can say is that originality and uniqueness is what made the game great in its "golden age" and having an autocuring system built in, while a grand feat in and of itself, is not what I would call original or unique.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Raleigh, North Carolina
    *facepalm*

Spoon fed, really? Really?

I'm sorry you disagree and have a dislike for them implementing a server-side curing system, but you're starting to really over do it with the passive aggressiveness.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes having things done for you because your too -insert adjective here- to do it for yourself is the very definition of being spoon fed. Im sorry you disagree that being interested in something enough to take the initiative to learn new skills and invest the time to be better at it is somehow insulting to you.

Pif: Im making the point that just because it is, doesnt mean it should be. I understand why it was done, probably better than most, but just because I understand, doesnt mean I agree with it.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    One last thing here....

I don't think people realize how much RP is as rewarding as combat/bashing. Seriously.

Achaea isn't dead. The system is a neat thing. Helps me go from random ass .5s+ ping to getting it to a reasonable level when I had 50 dl speeds. On top of that. The system doesn't break combat. Cry about illusions all day, I don't care. Guess what, -I- used them too! OMG WHAT?! A MONK USED ILLUSIONS!? OMGOMGOMG

Learn other ways. They're going to balance shit, alright? So stop. It's childish, petty, and absolutely ridiculous. Be glad that we're going to have more newbie retention on this alone. Not even counting in the lesson packages.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    What is this I don't even.
  • @Tecton I understand that people should not be be forced to spend 20 USD on SVO, but people spend so much money on Achaea, that I respectfully disagree with that argument. I agree with all the other reasons you stated, however if people spent RL money on illusion based abilities, this kind of sucks and they should get some sort of benefit, if possible (No, I am not one of them).
    Light prevails, always
  • Shibumi said:

@Tecton I understand that people should not be be forced to spend 20 USD on SVO, but people spend so much money on Achaea, that I respectfully disagree with that argument. I agree with all the other reasons you stated, however if people spent RL money on illusion based abilities, this kind of sucks and they should get some sort of benefit, if possible (No, I am not one of them).

They could have gotten those abilities or the Staff of Illusion by getting credits ingame by putting in time. I guess yoi can add the Lifevision Mask too since half of its use is gone.

But changes happen in Achaea. Everyone should know that by now.
  • I really love my Staff of Illusions but this is a good change. I would have never bothered with PK had it not been for ACP and found out I loved it. I would have never written my own system from scratch but in being given a decent foundation, I have learned and scripted a ton of stuff in later years. Thank you Admins for giving other newbies that chance.

• @Jacen Yup, you totally found me out there. Except that before someone bought SVO for me (I never paid for it) I actually took the time to learn how to take a copy made for someone else, extract all the code from the back end, modify it so that it had my name in it, (SVO is hard coded for each individual character which is why you cant just hand it out and it work for someone else) and then use it that way. Considering I had all the back end code now too, I was able to tweak a few things here or there that you normally couldnt change.

So, as you can see, I did a little more work for it than most did and didnt just take the easy route. Before that I had Acropolis running on Zmud 7.62 which I basicly gutted and rewrote, using mostly only the lines and aff tables from the original. Before that I had my own system back in the days of ACP. Ive never paid for a system to play Achaea (actually I bought Omni1 with in game credits just to look at the code structure so I could write illusions against it but never used it for curing myself because I had modded Acropolis at that point). 

But then again I dont expect anyone else to go to those lengths to play the game (especially new players), and Im with @Dragonknight on praising the day there are no more clientside systems being made and sold to the masses as is the case in the other muds with auto cure, should make for a fun arena event one day.
  • edited April 2014
    Please be quiet.

WTB a *sigh* button for some of these posts.

This discussion has been closed.