Mhaldorian sermon - On Ambition

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Now then."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "This sermon is applicable to all, from Viceroys to slaves. It 
is about aspiration, the goals we set for ourselves in the course of our journey on the path of Evil.
"

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Often our lives are consumed by the relatively mundane. We 
become accustomed to the daily grind, month-in, month-out, perhaps hunting powerless denizens to 
offer the corpses at an unholy altar, sometimes raising shrines torn down by blasphemous heathens, 
milking some venoms, pickpocketing some bejeweled Cyrenian lady or another."

Your vision is met with the visage of a bored-looking Naga wandering unnoticed under the noses of 
several befuddled Warden knights.

The Naga yawns as he cuts purses and snatches precious gemstones from the hapless nobles.

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "At our finest in this day-to-day life, we will perhaps 
exterminate in the Eastern Ithmia and pike the heads of a few dozen savages, or perhaps half-listen 
to the occasional sermon at the Stygian Crossroads while letting our minds generally wander."

Florentino displays his fangs in a menacing grin.

Sylcine, Maiden of Regret grins mischievously at Florentino.

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "I stand before you today to tell you that this lifestyle, no 
matter if it seems, prima facie, to support the aims of Evil, and no matter if it eventually leads 
to technical promotions out of slavery and up the ranks of Mhaldor, is fundamentally a quiet form of 
transgression against the project of Evil."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "It betrays a small-mindedness, a failure of ambition."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "When we are at our most ambitious and audacious, when we 
truly set our minds to the Seven Truths and our crafts, we become capable of much more impressive 
tasks, those that greatly advance the will of our Lord."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "These include infiltrations of enemy House estates or Master 
Crystal raids, raising a string of shrines from our blessed city to the hovel Targossas, triumphing 
in a series of heated debates with Babelonian madmen, and so on."

Scenes such as those mentioned fill your mind. In one image, red and black banners bearing the coat 
of arms of Mhaldor dot a burning, ruined field of wheat.

Elsewhere, a towering Congregant preacher fiercely inspires the crowd, his cowled occult opponent 
sheepishly hanging back.

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "It is important not only to succeed in doing these things for 
their strategic value but for the sake of being impressive. Why is that? After all, is this striving 
for impressiveness not mere vanity?"

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "I say no. Remember that our society's purpose is to serve as 
both a model for lesser societies with potential to transform themselves into Evil ones and as an 
annihilator of those peoples which cannot or will not."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "We raise civilizations to greatness, or we destroy them."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "When we focus on being as Evil as possible, which means 
strengthening ourselves in mind, body, and soul through hardships that are both internally and 
externally imposed, we achieve incredible feats which in turn cause members of lesser societies to 
aspire to be like us."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Whether they are afraid, jealous, or envious they are then 
that much more likely to strengthen themselves in accordance with the Seven Truths, or join us 
outright here."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Consider carefully where the next Blackrock or Enverren 
Castle lies. All over the world there are adventurer and denizens who are on the brink of making 
themselves worthy of the precious air they consume, and who need only the slightest additional 
motivation."

Settlements all over Achaea flicker into your imagination.

Here, the brutal gnolls whip enslaved Razahr and Mingruk. Elsewhere, well-equipped ogre knights spar 
on the battlements of Dun Fortress.

Xepharius looks around in fear.

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "And imagine if a Mhaldorian had won the Staff. Throughout the 
land, renown of Mhaldor would have increased, and our duties would have been fulfilled. As it is, 
the triumph of the madman Jhui and the savage Iakimen increases perceptions of those societies and 
their models relative to ours."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "On the one hand, a highly schizoprehnic split between 
suicidal annihilation of all Creation and equally contemptible apathy, or ridiculous worship of 
inanimate or unthinking objects like rocks and rivers. Disgusting."

Florentino spits on the ground in disgust.

Vicious spits on the ground.

Comments

• Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Nay, we must better ourselves, always be bettering ourselves, 
    so that this kind of thing is not repeated. So that it is Mhaldorians alone who go down in the 
    history books."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Where you have an area of development, a weakness - be it 
    raiding, individual combat, history, ritual, whatever - seek not only to better yourself in it but 
    become so masterful at it that the world cannot help but be inspired to likewise serve God or perish 
    trying."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "To close, I invoke the historical example of a famous Naga, 
    Tenebrus Ninefingers. He was a highly accomplished thief, one of the sneakiest mortals to ever grace 
    our fine House, and I tell his story when I teach this lesson of ambition to my own students and 
    Naga."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "Despite being enemied to both Shallam and Ashtan, Tenebrus 
    managed to stealthily break into both cities on a monthly basis to carry out the meticulous 
    preparations for one of the most complex rituals ever conducted - the raising of the Spawn of the 
    Unnamable Horror. Occultists had been unsuccessfully trying to recreate the summoning for well over 
    a century, and Naga Tenebrus did it right under their noses at a time when Shallam was more watchful 
    of its orphans than ever."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "His name rightfully lives on as one of the greatest Naga, and 
    this feat may well have been his magnum opus."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "By demonstrating what could uniquely be done with the talents 
    of a Naga and faith in the creed of Evil, Tenberus brought glory to the House, the city, and the 
    Lord."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "This is the standard to which you should aspire - absolute 
    *greatness* in service. Set the world on fire, Mhaldor, for it belongs to the one we call Lord, and 
    He has willed that it be purified of the weak."

Florentino Milani says in Mhaldorian, "How will you serve tomorrow, and what will your legacy be?"

Florentino bows solemnly, indicating the close of the sermon.

*******Post-Sermon Question*******

Orzaansyn says in Mhaldorian in a cold, monotone voice, "I have a question."

Florentino nods his head at Orzaansyn.

Orzaansyn says to Florentino in Mhaldorian in a cold, monotone voice, "You mentioned heathens who 
    are afraid, envious or jealous. What about the others?"

Florentino Milani says, "It is our objective to either enable all heathens and heretics to become 
    like us and pursue strength, or destroy them. These are intermediary stages that can potentially - 
    but not necessarily - lead to the pursuit of strength."

Orzaansyn nods her head emphatically.

Orzaansyn's mouth quirks up into an unsettling smile, which doesn't quite reach her eyes.

Sylcine, Maiden of Regret says, "Quite well said, Naga."

Sylcine, Maiden of Regret nods her head at Orzaansyn.

Sylcine, Maiden of Regret performs a graceful curtsey.

Orzaansyn curtseys respectfully before Sylcine, Maiden of Regret.

Florentino gives Sylcine, Maiden of Regret a respectful salute.

Florentino Milani says to Sylcine, Maiden of Regret, "Thank you, Maiden."

Brushing away a stray curl, Sylcine leaves quietly to the northwest.

Orzaansyn's mouth quirks up into an unsettling smile, which doesn't quite reach her eyes.

Orzaansyn performs a graceful curtsey towards all those in the room.

Florentino Milani says, "Very well. Dismissed, Mhaldor."
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited April 2014
    Hasar said:

COWARD BURN HIM.

I was just thinking the same thing....lol. kill it.

• edited April 2014
    Caoimhaen said:
    I was just thinking the same thing....lol. kill it.
    Says the guy who was terrified when I tortured. :D
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    @Orzaansyn‌ pft. Caoi didnt show it and followed orders pretty good too. So shush. : P
    But seriously. I was skimming through. Blah blah. Evil. Blah blah. Greatness....yup. yup. ......oh look someone who is asking to be executed!

• Well said.
  • Hasar said:

COWARD BURN HIM. @Sartan , get this man a truefavour.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I thought it was very well done.
  • @Florentino's sermon was actually in a contest for the Naga. Needless to say, he won and was able to perform it in front of Mhaldor. :)