What's Most Important To You?

edited April 2014 in North of Thera
This is a poll run by Sarapis and Tecton to find out what you value the most in Achaea in terms of development resources. Where do you think we should be spending our resources?

Comments

• CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    Roleplay. Hands down.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I waffled a bit on the same choice as Adioro, but went for the more overarching option. Houses/Cities/Orders definitely very important in that particular option, though!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    to be fair, "supporting roleplay" can be seen as the all-encompassing option here, pvp can be translated into roleplay, what you guys said can, newbie experience too. Hell, even hunting can be turned into roleplay
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited April 2014
    I voted supporting RP, although Crafting was a very close second for me!

People can think up some awesome things to do in Roleplay and although some of it is just lol, games are meant to be fun and Roleplay can lead to PvP, Hunting, and help to bring cities/houses/clans together to think up things to do collectively. Like currently @Bluef and I are thinking up some fun RP things to advance our clans and such and we have become good friends in the process of thinking these things up together. 

Also, crafting **Drooooooooollll** I need to make more clothing! And what ever happened to Bookbinding! I wanted that for years, come back and it's gone!!!
  • Unfortunately, this does kind of point to a major rift between "What do you want" and "What is good for Achaea?" (Insofar as there is an objectively correct answer - improving the newbie experience - to the latter question, at least). 
  • RP all the way.

Must say, I'm pleasantly surprised that 98% didn't vote PvP.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • One thought I had looking at the poll results is that it seems odd that it feels like a large majority of administrative resources are spent on something that a smaller minority of players enjoy 'most' (that being PvP), but then after thinking about it a bit more it makes sense. PvP makes money. You don't buy $3000 in artifacts to RP.

Well, not usually, anyway.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited April 2014
    Sarapis said:
    This is a poll run by Sarapis and Tecton to find out what you value the most in Achaea in terms of development resources. Where do you think we should be spending our resources?
    I'm 100% behind roleplay as the thing that would best benefit Achaea, but what is not listed here is something for Rogues. 

Choice #7: Giving Rogues a better overall experience

Whether you're a newbie, a PVPer, hunter, crafter or a roleplayer, if you're a rogue you'll be left out of 99.9% of what happens in Achaea. People who argue, "Well you chose that path.." don't recognize that being a rogue is a choice in IC lifestyle, not gameplay. It shouldn't impact the overall Achaean experience as much as it does. 

This is why I've tried to champion a non-aligned deity like Raclawice making Her triumphant return now that Lord Hermes' essence was spilled into Creation by Bal'met. 

Such a deity would be a win-win because She (or He if it was Someone all together new) could promote roleplay and PVP,  could patron the clans who currently address the rogue newcomer needs and issues that arise post-level 21, and could create totally un-factional events and conflicts that engage rogues, so that we have something to work for and do as well in Achaea.

I'm sure asking for a new Divine is a far over and above what this thread is calling for though, so I'll just sum this up with: 

Please acknowledge that rogues exist and that they're not getting anywhere near the same game experience as everyone else. 
  • PvP is also an enabler for a lot of RP, as well as vice-versa.

I have little doubt in my mind that giving cities/Houses/Orders more options is the best choice, though when I read "supporting RP", I read it as "denizen interactions and god interactions". I see the options that require less continuous admin involvement as better options, because money, big projects, volunteer interest, etc will always effect that. Once you code in mechanical stuff, it's there regardless of how much attention the admin can afford to pay you, and the players have more tools to RP the way they want to.
  • Maybe @Sarapis needs to clarify exactly what he meant then, because people assuming these options are talking about small-scale denizen and God interactions confuses me. In every single context I've ever heard it used "development resources" has meant "coding and design time", so that would be new systems for people to use and take advantage of (like the changes to custom emotes and being able to customise certain actions), not one time denizen interactions by an admin.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited April 2014
    Rogues consistently make up the bulk of the playerbase in Achaea at any given moment in the realm. so as I've said before, it makes sense to me that some design and coding goes toward benefiting their roleplay.
    (Crap, accidentally edited your post, Bluef, instead of quoting it. Apologies! This is the only line I left, as I meant to quote this line.)
  • I kinda agree with Bluef. While understanding that the admin want to push players into orgs, there are countless reasons players choose not to be members of those orgs. There is a substantial number of rogues that play Achaea. Some resources should be given to improving their play along with everyone else.

• Antonius said:
    Maybe @Sarapis needs to clarify exactly what he meant then, because people assuming these options are talking about small-scale denizen and God interactions confuses me. In every single context I've ever heard it used "development resources" has meant "coding and design time", so that would be new systems for people to use and take advantage of (like the changes to custom emotes and being able to customise certain actions), not one time denizen interactions by an admin.
    Correct. 
  • Sarapis said:
    Antonius said:
    Maybe @Sarapis needs to clarify exactly what he meant then, because people assuming these options are talking about small-scale denizen and God interactions confuses me. In every single context I've ever heard it used "development resources" has meant "coding and design time", so that would be new systems for people to use and take advantage of (like the changes to custom emotes and being able to customise certain actions), not one time denizen interactions by an admin.
    Correct. 
    Oh, ok. Well with this information right here I think Illusions, Shouts, emotes, and current crafting things are already on point and change my vote to Crafting. I need to make things look pretty and male slutty so I can drool on them.
  • KyrtonKyrton California
    From the point of view of a relatively new/returning player I would say at least for myself the newbie experience has been great and much better than I remember it being in the past actually.  One of the major improvements I noticed was loom being much more concise but still enough to get a newbie started.  I would also say that personally I have really enjoyed how much Achaea seems to have expanded with lots more areas for bashing etc.  I have yet to become involved in combat so I cannot comment on that.  I have yet to become intricately involved in the roleplay so I do not have the experience to comment on that either.  With that in mind I voted for hunting because what is very annoying is going to a location only to find it bashed out and having to wait for things to pop back out.  It's not nearly as bad as it was though because I remember newbies flooding nearly every area in the past.  Now the level is good, but it would be amazing to me to see new areas of Achaea developed for exploration reasons, bashing, and hopefully it could lead to interesting combat and rp as well.  Say you create a new area and Targossas claims it as a feif or there is a contention over it.  This may be an oddball out of the blue suggestion, but could organizations like orders, clans, cities, houses, take control of npc territory and claim it for their group and maybe gain some benefit from it (like access to a rare commodity)?

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I really think that houses and cities need more depth. I think PvP is being treated quite well, roleplay is something each individual is responsible for.

Hunting probably could do with some variation, especially in regards to group hunting, making it more fun and challenging. I can't comment on newbies. 

I can't comment on crafting either.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Sarapis said:
    @Bluef Of the players online right now, less than 18% are Cityless, and an even smaller % are Cityless and Houseless. Sure, choosing not to be in a City or House is a valid choice, but so is playing without a class or playing as a pacifist - we're just not going to spend a lot of resources on those playstyles as they're not the focus of the game.
    I read this as of the players online right now nearly 20% are Cityless. Perhaps it's just my skewed perception because I'm in that number somewhere, but I'm a little disappointed that 1/5 of the players online, who have chosen not to be part of a city, aren't worthy of some resources. Thank you for taking the time to respond directly to me at any rate @Sarapis.
  • I'm not sure why you think we think they're not deserving of resources. You can do virtually everything in Achaea without being part of a city - bash, craft, RP, PvP, run lotteries, be an assassin, explore, sail become a dragon, collect talismans, build a house, run a shop, etc et. Every single time we do something that isn't limited to city members, we're doing something for rogues (and everyone else)!  We're just not going to generally do things to specifically encourage people to opt out of the most important communities in the game.
  • It's just been my experience that far more is limited to city or House members than is open to the whole world. In addition, not all rogues opt out of import communities in the game; in some cases, they are forced out and then have no option except to live on the periphery of things, ie.the Dawnstriders of Shallam who were shamans. If I had known the IC community I was apart of was going to be destroyed, and that I would not be welcomed into the new one, I might have made some different choices during the nearly eight real life months I defended New Hope. But like I said before, that may just be my perception of it as a longterm rogue bleeding through. Thanks again for the feedback on IRE's take on the cityless and unHoused.