What's cooking?

Comments

• Aepas said:
    Tonight is the world's most unhealthy Alfredo pasta.
    I hate that realisation.

I came up with this awesome gnocchi recipe. You mix about 3 tbsp cornflour with 1 tsp paprika and a little salt and pepper, use it to coat a couple of chopped chicken fillets, and fry the chicken and put it aside. Then fry some leeks or spring onions in the same pan, a minced clove of garlic if you want, and a couple of diced rashers of bacon. Add like a cup of cream to make it a sauce, and a little paprika, salt, and pepper. Return the chicken to warm it through, then stir through the gnocchi you just cooked, and a little of the water you cooked the gnocchi in to thin out the sauce. It is ridiculously tasty, but not remotely healthy.
  • Modified the Jamie Deen chili recipe found here as follows to feed 7 people:

Upped the beef to 2.25 lbs 90% lean ground beef
    upped the tomato paste to 2 cans.
    changed the italian sausage to sliced up smoked sausage
    used fresh chili powder obtained from the Farmer's Market
    topped with shredded muenster

Sex. In. A. Bowl.

• I put this on my tuna sandwiches now.  Goes without saying that it makes them much more flavorful. 

• I put this on my tuna sandwiches now.  Goes without saying that it makes them much more flavorful. 
    I'm not a big fan of vinegar-based hot sauces, but that sounds pretty baller.

• It's not what I expected. You can't taste the vinegar as much because the habaneros are butt-fucking your tastebuds. If you like hot, try this. Or try Dave's Gourmet stuff, another sauce that had me crying tears of joy and shitting pure fire. 

• edited April 2014
    Looking at what that site has available, for pure flavor wise this is one of my numerous go-to's. When I make ribs, this is what I use to pep up my homemade barbecue sauce.

• Trey said:
    Looking at what that site has available, for pure flavor wise this is one of my numerous go-to's. When I make ribs, this is what I use to pep up my homemade barbecue sauce.
    Thanks for bringing back some memories best left forgotten, @Trey.

That said, my go-to really hot but really tasty salsa lately has been this.
  • Oh man I love that stuff.

• pan fried tilapia. Super easy, absolutely delicious in my opinion (my daughter doesn't seem to like it, she only seems to like chicken) and totally what I've been craving.
    meh

• Forgot that I was going to post pictures of the tilapia.

This is the stuff I use for seasonings (just this and flour on the tilapia before frying)

meh

• So, a small tip I learned from a friend, and it's been treating me very well.

Flavor cubes!

Chop up some onions, preferrably red, white, green.

Chop up some garlic

add some salt!

add a bit of melted butter

add a bit of oil. Olive or canola.

make a nice big batch of this flavorful saute' mix and then put it all into ice cube trays. Should be cold enough to turn solid even though it's full of oils and fats. Now when you're cooking or gonna fry something up, just drop one of these guys in your dish. Saves time! and it keeps my damn onions from going bad.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • So I've been playing around with cooking lately, and here are a few of my favourite things so far

Ramen with pork belly

Blueberry sugar cookiesRaspberry granola barsChunky  Monkey chilled oatmeal with some granola.

• Basic, easy spaghetti and chicken recipe, I make it at least twice a week (because honestly my list of easy recipes is really, really small). One of my faves. Most of these are estimates, because I've altered the original recipe so much, and I hardly pay attention to the actual amounts I use now. White onion tastes better, but if you don't like onions a lot, green onion works too.

1 chicken breast, cubed

3-4 T butter

1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped white onion OR 2-3 stalks chopped green onion

1/2 - 2/3 cup halved grape tomatoes

1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1 serving Spaghetti

Salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder, olive oil

Parmesan optional

Set up a pot of salted water to boil for pasta. Add spaghetti when boiling, cook al dente. Drain, keep in pot.

Put butter in a small pan on medium-low to melt, add crushed garlic. Salt if butter is unsalted. Cook until the garlic starts to turn translucent (careful not to burn it). Add onions, tomatoes, and basil, keep on low heat, stir occasionally. Tomatoes should break down a little, onions soften and turn translucent (if white). Liquid will turn a golden orange.

Season chicken with salt, pepper, basil, and garlic powder. Heat a second pan to medium when you've added the onions and tomatoes to the sauce,  and coat the bottom of the pan with a little olive oil. Cook chicken over medium. When finished, add to sauce.

When all parts are finished, mix in the sauce and chicken with the pasta. Add cheese now, or when serving.

Lots of dishes used, but worth it IMO. I'd post pics, but I kinda just finished it off. >.>

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    edited June 2014

Normally, I shun anything to do with an oven. "That's baking" *blankstare*  

Last night though, I opted to try something new. It came out WONDERFUL! I forgot to put the herbal rub on it (minced garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, olive oil and rosemary). I used the canned mandarin oranges, when I saw I had less than a cup of juice, I decided to do to the oranges in the can, what we do to olives in game to make oil. Grab em, mash em, rub hands together! Brined it overnight, so here's the brine.

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar

1 Tablespoon black peppercorns

1 Tablespoon coriander (I used Caraway, and it worked beautifully)

2 cups warm water

6 cups cold water

Mix everything except the cold water and whisk until it's all dissolved. Then add the cold water, put the pork loin in and let it chill in the fridge overnight.

I proudly present Roast pork loin with a mandarin orange glaze on a bed of baby carrots and onion!

3.75 lbs pork loin

1 bag baby carrots

1/2 large onion

1 can mandarin oranges  (mash up the oranges and add the juice to they syrup/juice you get in the can)

1 Tablespoon olive oil

Get a big skillet, pour in the oil, and brown that pork loin after pulling it from the brine. (ditch the brine, you don't need it.) While it's browning, chop the onion and put the pieces, and the carrots down in the baking pan. Once the loin is seared to your liking, put it in the pan. Add the water to the pork drippings, and scrape up all the stuff in the pan, mixing it well together, once it's boiled down some, pour in the oranges and juice, remove from heat, mix it together. Pour over the pork, being sure to get the entire roast wet, toss in the oven at 400 degrees for one hour.  Bast every 20 minutes or it'll dry out and be icky.

Hope it's not too big for the forums... That's what mine looked like!

Currently working on how to make those great Arcane Holoburgers in Cyrene! Will post when I have results!

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    edited June 2014

Ladies and gentlemen, also maybe even @Bonko‌, I present for your approval

Dak Bokkeum Tang (Korean spicy chicken stew!)

recipe: http://www.mykoreanfood.com/spicy-chicken-stew-dak-bokkeum-tang/

EDIT: WARNING! I used half the called for chili powder and it's almost too hot for the friends I cook for weekly. If you don't do a lot of heat, be careful with that stuff!

• MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    This was the result of my last attempt at cooking. I put a pan of water on to boil. The pan of water caught fire. I tried smothering the fire with the skillet you see in the picture. Unfortunately it had a thin film of grease in it. Low flames went WHOOSH! Long story short, I got a quick lessons in how to use a fire extinguisher (for the very first time). Now I just get hot water from the Keurig.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

Hotwings. Because sometimes you just have to get messy.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front

Does anyone have a recipe for kale chips that they particularly enjoy? 

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Herenicus said:

I don't have a recipe for them but I do buy them with pineapple and coconut. They're really tasty.

(D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Kyrra said:
    Herenicus said:

I don't have a recipe for them but I do buy them with pineapple and coconut. They're really tasty.

I am similarly lazy and spoiled by a delicious mango habanero-flavored variety. Still, hope springs eternal and if I work up the gumption to throw something together, I'll post the results.

• Herenicus said:

Cut the kale into bite sized pieces. 

Place in a bowl and lightly toss with olive oil. I actually like to use the olive oil cooking spray for this since it is a fine mist. Also sprinkle in salt if desired. 

Place on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, or until desired crispiness is acheived. 

Place final flavorings, my favorite combo is parmesean cheese and rosemary. 

You have rescued my waistline from certain bloom. 

• MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Meanwhile, I followed the instructions exactly but apparently the stove top had a little chat with the oven. This is what happens when I'm left home, alone, and in charge of finding my own dinner. It's supposed to be one of those "just warm it up in the oven" turkey potpies. (@Gnaash and his turkey potpies!)
  • Best Smoothie you will ever make, I promise.

1 can (8 oz) juice-packed pineapple chunks (Not crushed!)
    1 c fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt (I used tillamook vanilla)
    1 lg ripe mango, peeled and chopped or guestimate this amount with frozen mango chunks 
    1 ripe banana, sliced
    Ice

Throw all this is the blender, and drop in a couple ice cubes as you go. I blended the shit out of it, and it came out perfect. :D Enjoy, This did not disappoint me.

• Personally I'm a big fan of my go-to protein shake in the morning when I actually eat breakfast.

2 scoops of vanilla whey protein

2 cups of skim milk

1 cup of fruit of your choice  (I usually go with frozen triple-berry mix)

1/2 a banana (sometimes I eschew the cup of fruit and just do a whole banana)

Blend well, drink immediately.

• 2 scoops vanilla whey (ON gold standard ftw)

2 cups milk (I vary what I drink)

1 cup frozen blueberries

2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (Teddy's ftw)

1 cup apple juice

hnggghhh

• All you people with blenders... :'(

meh

This discussion has been closed.