Achaean IRC

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
edited April 2014 in North of Thera
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see how many people are interested. We can't be logged into Achaea all the time, but sometimes you still want to stay in touch with what's happening or simply talk on an OOC level with the people you've come to enjoy playing with. With the age of smartphones and tablets, IRC is an even more practical approach to this with the availability of IRC apps. Stuck in a waiting room, bored? Why not hope on IRC and chat it up with other Achaeans? For me, I like to talk to quite a few people both about the game and OOC stuff even when I'm busy with other stuff and can't log in right at that moment (sometimes it sucks being a responsible adult).

Let me know why or why not you might be interested in this. It wouldn't be an Official Achaea sanctioned chat method, as there would be the added burden of them having to monitor it around the clock, and they're busy doing more important stuff like making Achaea more legendary (that being said, go vote!). But still, it could be fun.

Comments

• simply coz i hate responsible adulthood!
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    #divinelands on freenode is free. #achaea seems to be something unrelated and already taken by some dude from the netherlands.
    I'm chilling there now.

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    I wouldn't mind it there's a lot of times I just can't be home.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It could be interesting, I suppose. Could be very interesting and act like a one giant ooc clan. Such a beautiful disaster, who could resist?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited April 2014
    If it isn't officially sanctioned then #achaea wouldn't be fitting anyway. ## namespaces are reserved for unofficial things like that. On that note, ##achaea is available, sitting in it now.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think I'd enjoy this especially for days I could log into school's wireless to chat, as logging into Achaea is utterly blocked and impossible and forums eventually run out of things.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Zeon, I believe unless the channel is registered with a server, it isn't static (not completely sure). Either way, going to talk to a friend of mine who works at Zoite server about getting a dedicated channel.

• ##achaea on freenode has now been registered. As has #divinelands on freenode, from the looks of it. They aren't going anywhere.

Party right, party hard,

Looks like everyone's in #divinelands.

• For now...

Party right, party hard,

• edited April 2014
    The people might all be in #divinelands, but the bots are chillin' in ##achaea.

Trained a bot to speak like Amunet, by feeding it her public news posts.

Party right, party hard,

Seems like #divinelands was already registered by @Strata, so going to say let's use that one as the go-to instead of having people try to figure out which one of the two they should join. Everyone is already joining and in #divinelands it seems.

• I always work in electronically secure spaces.

I always miss out on the cool stuff.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited April 2014
    ##achaea, now with universal membrane reporting.

Breaking News:
    02:21 < membrane> [M]: Can badmouth other irc dwellers almost anonymously.

Party right, party hard,

• RomRom
    edited April 2014
    ##achaea

#divinelands

Click either above for links to the respective channels on the freenode web client.

Be prepared to prove your humanity!

Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
    Zeon said:
    ##achaea, now with universal membrane reporting.

Breaking News:
    02:21 < membrane> [M]: Can badmouth other irc dwellers almost anonymously.

Could you just put this on #divinelands please? It's going to be confusing having two channels for this.

• Membrane action heating up:

02:54 < membrane> [M]: Hail to #divinelands! ##achaea must die, catch that Zeon punk and show him what's what.

02:59 < membrane> [M]: All hail ##achaea! #divinelands is but a foul impostor, led by a man in a cardboard box.

Party right, party hard,

• DakotahDakotah Wales, UK
    I love the idea of this, mostly for the times I take breaks away up to visit the boyfriend and don't have my proper access. As much as I love him, I would also like to chat up with Achaean's when he's cooking dinner or something.

• This would be great for when I have to wait for the train to town or something and i've not met up with the mates yet. 

Elaina x

Zeon said:
    Membrane action heating up:

02:54 < membrane> [M]: Hail to #divinelands! ##achaea must die, catch that Zeon punk and show him what's what.

02:59 < membrane> [M]: All hail ##achaea! #divinelands is but a foul impostor, led by a man in a cardboard box.

hey uh can we have membrane in #divinelands? i'm not the leader of that channel, just the founder. everyone who asked was given ops there, including you.
    @Kresslack's OP was to simply get _something_ started - and you've turned that into confusion over which channel to join and a pissing contest over some markov chained Amunet shit talker bots.

we've never talked but i held high esteem for you until you started flopping that epeen. nice work, dumbass.
  • Just playing around, I hope that was clear from our talk. I don't think anyone really cares about ops, bots, or any of that stuff. Kresslack (and I imagine most people interested in this thread), are just looking for a talking medium outside the game that isn't forums. Tomorrow we can take #achaea and consolidate channels. We'll work something out in the morning, at a better hour. Hopefully no hard feelings.

Party right, party hard,

• ShadracShadrac Denton, TX
    I'm down - I love IRC.  I'll log in when I get up to work in half an hour or so.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    So random request.

I'm not sure who precisely is feeding it, but whoever is feeding the IRC thing with live information from the Membrane - could you please stop? It's kind of weird, honestly, since that area was designed to be an area semi-difficult to reach and then you have to sit there and listen... and now anyway with IRC can just tune in and learn/do whatever. I feel like it has a huge potential to be abused and is, quite frankly, just creepy.

I think it should just stop, before anyone gets tempted to use the information of a live feed of random information and take it IC. There's enough IC/OOC boundry issues as is.

And seriously. It's creepy!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited April 2014
    The bot's dropped off IRC as well, fwiw.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    What and where is IRC?

Amanu said:
    What and where is IRC?
    IRC is Internet Relay Chat. It has been around since 1990 and it is a cesspool of government sleuths, cyber criminals, drug dealers, FOSS developers with certified aspergers and/or major self-esteem issues, and overall weird as f* people who will make your head hurt. Just think Ranting Menace only 1000x worse but LIVE CHAT. Also, you'll be "naked", as in, your home IP address is usually exposed to all when you connect to it.
    Do not attempt this unless you have adequate protection.
  • AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited April 2014
    Around what times is the IRC most active? I always login to #divinelands or #achaea and there never seems to be anyone on. Probably because IRC is dying out as a whole, but perhaps I'm just not coming on at the right times. :/

edit: oh, and I'm using Freenode. My nickname is pretty obvious.
    Alcinae said:
    Around what times is the IRC most active? I always login to #divinelands or #achaea and there never seems to be anyone on. Probably because IRC is dying out as a whole, but perhaps I'm just not coming on at the right times. :/

edit: oh, and I'm using Freenode. My nickname is pretty obvious.
    IRC is crazy active. Just not those channels. Freenode is one of the largest networks - it is also one of the safest in terms of the previously mentioned. Want black vans sitting outside your house? Try EFNet.
  • Occasionally I'll use Rizon but I'll take a look into EFNet. If I don't come back, its the gubmint's fault. :P