Why Don't You Use the Mobile App Client?

2»

Comments

• I don't use it because of 3 things - it's too damned hard to type (curse you, auto-correct!), screen size (that's another major one, even on a tablet, especially as the on-screen keyboard munches half the available space) and lack of triggers.

Once there's a basic barebones system for HTML5 with common triggers, I may well take the time to flesh out my own version so i can use my tablet when out and about for casual bashing, chatting, etc
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • iphone users - pocketmud pro is decent and comes with alias and trigger functionality.
  • Screen size, slow typing, PK inadequacy, not my accustomed environment (i.e. the Mudlet setup I'm used to), no logging (even if it did log, the logs wouldn't end up together with my other logs without additional work). Also, the situations in which I have access to my smartphone but not my computer are typically situations where my time is quite limited, and I don't like playing in these situations, as it leads to having to tell many people "sorry, no time, got to leave again right away" way too often.
  • If I wanted to mobile Achaea, I'd just SSH into something with tintin++ and use that.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Everything just takes too much time. I've tried it for a while, and it was almost enough to swear to never use it again. I really can't imagine how people play regularly on smartphones and such... 

Specially on those that have no physical keyboard but instead use touch screen technology. Those are the worst...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    I die when I use it and @Iocun called me an addict. So what if I was playing from my car while it was stuck in the snow. :(
     yes, sir.
  • One should always have a desktop computer, keyboard, a large monitor, and a modem in ones car for such situations.
  • edited April 2014
    the html5 client re-sizes the window every time I try to type.  Since that is pretty often, it gets annoying after a while especially since there's a lag with each re-size.  I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but it was another reason why I never achaea'd mobile-y. 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • @Averi You should go into the html5 client, into the settings (click the gears in the lower right), and then go to the feedback tab to report that problem. (That way it'll automatically send us info about your browser too.)
  • @Sarapis I'll do that once I get home from work. :)  
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • didn't even know there was a mobile app and judging from the other iPhone users' replies, I don't think there's one in the app store either. I sometimes use a telnet app though, for when I need to check messages real quick when I'm not at home.
  • Simple. Two things. Screen size. Lack of keyboard. Can't steal or phase on the smartphone without having to save your own butt by pecking at a touch screen furiously?
    Sarapis said: I refuse to play in any environment where I can't have a large red physical 'zap' button with a flip-up clear plastic cover next to me at all times. Mobile thus does not cut it.
  • Just flee by qqing!
  • edited April 2014
    Not only did the server side curing system just make playing via iPhone feasible, I fully plan on making a "kill [person]" alias that utilizes a talentless curing system and a talentless class (monk) to coin the phrase "one-click PK", where the winner is determined based purely on who has more artefacts.
  • Vastar said:
    Nailed it.

I the forum BOSS.
    I will cut You.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Ernam said:
    Not only did the server side curing system just make playing via iPhone feasible, I fully plan on making a "kill [person]" alias that utilizes a talentless curing system and a talentless class (monk) to coin the phrase "one-click PK", where the winner is determined based purely on who has more artefacts.
    Welcome to Achaea 2015.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    What we really need is an iphone app for checking messages and news.  Nothing overly fancy, just functioning.  Though I'm guessing there are hurdles to overcome that I am ignorant of, given my lack of coding knowledge.
  • Agrias said:

What we really need is an iphone app for checking messages and news.  Nothing overly fancy, just functioning.  Though I'm guessing there are hurdles to overcome that I am ignorant of, given my lack of coding knowledge.

I use Vadi's IRE Helper app nowadays.
  • @Agrias: You can check both of those (plus org logs) on the Achaea website itself, which works on a phone even if there isn't a dedicated mobile version of it.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Well aware. But I'm on a boring iPhone 4. Not even a 4s. So web/browser activity is exponentially slower than a dedicated app.
  • DeucalionDeucalion The Garden of the Gods
    My biggest frustration with the app (I presume we're talking about the android one) is that it always scrolls to the bottom on new game output, which makes reading long news posts or checking logs extremely annoying.

The app is also somewhat unstable for me and will crash at launch relatively often, although once it cycles from the crash and relaunches it's fine. 
  • I don't use smartphones.
  • MayMay Texas
    I prefer blowtorch, I use it to get on and chat when im bored on clans, which is like txting. Even managed to bash decently with the new curing system. Love blowtorch for its button features.