AB RUNELORE ENTOMB

1. Entomb (Runelore)                         Known: No (1740 lessons required)
  2. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. Syntax:            ENTOMB <adventurer>
  4. Works on/against:  Adventurers
  5. Details:
  6. By channeling your will into the earth beneath you by using your Runeblade as a medium, you may permanently entomb an unfortunate victim. Doing so will cause the very earth to swallow them whole. Only those who have suffered severe internal trauma will fall victim to such a feat, and the only thing left behind will be their previously spilled entrails.
  7. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  10. ENTOMB KENWAY
  12. Summoning your will into your Runeblade, you quickly kneel beside the disemboweled body of Kenway. Ignoring his cries for mercy, you raise your blade above your head with both hands and close your eyes. Knowing the earth will heed your command, you viciously drive the inscribed blade deep through Kenway's missing midsection. With a low rumble, the ground beneath him begins to gives way. As Kenway falls unceremoniously into his tomb, the earth closes behind him - his screaming coming to an abrupt end.
  15. MECHANICS
  17. This ability may only be used on an adventurer that has been disemboweled and still prone.
  20. VISUAL
  22. --- The gates of Mhaldor --------- 0:-6:1 ---
  23. A noxious, red-hued fog overwhelms the area with a thick, palpable vapour. Some graffiti has been scrawled here. It reads, "Know ye that there is no truth greater than Evil." There are 5 knights of the Maldaathi here. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. An enormous slab of volcanic obsidian towers over this area, the regulations of Mhaldor etched upon its face. An occupied iron gibbet, suspended from a wooden gallows, creaks ominously in the breeze. A ladder of long, soft leaves comprises a wispy Weaver's Fern along the ground. An enormous slab of volcanic obsidian towers over this area, the laws of Mhaldor etched upon its face. An obsidian eye sigil is here. The broken fragments of a basalt altar litter the ground around the massive form of a bloodsteel stalagmite. A huge statue of the Scimitar of Yen-Sorte stands here, thrusting skywards. The disemboweled entrails of Kenway mark this place as his final tomb.
  24. You see exits leading east, south, west, and up.
[2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you

Comments

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Vivisexual.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Severe internal trauma = level 2 torso? And you'll need to do it after someone has just been disemboweled and still prone?

Probably won't happen very much at all.

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I really like this. Both flavor and function-wise. Trouble is though, this means that while Paladins still have to get a torso break(most likely ridiculous strength stats may not apply) to get a disembowel kill, Runies would be able to get kills with no torso prep what-so-ever. Which is pretty damn easy frankly. I feel a simpler and more balanced solution would be making broken torso disembowels instant kills. Not that I'd complain at all if we got this at all. Sounds freakin' delicious. I just worry it'd bring Runies back to their heyday of the damage trolls and speed rajas when they were one of the more overpowered classes in the game. Even as a Runie I don't want that. I am however, all for finesse and this has a lot more potential for that than current means of ensuring disembowels (which in the EMS field we call "injuries incompatible with life" just fyi) so with maybe some other required factor to entomb to help balance this out, I would really support this a lot.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Hasar said:
    Severe internal trauma = level 2 torso? And you'll need to do it after someone has just been disemboweled and still prone?

That's flavor text.  You just have to disembowel them, then perform the entomb before they stand.

If I'm thinking correctly, it would require you to break arm/leg/leg, impale, dsb, entomb.  I think you can stand after a DSB and before the knight gets balance back if they DSB you off a double leg break only.  If this isn't the case, it needs something else, of course.

If it's too easy, you can add in level 1 torso as a requirement.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
    Hasar said:
    Severe internal trauma = level 2 torso? And you'll need to do it after someone has just been disemboweled and still prone?

Happens all the damn time. Monks/Tarot users/people with ridiculous health and sip rings. It's due to the percentage thing. Dsl damage doesn't scale, so people with average health (4200-5000) take a good chunk of health just from the finishing blows of being prepped which means the 85% drop in health they take usually kills them. But people with massive health stores for example Iakimen, who with his favours and in dragon had over 14000 health and took 22 hits to break, your prep and runes can only do so much damage and they can pretty readily sip away the 85% drop. You'll at most scare the ever loving hell out of them 'cause they're not used to getting into the red.

• Kenway said:
    Dsl damage doesn't scale
    It does. The health scaling portion isn't even reduced by armour, only the static portion.
    Sena said:
    Kenway said:
    Dsl damage doesn't scale sufficiently to kill people with ridiculous health and high sips by reasonable means which is fine 'cause they have insane health and bought sip rings and they're entitled to both of those, but Runies really have no viable instakill to counter this as even hitting a totem doesn't mean you're going to get a behead/cleave. 
    It does. The health scaling portion isn't even reduced by armour, only the static portion.
    Did not know that. In that case...

There.

• Antonius said:

What's impale and disembowel balance with nimble? 3 or 3.5 seconds? This is going to be either far too easy or impossible depending on your doubleslash speed. Assuming your opponent doesn't tumble to avoid the disembowel in the first place.

My major concern with this is that it doesn't add anything interesting to the class mechanically. You're still all about disembowel, you just have something to follow it up with that guarantees a kill. No conflicting choices to be forced on your opponent, no real new options for runewardens to try in a fight.

I agree completely. The problem I have, though, is that I'm not well enough entrenched in the mechanics of knight combat to offer a unique choice in curing. I can, however, offer a little flavor and leave those sorts of things up to people like you.

At the end of the day, though, in artied Runewardens don't always have a means of killing someone. While I agree that counter play is a necessity, not being able to kill someone outright seems a bit problematic.

If it's not the case that there are people against whom Runewardens don't have a viable kill potential, then ignore this statement (and, potentially the entire idea that they need an insta-kill, anyway).

Keep in mind that if you also add level 1 torso damage as a requirement for Entomb itself, then the target has to cure her torso over curing her legs. This would prevent the insta, but the runewarden would have four more seconds of prone to work with.
  • I will like this when freezepound is an instakill

On another note, I think this actually has a lot of potential to be a proper instakill for runewardens. However, I really do feel that an instakill for pali's should be looked at first. DSB is great as it is, a bit hard to get off at times, but it is still very powerful.

Infernal is perfect as is, Pali needs a bit of work, and runie should come after that.

That being said, I think this is possibly one of the better ways to finish someone off. It is true that it does not add anything new, but it's giving runies the flavor text that they need for a good instant kill. IMHO, it should not be done after a proper DSB since that will normall kill them, but take the place of a DSB. If you get a level 1 torso and both legs, you honestly deserve to kill your oppenent.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Paladin should be fine if we get the right classleads this round. 44, 69, 74, 235 should solve issues with Damnation not being feasible a lot of the time.
  • I love the flavour, Kuy. I disagree that a level one torso and two broken legs should be an instant-kill, it isn't as difficult to achieve as people seem to think, and I'm hesitant to buff disembowel to an instant-kill while the weaponry changes still haven't gone through (new ships?). If a dsl is roughly 1.8 seconds, and it takes 7 doubleslashes to break a limb, that's 12 x 1.8 = 21.6 seconds. We can round that up to 30 seconds to account for any razing or hindrance. If we say you can get 4 doubleslashes off a double-arm break bypass, that's twice it takes to fully prep past parry. Then another 30 seconds to prep torso and the other leg. (30x2) + 30 + 30 really isn't that long for a fight, especially considering Knights have excellent hindrance in venoms, damage and their falcon and can take advantage of momentum pretty effectively all while having excellent physical damage mitigation and other defensive skills in gravehands/piety/wunjo and nairat, and blessings/algiz/putrefaction, etcetera. 

Plus, that's the longest, most tedious method in the first place.

Perhaps Entomb could be a rune, which upon being sketched creates an ethereal tomb (No way!) in the room about a target which causes tumble to be canceled should they be impaled through their midsection down to their potential grave, by the sketcher of the rune. If the disembowel knocks them down to below 10% of their max health, the tomb then swallows them and encases their corpse in the tomb for a period of x days. All flavour would remain the same as what Kuy said.
  • Jovolo said:
    I love the flavour, Kuy. I disagree that a level one torso and two broken legs should be an instant-kill.
    Let me clarify the current suggestion:

You must disembowel an opponent, then perform the Entomb before they stand up but while they still have a level 1 torso break.

This means that to avoid the entomb, you must cure the level 1 torso break before they can Entomb you.  If you do, you're prone an extra 4 seconds after a DSB, allowing the runewarden to apply more free damage.  You you don't, the Entomb kills you.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I can see this rapidly growing overpowered if the runewarden has an ally that can also do limb breaks
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Or they just tumble behind a wall and cure torso after standing up. You'd need arm/leg/leg to get the entomb, that's plenty of warning for what you're going to do (as opposed to most Runewardens being able to disembowel off of just two legs, thanks to weapon runes and fast rapiers). Disembowel is incredibly easy to avoid when you have to add that arm break in.
  • @Tharvis: Not really. You'd need to double break legs with a torso, get the disembowel, then entomb. That's considerably more effort than a lot of other options two people have to kill somebody.
  • Antonius said:
    Or they just tumble behind a wall and cure torso after standing up. You'd need arm/leg/leg to get the entomb, that's plenty of warning for what you're going to do (as opposed to most Runewardens being able to disembowel off of just two legs, thanks to weapon runes and fast rapiers). Disembowel is incredibly easy to avoid when you have to add that arm break in.
    Even with arm/leg/leg, you'd need a dsl at 1.6 minimum considering impale/disembowel recovery almost matches salve balance (1.6x3=4.8s). I love the flavour, just think the mechanics should be reworked.
  • Antonius said:
    Or they just tumble behind a wall and cure torso after standing up. You'd need arm/leg/leg to get the entomb, that's plenty of warning for what you're going to do (as opposed to most Runewardens being able to disembowel off of just two legs, thanks to weapon runes and fast rapiers). Disembowel is incredibly easy to avoid when you have to add that arm break in.
    Is writhe time increased specifically by legs, or will a broken arm also increase it?
  • Jovolo said:
    Antonius said:
    Even with arm/leg/leg, you'd need a dsl at 1.6 minimum considering impale/disembowel recovery almost matches salve balance (1.6x3=4.8s). I love the flavour, just think the mechanics should be reworked.
    Like I said - I know too little about knight mechanics.  People just keep repeating that Runies need something, but no one has offered anything other than making torso break DSB an instakill (which would affect more than just runies and is a bad idea for balance - see, Frenzy).
  • edited April 2014
    @Kuy: Two broken legs increases writhe time by a large amount (a bit more than doubles it, I think), nothing else has any effect.

@Jovolo: Not sure where you got those numbers from. Disembowel with nimble is under 3 seconds, around 2.8 for me (probably 2.7 in reality, I suspect it's the old 3 second unmodified balance time that's now being affected by Nimble). Impale is a fair bit longer at ~3.6 seconds (3.5 sounds right without latency). That's roughly 6.5 seconds for the impale and disembowel (with my not fantastic, British latency).

If you do arm, leg with delph/delph, leg with epteth/epteth then the best case for them is that they spend four seconds on arms, and nine on curing legs to stand, for a total of 13 seconds. If they apply mending to arms before the first restoration to legs then they can use tree for a leg, but they're still not standing in any less time. You should be able to squeeze an entomb in with the proposed mechanics with a ~2 second doubleslash, anything less just gives you more margin for error.

The issue is still tumble, since you'll never actually get the disembowel.
  • Kuy said:
    Antonius said:
    Is writhe time increased specifically by legs, or will a broken arm also increase it?
    It's just broken legs. 

I did offer an alternative, in entomb just preventing tumble if the target it's sketched for gets impaled by the sketcher and adding +10% to disembowel damage, but I still don't really like that idea. I'll admit that I personally am not a fan of disembowel all that much, and I'd rather see something for runewardens like focus time increased x2 or focusing causing anorexia, but those aren't instant-kills, just better methods of attaining a kill. I think Runewarden needs a little bit more combat definition. Infernal's get the salve instant-kill with vivisect, Paladin's get the rift-lock instant-kill with Damnation, Runewarden's get... dps and burst damage. It's hard to give them any affliction based instant-kills though, because they really have the best damage delivery of all the Knights with thurisaz and hugalaz and higher dps, so they would then become the strongest of all three while being the only neutral one of the three. 
  • Antonius said:
    -snip-
    Ah, yeah I assumed wrongly that impale and disembowel balance were almost equal, and I knew impale balance was 3.5 seconds. 6.5 sounds like a more feasible number then, but the fact remains, as you mentioned, that tumble will still prevent a disembowel if timed correctly, and you aren't going to get anyone off balance long enough for them to not start tumble before the impale doing the necessary arm/leg/leg.
  • I'm spoiled since I have Vivisect to work with (much more room for flexibility in setup than Disembowel), but I'm familiar with the problem of tumble. What about using Entomb as an rune to prevent movement for 4-5 seconds when it fires off, with dirt and rock encasing their feet? That seems like enough time bought that by the time they get to start tumble, you'll have enough time to get the disembowel off before they move. As flavor, could even have someone who dies to the entomber within ten seconds of being hit by it gets the 'swallowed by the earth' death/deathsight, with no body like vivi.

The one big problem I can see in this is that it'd naturally be a goto in group combat, pinning someone to take the punishment in melee. I definitely think at minimum it should be a unique sketch message (using the blade of your weapon, say) to warn the target that it's coming.

edited April 2014
    Jovolo said:
    I did offer an alternative, in entomb just preventing tumble if the target it's sketched for gets impaled by the sketcher and adding +10% to disembowel damage, but I still don't really like that idea. I'll admit that I personally am not a fan of disembowel all that much, and I'd rather see something for runewardens like focus time increased x2 or focusing causing anorexia, but those aren't instant-kills, just better methods of attaining a kill. I think Runewarden needs a little bit more combat definition. Infernal's get the salve instant-kill with vivisect, Paladin's get the rift-lock instant-kill with Damnation, Runewarden's get... dps and burst damage. It's hard to give them any affliction based instant-kills though, because they really have the best damage delivery of all the Knights with thurisaz and hugalaz and higher dps, so they would then become the strongest of all three while being the only neutral one of the three. 
    I tried not afflictions or salve based, but still factors in the fact that it's a prep class. I dunno. I think it'd be really great to get something through in this set of classleads so I'm eager to work on improving/balancing this whole idea:

Entomb <target>
    Requires that all six binding runes be carved into the flesh of the target.

Kenway darts quickly around your form, the tip of his blade carving a circle upon the ground around 
    where you stand. Turning slowly to face you, he bows his head and raises his weapon high above the rim of the circle, and, in a fluid motion kneels and drives the runeblade straight down into the earth. As the circle erupts into white flames, the runes on your flesh burn brightly, chains of light burring themselves in the ground. You feel a rush of power before your life ceases, bound to the very earth by the powers of Yggdrasil.
    You have been slain by Kenway.

Bind <target> <limb>
    Same balance time as impale, can only be done while target is prone. The limb that is targeted must also be mangled (level 2). Each binding rune lasts one minute (I'm actually not sure what would be a good amount of time) but is renewed when the next is carved.

Glowing runeblade in hand, you carve a rune in the shape of a shackle into the (right arm|left arm|right leg|left leg|torso|forehead) of Kenway.

---
    So to pull this off you'd have to break a leg with delph/delph along with whatever the limb is that you're trying to bind. So for example:
    ENTOMB                                                         DSB (via the longest prep method)
    Break both legs, that's 1.                           Break both arms. (May need repeated to fully prep leg.)
    Break both again, that's 2.                         Prep parried leg.
    Break leg and arm, that's 3.                       Break legs and arm.
    Break leg and other arm, that's 4.              Impale and Disembowel/watch them tumble.
    Break leg and torso, that's 5.                     
    Break leg and head, that's 6.
    Entomb

Runeist and target would see the bindings fade when the timer ran out (not if they're not in the room) and see them renew when a new one was carved.

Sounds nice to me and I'd like to think it's pretty balanced, but I've also been awake for a very long time so it's entirely possible that this is the most preposterous idea ever in the history of ever.

• When you say mangled (level 2) it sounds like you mean what I'd call broken (level 1). Essentially a single application of restoration to cure it.

That aside, that's a truly enormous amount of effort required and it would be incredibly frustrating to have the bindings fade when you're working on the last one. Obviously timings can be tweaked but I just don't know if that's actually something people would enjoy having to do.
  • This is a pretty cool idea and I don't mean this in a snarky way, but what would shamans get to offset another runelore skill that is focused only on (or best used by) runewardens? I mean y'all already have runeblades. Shamans already don't get to play with those, and we still don't even get to do anything with our hard earned tzantza-ed heads yet.

Once upon a time we were going to be given something to balance things out (early discussions were for things like runes on a staff that turned it into a buffing runestick of some kind if I recall correctly). Anyway, I don't mean derail your thread. I just thought it was something to keep in mind as it would likely be one of the main concerns brought up by people after something like this was actually implemented. 
    Antonius said:
    When you say mangled (level 2) it sounds like you mean what I'd call broken (level 1). Essentially a single application of restoration to cure it. That aside, that's a truly enormous amount of effort required and it would be incredibly frustrating to have the bindings fade when you're working on the last one. Obviously timings can be tweaked but I just don't know if that's actually something people would enjoy having to do.
    Crippled(1)[epseth/epteth] Mangled(2)[break] Mutilated(3)[double break]

I would absolutely like there to be less effort involved but on the other hand making it too easy is a surefire way to not get it to happen. I'd personally rather it be tedious and difficult and be an option than easy and simple and not exist. What do you think would be a more reasonable amount of effort required? Four runes, just on the extremities? My main reason for making it more tedious was that DSB remain the easier/more efficient option whereas entomb offers a sure thing.

• KuyKuy
    edited April 2014
    Bluef said:
    This is a pretty cool idea and I don't mean this in a snarky way, but what would shamans get to offset another runelore skill that is focused only on (or best used by) runewardens? I mean y'all already have runeblades. Shamans already don't get to play with those, and we still don't even get to do anything with our hard earned tzantza-ed heads yet.

Once upon a time we were going to be given something to balance things out (early discussions were for things like runes on a staff that turned it into a buffing runestick of some kind if I recall correctly). Anyway, I don't mean derail your thread. I just thought it was something to keep in mind as it would likely be one of the main concerns brought up by people after something like this was actually implemented. 
    No?

The only point of this discussion is to try talk out an idea to give Runewardens a viable strategy to kill people who just can't be damaged out.  The idea that we also have to tie in something for Shamans while doing or after this is quite silly, considering there aren't many people who can withstand a shaman when they know what they're doing.

If Runewardens get something to balance them a little better and suddenly there's an outcry of Shamans who feel jipped because the other Runists got something new and shiny, it can be dealt with later.  It is not something that needs to be considered during this discussion.

Kenway's idea is awesome, but what if we tweaked it around a bit to make it both more general purposed and easier to accomplish:

AB RUNELORE ENTOMB:

Bind <target> <left leg|right leg|torso|head>
    Entomb <target> (After all four limbs have been bound)

Your bond with the earth is so strong that you may summon its vengeance upon those who have earned your ire. After binding their core to the ground, the earth itself will rise to crush their very bones, petrifying their body.

In order to cast a rune of binding upon a limb, that limb must be mangled (level 2 break - one application of restoration.)
    Once sketched, the rune will fade after 30s (can be adjusted, of course - I think 30s might be too long.)
    Has a 2s balance recovery time.

Binding a target's leg will cause them move sluggishly as the earth paws at their feet. (.75s increased tumble time per leg; stacks with the deficit from broken limbs.)
    Binding a target's torso will cause their core strength to faulter. (33% chance of parry failing.)
    Binding a target's head will cause their mind to become clouded. (33% chance of FOCUS failing.)

The actual entombing is a timed instakill.  It will take 2s to complete, during which the Runewarden may take no other action.  Paralysis, peace, and being proned will prevent the entomb from completing after it is started.  In order to BEGIN the entombing, the target must have each leg, torso, and head bound.

BEGIN
    1st: Channeling your will into the earth beneath you, you begin the process of petrifying Kenway.
    3rd: Bowing his head with an eerie reverence, Kuy begins to commune with the earth beneath him.

END
    1st: The ground beneath you surges violently as it grasps at your legs. Quickly overtaking your body, it begins to harden and constrict your bones. You scream in agony as your innards are crushed, finding no peace as your body is petrified alive. 3rd: You watch in horror as the ground beneath Kenway comes alive, grasping at his legs. The audible snap of bones can be heard as the earth hardens about his body. His screaming ends as the ground overtakes his head, his visage petrified in horror.

That last bit is really bad writing, but I'm now in a friend's car. Also, don't forget that if Runewardens had something like this (with each binding giving really good effects), they could lose Runeblades since they would no longer be necessary both mechanically and flavor-wise!
  • Kuy said:
    Bluef said:
    This is a pretty cool idea and I don't mean this in a snarky way, but what would shamans get to offset another runelore skill that is focused only on (or best used by) runewardens? I mean y'all already have runeblades. Shamans already don't get to play with those, and we still don't even get to do anything with our hard earned tzantza-ed heads yet.

No?

The only point of this discussion is to try talk out an idea to give Runewardens a viable strategy to kill people who just can't be damaged out.  The idea that we also have to tie in something for Shamans while doing or after this is quite silly, considering there aren't many people who can withstand a shaman when they know what they're doing.

If Runewardens get something to balance them a little better and suddenly there's an outcry of Shamans who feel jipped because the other Runists got something new and shiny, it can be dealt with later.  It is not something that needs to be considered during this discussion.

Kenway's idea is awesome, but what if we tweaked it around a bit to make it both more general purposed and easier to accomplish:

AB RUNELORE ENTOMB:

Bind <target> <left leg|right leg|torso|head>
    Entomb <target> (After all four limbs have been bound)

Your bond with the earth is so strong that you may summon its vengeance upon those who have earned your ire. After binding their core to the ground, the earth itself will rise to crush their very bones, petrifying their body.

In order to cast a rune of binding upon a limb, that limb must be mangled (level 2 break - one application of restoration.)
    Once sketched, the rune will fade after 30s (can be adjusted, of course - I think 30s might be too long.)
    Has a 2s balance recovery time.

Binding a target's leg will cause them move sluggishly as the earth paws at their feet. (.75s increased tumble time per leg; stacks with the deficit from broken limbs.)
    Binding a target's torso will cause their core strength to faulter. (33% chance of parry failing.)
    Binding a target's head will cause their mind to become clouded. (33% chance of FOCUS failing.)

The actual entombing is a timed instakill.  It will take 2s to complete, during which the Runewarden may take no other action.  Paralysis, peace, and being proned will prevent the entomb from completing after it is started.  In order to BEGIN the entombing, the target must have each leg, torso, and head bound.

BEGIN
    1st: Channeling your will into the earth beneath you, you begin the process of petrifying Kenway.
    3rd: Bowing his head with an eerie reverence, Kuy begins to commune with the earth beneath him.

END
    1st: The ground beneath you surges violently as it grasps at your legs. Quickly overtaking your body, it begins to harden and constrict your bones. You scream in agony as your innards are crushed, finding no peace as your body is petrified alive. 3rd: You watch in horror as the ground beneath Kenway comes alive, grasping at his legs. The audible snap of bones can be heard as the earth hardens about his body. His screaming ends as the ground overtakes his head, his visage petrified in horror.

That last bit is really bad writing, but I'm now in a friend's car. Also, don't forget that if Runewardens had something like this (with each binding giving really good effects), they could lose Runeblades since they would no longer be necessary both mechanically and flavor-wise!
    Sorry - didn't mean to derail. I said it was a pretty cool idea. I didn't say you had to discuss shaman equivalents. I was just pointing out that differences given to runewardens int he past have led to some heated debates in the past, especially since so many of the changes to runelore beyond runeblades already favour "stick it and slash it" runewardens flighty shamans (dagaz, uruz, isaz). This same "shamans are so much more OP than us" argument was also used back when the initial changes were made to runelore too. Just saying.

Anyway, go ahead and fine tool, propose, etc. all you want. I'll even help you: Petrification is the process by which a porous material is filled with minerals and thus converted to stone, so to stick with that basic geological process:

1st - The ground beneath you surges violently with swirling waters, which grasp at your legs. 
    3rd - You watch in horror as groundwater surges beneath Kuy, swirling around his legs. 

1st - Quickly submerged in the liquefied soil, you scream out in agony as the earth's minerals precipitate out of the groundflow, preserving your anguished form as a fossil. 
    3rd - The stifled screams of Kuy fall silent as he is submerged in the liqueified soil, the ground overtaking his fossilized head before the visage of his petrified horror can be glimpsed.