What's Most Important To You?

2»

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    How did @Penwize get 7 votes to put towards hunting? Roleplaying is always great. I get that some people play this strictly for the PvP aspect or even PvE, and have no interest whatsoever in roleplay, and that's fine. But overall, I think it's what makes the game. From the small instances that happen between fellow citizens, to the large scale relations that develop between two city states, to the full out world involvement of when something goes horribly wrong and everyone scrambles to try to understand and address it. Without these things, it would be a very bland world.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Voted for better newbie experience. It's a double-edged sword though because it seems every time something is changed for newbies or something big happens like "new city", there's a flood of alts instead of genuine new players.
    The genuine newbs then don't get any sort of grounding in the game world because most of the people their age/might in game are just lolalts who will be gone in a few weeks. Then they say "well. all my friends are gone. the people running this place are a bunch of dicks. i'm outta here."
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Actually can I change my vote to hunting? Honestly the most boring thing in the game for me and if it was improved apon maybe I to could become a dragon.

• Caladbolg said:
    Actually can I change my vote to hunting? Honestly the most boring thing in the game for me and if it was improved apon maybe I to could become a dragon.
    Buck up and do it!

• EiredhelEiredhel California
    I voted for: Giving Cities/Houses/Orders more options

But, I think that is mostly because I really like aspects of games that give my character something to belong to and a sense of identity. It is really easy to fall between the cracks or to not find a proper niche for your character even if it does actually exist. 

I think it'd also help if there was an easier way to know what can and cannot be tried/done from an ooc perspective. I always feel bad when I really want to try something and it seems completely plausible from an IC standpoint and from an OOC standpoint, but is actually impossible due to a lot of reasons that aren't common knowledge. I don't want/need to know the nitty gritty details, but it'd be nice to not have to waste admin time with even having to ask after a million other people have.

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Caladbolg said:
    This is a pretty good point. I've held off on dragon simply because bashing is so boring to me.

• More things to RP and fight over (storylines like Quisalis v Ivory) and just generally more direct engagement from the Garden in terms of both big events and casual day-to-day interactions.
  • PK

Kill all the things

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I haven't read most of the thread, but!

Achaea's huntable population hasn't kept pace with how many people bash a lot/have a lot of artefacts nowadays, could probably use with expanding that base.

PvP's usually been well-taken care of, I trust you guys to keep it sensible. You're (collectively) pretty excellent with that stuff :)
  • Aepas said:
    I've never seen or found a need for admin to step in and do much of anything to roleplay. Sure people like feeling special when their god pays attention to them, but the true characters that are created are more well known by their peers and actions than what a god did for them in a day. People that really need roleplay should just keep at it themselves.

Admin attention deserves to be put to more overall beneficial matters like newbies and houses (and combat!)
    I just re-read this this morning and I do know of an instance in which and admin would need to step in to do something involving roleplay. There are some people who create 18 year old lol alts specifically to attack people and then suicide shortly after to cause a stir. While this can be considered roleplay it can also be considered metagaming. And then the person suicides so they can't get in trouble for it.
  • My favourite part of this is the 8 people who voted for hunting.  Seriously, if you are so into the current system of hunting then your criteria for what is "fun" are so low that @Sarapis could probably just add in a little "bing" noise every time you kill a mob, and you would be happy until 2019.

God, apparently I just pop in now and then to spew bile over people who don't really deserve it.  I think I need help.  Not as much help as people who play Achaea for the bashing, but still: some help.

(Also @Sarapis, go RP, choose RP.  You know it makes sense).

• My favourite part of this is the 8 people who voted for hunting.  Seriously, if you are so into the current system of hunting then your criteria for what is "fun" are so low that @Sarapis could probably just add in a little "bing" noise every time you kill a mob, and you would be happy until 2019.

God, apparently I just pop in now and then to spew bile over people who don't really deserve it.  I think I need help.  Not as much help as people who play Achaea for the bashing, but still: some help.

(Also @Sarapis, go RP, choose RP.  You know it makes sense).

Well, as I said earlier, it's pretty clear that there is one objectively correct answer from the good of Achaea's point of view, and that's the newbie experience.
  • You should probably add in that bing noise though.  You could flash a link up to an autism helpline every time people level as well.

• Uh... it's for those of us who DON'T like bashing that I think bashing needs to be looked at. I'm fairly sure that, apart from selling credits, bashing's the most popular source of income- having to compete over the handful of moderately useful areas with people who take it really seriously makes it an unpalatable part of the game. Even if I don't like to bash, I still have to have gold for most things, and making it easier for those who really love to bash will put less strain on the areas those of us who don't love it much use, or, alternatively, the creation of more middle ground will make it easier for everyone to have a better crack at getting what they need without having to go too far/spend too much time to keep up with the grinding demands.
  • Stop making sensible points, I'm trying to mock Penwize.
  • Supporting roleplay, city/House options, hunting, and crafting. I'd say of those that affect me, hunting probably needs the most work right now, so that's what I voted for.
  • I would also like to see: monthly rewards that aren't something you get just by spending a lot of money.  There used to be extra lessons or fun games where you'd get a neat prize that didn't really do a ton but was still a lot of fun.  Half the reason I even know where things are on Meropis is because of one of these.

Similarly, I think that before I can say if houses need improvement or change we need to have city novicehood put in.
  • You should probably add in that bing noise though.  You could flash a link up to an autism helpline every time people level as well.

Hey, what's wrong with autistics? Bashing is really comforting for those of us who find repetitive patterns and cycles soothing and familiar. It calms us down and gives us the distance to quietly process things I guess the rest of you can do on the spot. For me, almost every time I have a serious conversation or encounter in game, I go hunting for a couple of hours and then respond to it.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN

My favourite part of this is the 8 people who voted for hunting.  Seriously, if you are so into the current system of hunting then your criteria for what is "fun" are so low that @Sarapis could probably just add in a little "bing" noise every time you kill a mob, and you would be happy until 2019.

I have this coded into my system already. and I still don't bash

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited April 2014
    I voted for making the newbie experience better. I think PvP is fine with classleads doing a great job of allowing player feedback. Roleplay is also fine, there could be more world-wide events but that boils down to actually having a (team of) dedicated storyline writer(s) that aren't the already-busy administration, with their oversight of course.

With the exception of a handful of outstanding novice aides, the newbie experience is pretty much a 'trial by fire' in the sense that you either quickly grasp the basic concept of MUDs, or you don't, and you leave. The HTML client and the newbie intro have definitely improved these areas but there's still the problem of long HELP and HHELP files to peruse. Making the Achaea Wiki more newbie-friendly and offering "character guides for dummies" might help in that regard

I think true novices, especially those more accustomed to graphical MMOs, need a bit more hand-holding compared to newbies of 14 years ago, when even graphical MMOs like EQ and Ultima were pretty difficult to get into. I've always been a proponent of social interaction being the main hook of Achaea and I think MMO-style group queue quests for newbies would be a great addition.

• Multiclassing first! Whatever category that falls under
  • Adioro said:

You should probably add in that bing noise though.  You could flash a link up to an autism helpline every time people level as well.

Hey, what's wrong with autistics? Bashing is really comforting for those of us who find repetitive patterns and cycles soothing and familiar. It calms us down and gives us the distance to quietly process things I guess the rest of you can do on the spot. For me, almost every time I have a serious conversation or encounter in game, I go hunting for a couple of hours and then respond to it.
    Nothing at all, but I find the idea of devoting game design resources into something that is essentially a repetitive pattern with very little to differentiate it a bad one.
    Lucine said:

Stop making sensible points, I'm trying to mock Penwize.
    Then make fun of Penwize, don't start making generalizations and remarks about autism. 
    But my mockery of Penwize required a generalization and a remark about autism.  Totally worth it.
  • edited April 2014
    Wynedere said:
    I kinda agree with Bluef. While understanding that the admin want to push players into orgs, there are countless reasons players choose not to be members of those orgs. There is a substantial number of rogues that play Achaea. Some resources should be given to improving their play along with everyone else.
    And some people do not have a choice, due to class or assholes or both.

And that is part of Role Play too, but sometimes the powers that be forget that.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it