New Forums

Comments

• Vanilla chose their name, I suspect, because they wish to be a standard, not because think they're plain. I talked to their Dir of Operations & Infrastructure (whom I presume is responsible for their hosted environment, which we're on) about it briefly, and it's an ideological choice on their part. They have <X> amount of time/money to spend on features and believe, rightly or wrongly, that almost all forums are better off in terms of branding and community identity when they have a single user experience. I agree with them on that, but Achaea's one of those on-the-extremes example that doesn't quite fit as well as would be ideal within Vanillaforum's box.

Still, the reason we've stayed with them isn't because they offer as many features as more established forums (they don't), but that they do what they do better and more efficiently. I love these forums personally, even if I miss some features from forum software (IPB, phpbb, etc) that's been around longer.
  • Wouldn't even had known we had gotten a skin, I use that css styling plugin for Chrome and it overrides the default

• Rakon said:
    How' about a darker theme that's not so eye-grabbing 'HEY YOU'RE NOT WORKING!' style. (Such as the huge Achaea banner up top currently is. 
    New banner is awesome. And, yes, less likely to attract my employer's attention ;)
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    @Sarapis The old forums were a big no, as is the current www.achaea.com site. I agree with Idelisa, white would blend in better with my work. Black is more ecological though and it does look great. I miss the skins of the forums before the old ones, but I do love the functionality of the new ones.

@Delphinus I tried view-no style, but that is rather unusable.
  • @Oceana: Again, if the illustration's too much, I highly recommend Firefox Portable + AdBlock Plus on a flash drive.
  • Sarapis said:
    You guys just need better bosses. ;)

Or be the boss ;)

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Is the badges thing broken again? Or is there a delay?
  • Veldrin said:
    Wouldn't even had known we had gotten a skin, I use that css styling plugin for Chrome and it overrides the default
    This was perfect.  Thanks.
  • I put up a slightly new banner. More modest Siren, and it now shows clearly that the chest on the Tsol'aa is, in fact, clothed and not just being covered up by the nav bar.
  • Just realized this is the thread I should be in. 

Less obviously fantasy, please! 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • Delphinus said:
    @Oceana: Again, if the illustration's too much, I highly recommend Firefox Portable + AdBlock Plus on a flash drive.
    I like how you keep injecting this suggestion, even though it requires me to do work and I'd really just rather Sarapis fix everything wrong in the world.
  • The tsol'aa still looks pretty hilarious on the top left. 

--> half a face

--> ACHAEA

--> MOTHER OF ALL MAMMARIES

I resent @sarapis for not making the name of that race more compatible with boob jokes.
  • @Crathen You can take comfort in the fact that there are no elves in Achaea.
  • I have no issue with mammaries.
  • Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't exactly read anything in a reasonable manner to check, how can I make the background not dark grey/purple/whatever so the black text shows up? Or maybe just make the boxes of people's posts not translucent? Anything would help. A lot.
  • @Aldebaran I don't have the expertise to have much of a chance to help, but those who do might be better able to help knowing what OS and browser you're having the problem in. In the meantime you might try selecting all text on the page, and see if the highlighted text is readable. Default highlighting (for me) is light text on dark background (though I also don't see the comment boxes as translucent, so that may well be different, too).
  • @Eld Great point. I think I'm on Windows 7ish running Internet Explorer. It's apparently an "older" version of IE but I can't update it.

• EilonaEilona United Kingdom

Aldeberan said:

Internet Explorer

There's your problem.
  • There's an addon for Chrome called Stylebot that lets you edit the CSS features of a page to suit your taste. A few people here have posted alternate CSS files to use, I'm using one of them right now and the forums look great. There's probably a similar add on for firefox, but I dunno about IE.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • edited November 2012
    I don't like how clicking my own name at the top takes me to my main profile instead of notifications.
    edit: this is pretty recent
  • edited November 2012
    @Peak: It's always done that. Notifications are in the globe icon below.

Something weird I did notice, though, is that "points" shows up twice on profile pages.
  • Delphinus said:
    Not any more. The globe icon also just takes you to your profile page, where you have to click "Notifications".
  • Sena said:
    Delphinus said:
    Not any more. The globe icon also just takes you to your profile page, where you have to click "Notifications".
    Maybe it's just your browser? I'm on Firefox 15.0.

• edited November 2012
    Sena said:
    Delphinus said:
    ?

Globe icon still shows notifications for me.

Edit: @Delphinus You ninja D: 
    It's working for me on whatever the latest version of Chrome is.
  • Hrm, I tried with Chrome Portable, IE8, and Firefox / FF portable.  Globe worked for me on all of them.
  • ...It's doing that for me now too. But it didn't do that just a minute before I posted. I didn't change anything, or even restart Firefox. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe I've never actually clicked on the globe, and actually missed and clicked on "Sena" just above it every time.

Whatever I was doing differently, it used to bring me to http://forums.achaea.com/profile/notifications, but now (or right before I posted) it didn't.
  • One thing I've noticed though is that it seems random as to when you get a popup saying "x has mentioned you in <thread>" and when you only get a notification.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'm suddenly getting new post notifications on threads that I've never opened before. I am pretty there are at least two that I had no intention of ever looking at but I am seeing updates on them.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Why am I not able to post in the Matsuhama Combat Logs thread in mobile version? Switching to full site to post is hectic.
  • edited November 2012
    They've been tinkering pretty frequently with minor things on forums. Rank names show up next to your stars now, for instance, as well as when you mouse-over them. I imagine these little glitches are part of that.

It is weird that points show up twice, though, especially when one is properly delimited and the other is plain text.