Big change to acquiring skills coming

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    is it bad that I completely understand and mimic that cat's expression right now?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited April 2014
    Band-aid fix to a broken business model.

• Santar is an asshole, but he's often a correct asshole, and in The Mariner's Guild, everyone's favorite asshole/city enemy - although for some reason the fabulous general logic skills needed for coding sometimes fail to translate into even basic savvy with money, so who knows.  Still, even I wouldn't drop a bomb like this in a thread like this though (probably) ;)  Yay lessons!
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Sarapis said:
    @Antonius Nope, you should be able to buy this twice easily enough. Multiple people already have.
    Just for the record buying something online twice in one hour usually causes the credit card company to freeze my card. Might be easier to wait an hour and buy it again than to have to sit on the phone with them for 25-30 minutes just to say yes, I bought this twice in one hour.

• Sarapis said:
    Kuy said:
    Excuse me.  I need to find my pants.

• I like that you didn't differentiate between constructive and not constructive criticism, though.

• The only difference between constructive and not constructive criticism in this case was the amount typed, no?

I initially had little interest in this thread so I posted a half-sentence to summarize.

I don't mind this change at all. It lowers the barrier for people getting involved into the game, which is a good thing. It is, however, exactly what I said:
    Santar said:
    Band-aid fix to a broken business model.

• The connotation of that sentence says more than a drunken sorority girl on formal night.

• I think selling the lessons int his type of bulk as an "any time" thing is not a good game idea (although brilliant for generating revenue). 

It may be too difficult now, but that's making it too easy. Where is the sense of accomplishment if one can triple trans almost immediately?

Oh hell, what the heck do I know - i don't even have a cute banner signature.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• The one criticism I have of IRE's business model is that it caters so much to the big buyer, and in that light, this is a huge step in the right direction.

To be fair though, catering to the big buyer seems to be part of the package with pay-for-perks. There will be a few people (as little as 0,5% of the playerbase, according to the numbers released by one game company) that provide most of the revenue.

I think this move makes a lot of sense, even from the big-spender perspective. Many of them will probably end up buying this as a gift for friends.
  • I already bought three for other people, yeah. It's a great small gift that, for some people, really helps make their day to see just appear in their messages.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • @Korben Well, our feeling on it is that while at one time, all we had to sell was the skills - mainly the class ones - we have a huge inventory of things people can and do buy now, so giving out more of the class skills will, hopefully, be good for us long-term. The big buyers are still where our money is going to be made. I mean, it takes 60 people buying a $10 package to equal up to one person buying 2000 credits. We're hoping this increases the changes of more big buyers though, by keeping people around for longer. It's a delicate balance, however, because giving away things too cheaply early on may damage the value of credits/lessons in the mind of the newbies. Worth experimenting with (and keeping unless it fails) though, and I hope it's permanent.

@Kei That's great!

• edited April 2014
    @Sarapis: the twice-only limit is applicable for self purchases, or includes purchases for somebody else?

edit: sorry if it has been asked before.
  • I bought my two, and one for someone else
  • i mean, if i already bought two, can someone else gift me with another package?

i think that'd result to abuse, though.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tarkanian said:
    i mean, if i already bought two, can someone else gift me with another package?

i think that'd result to abuse, though.
    No, it's limited on the recipient.
  • Is this going to end up being IRE-wide, or restricted to Achaea?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Wynedere said:
    Is this going to end up being IRE-wide, or restricted to Achaea?
    It's IRE-wide
  • I support this so much that even though I'm not ready to buy some for my own character, I bought a friend a set. 
  • AlexandreAlexandre Raleigh, North Carolina
    I'm a big fan of this change and I really hope it doesn't become temporary. The amount of changes that have been made to Achaea as a whole over the past five years are... Amazing. I've been playing the game for close to eleven years now and somehow I always come back to it.
  • After careful contemplation, I begrudgingly accept that buying this for random people might not violate the spirit of my boycott. They will be so happy, if they have not already purchased it for themselves.

That said, I notice that it says 6x, but under ideal circumstances, it's only 3.5x (assuming you buy 1000 credits for the first time, which would be the most efficient credit purchase), and only about 3x as much as ideal Iron Elite membership month (maxed out bonus credits, logging in every day).

I am nitpicking!
  • I bet there are going to be a lot of alts created by established players as well, since you can get an alt up to dual-trans much, much more easily after just buying the 2000 lessons and bashing to 80.