Where would I fit best?

Hello, I started a character but then realized it would be difficult to make a commitment to something unless I knew what I was getting into so I decided to start this thread to get advice on the type of character I would like to play.

Considerations: I would like this character most of all to be enjoyable to play in a general sense with both for rp and combat.  I will probably focus on bashing and rp at first in order to get the hand of things then get heavy into combat once I understand the curing system, etc.  I am not quite sure what kind of character I would like to play, but for now I am going with the idea of a noble/honorable, kind, tough as nails, stoic type. When I do get into combat I would be most interested in raiding/raid defence so pve while being able to hold my own 1v1.

Goals:  I would definitely like to reach Dragon fairly quickly (this is just a personal goal because I like to challenge myself).  However, I do not want to just get bored bashing and quit.  I want this to be an enjoyable overall experience and interact with the world and perhaps even get involved in house/city politics or an order.

Classes: for some reasons the classes that most appeal to me are magi, monk, sylvan.

Cities: the cities that seem to appeal to me most are Cyrene, Ashtan, Eleusis, and Targossas.  I am curious how important is city culture in terms of being willing to get involved in combat?

Races: not very important, but for some reason Atavian appeals to me also dwarf (if I went monk) or perhaps tsol'aa (if I went magi/sylvan).

RP:  I like being in the role of defending the good and innocent/nature thus why targossas/eleusis/cyrene appeal to me while also pursuing personal excellence and being around members who are competitive (which sounds more like Ashtan?).  I would eventually like to get into the lore of my class and whatever organization I choose to try to advance in.  I would like to be useful to my organization and over time perhaps move to a position of leadership.

Credits:  I would like to do this with no/little real life $$.  I am willing to devote a lot of time to compensate.  I would like to be effective and useful particularly while raiding/defending even if I am not in the top tiers and hold my own 1v1.

Magi concerns: getting jumped.  Sylvan concerns: hard to tri-trans? Forestals seem to have a lot of writing/creativity requirements to rise in a house? Monk concerns: an rp environment that is too ascetic and not enjoyable in a somewhat casual way.

Eleusis concerns: Perhaps a bit too non-combative? Too sentimental? Targossas concerns: RP can be wooden if it attracts inexperienced players like Shallam used to. Ashtan concerns: too power focused? No cooperative influence?

Please feel free to suggest other classes, cities, etc as well.  I have a general idea of what I'd like, but perhaps posting these ideas would give someone an "aha!" moment of inspiration that would be useful in guiding me to a good in game fit.

I am very interested in @locun / @Iocun 's opinion (I couldn't tell if that was a L or an i

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

Comments

• Kyrton said:
    Hello, I started a character but then realized it would be difficult to make a commitment to something unless I knew what I was getting into so I decided to start this thread to get advice on the type of character I would like to play.

Considerations: I would like this character most of all to be enjoyable to play in a general sense with both for rp and combat.  I will probably focus on bashing and rp at first in order to get the hand of things then get heavy into combat once I understand the curing system, etc.  I am not quite sure what kind of character I would like to play, but for now I am going with the idea of a noble/honorable, kind, tough as nails, stoic type. When I do get into combat I would be most interested in raiding/raid defence so pve while being able to hold my own 1v1.

Goals:  I would definitely like to reach Dragon fairly quickly (this is just a personal goal because I like to challenge myself).  However, I do not want to just get bored bashing and quit.  I want this to be an enjoyable overall experience and interact with the world and perhaps even get involved in house/city politics or an order.

Classes: for some reasons the classes that most appeal to me are magi, monk, sylvan.

Cities: the cities that seem to appeal to me most are Cyrene, Ashtan, Eleusis, and Targossas.  I am curious how important is city culture in terms of being willing to get involved in combat?

Races: not very important, but for some reason Atavian appeals to me also dwarf (if I went monk) or perhaps tsol'aa (if I went magi/sylvan).

RP:  I like being in the role of defending the good and innocent/nature thus why targossas/eleusis/cyrene appeal to me while also pursuing personal excellence and being around members who are competitive (which sounds more like Ashtan?).  I would eventually like to get into the lore of my class and whatever organization I choose to try to advance in.  I would like to be useful to my organization and over time perhaps move to a position of leadership.

Credits:  I would like to do this with no/little real life $$.  I am willing to devote a lot of time to compensate.  I would like to be effective and useful particularly while raiding/defending even if I am not in the top tiers and hold my own 1v1.

Magi concerns: getting jumped.  Sylvan concerns: hard to tri-trans? Forestals seem to have a lot of writing/creativity requirements to rise in a house? Monk concerns: an rp environment that is too ascetic and not enjoyable in a somewhat casual way.

Eleusis concerns: Perhaps a bit too non-combative? Too sentimental? Targossas concerns: RP can be wooden if it attracts inexperienced players like Shallam used to. Ashtan concerns: too power focused? No cooperative influence?

Please feel free to suggest other classes, cities, etc as well.  I have a general idea of what I'd like, but perhaps posting these ideas would give someone an "aha!" moment of inspiration that would be useful in guiding me to a good in game fit.

I am very interested in @locun / @Iocun 's opinion (I couldn't tell if that was a L or an i
    Eleusis is the current bandwagon. Go there if you ever want to defect, an good combatant, or a fighter in general.
    Alrena, Rangor, Iakimen, Exelethril, and a few others are great fighters.
  • I think an Eleusis Slylvan/Monk would suit you best.

Monk is better for bashing and Sylvan is better for PK.  Overall they are good for both though.  Minimal lesson investment as well.

Sticking point might be your house.  The Sentinels (monk) are far and away better than the Sylvanic Fellowship (lol name) which support Sylvans and Magi
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    It's Iocun.  i.  Anyways, in regards to your questions, you're pretty much asking the impossible.  A few things caught my eye, however.  Eleusis is not non-combat at all.  It's highly militarized, and as such has somewhat constant raiding and assaults (especially when Mhaldor decides to exterminate). Non-com right now would be Hashan, and possibly Cyrene.

In regards to class, if you have it narrowed down to three possible choices, then it seems like you've already done your homework and understand the base mechanics of each class already.  Shouldn't that make your choice easier?

RP/City/Class is all what you make of it.  All you can do is listen to other people list the pros and cons of each, but you will ultimately make your own decision regardless.  YOU will be the one playing that character, not anyone else.  Do what YOU want to do.

As far as monetary compensation goes, feel free to never spend a single penny on Achaea if you don't want to.  That is the joy of the model of the game.  It's always free to play, and is not pay to win by any means.  Artifacts help, but they do not win fights for you.  Hell, I have a fuckton of artifacts and I'm still a terrible combatant.  You can make credits through gold earned in the game, or you can win lotteries, be given them as rewards for friends or for contests in the game, or even through the fanfic contest, Artisanals.  There are many, many ways to earn credits without paying real money for them.  Though I like to pay for them when I can, since it goes to support the game that I've been playing for the last 12 years.

tl;dr version is get your hands dirty and try.  If you don't like a particular class/city combination, try a different one until you find one that matches your personality and desires.  That's the only real advice that anyone could ever give you.
  • KyrtonKyrton California
    edited April 2014
    One more idea/comment/concern:  In terms of getting a mentor or advice and being integrated into a community which would be the best house/city for the respective classes? For example if I were to choose Magi and join the Sylvanic fellowship is that viable in terms of learning retardation skill in combat from someone more experienced who might be willing to take me under their wing?  Is cataclysm still very sought after for raiding/defending?

I am definitely willing to put in the work toward an organization that helps its new members and in turn pay it forward when I am more established.  Perhaps this is one of the most important aspects of the game for me as it leads to real friendships and a sense of being a part of something fun and worthwhile.

Also I would like the opinion of @Penwize in terms of finding a group/organization/city that keeps up the motivation in terms of bashing for dragon.

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kyrton said:
    One more idea/comment/concern:  In terms of getting a mentor or advice and being integrated into a community which would be the best house/city for the respective classes? For example if I were to choose Magi and join the Sylvanic fellowship is that viable in terms of learning retardation skill in combat from someone more experienced who might be willing to take me under their wing?  Is cataclysm still very sought after for raiding/defending?

I am definitely willing to put in the work toward an organization that helps its new members and in turn pay it forward when I am more established.  Perhaps this is one of the most important aspects of the game for me as it leads to real friendships and a sense of being a part of something fun and worthwhile.

Also I would like the opinion of @Penwize in terms of finding a group/organization/city that keeps up the motivation in terms of bashing for dragon.
    Missed this in my essay earlier.

You'll be able to find a mentor in pretty much all classes in all cities with the possible exception of monk in Cyrene (I don't know how active Rinzai is anymore). We don't have a lot of Magi in Eleusis right now, but there are a few (Alrena, Lothiac) who understand how the class works very well and would be able to teach you. Cataclysm is, sadly, not as useful as it once was, but it's nice to have if it's possible.

@Penwize is currently also MIA, not too sure where he's gone. We're hoping he'll be back pretty soon, though.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    edited April 2014
    Ok wow thank you @Melodie for that very good across the board breakdown.  It is much appreciated.  I think based on what you described Eleusis definitely sounds more like the place for me.  However, you used some terms I am unfamiliar with:

1. LoS
    2. "Relies heavily on tricks for 1v1 as well, as they have no "finishers", but lots of room to be extremely creative in their kills."
    The creativity aspect definitely sounds appealing to me.  What do you mean by tricks?
    3. "long def-up (so bursting is kind of useless)"
    ???

(although magi are terrible when jumped, as you mentioned later)

How annoying can this become over time?  If you begin to become important in raiding/defending are you opening yourself up to being constantly griefed?
    Triak said:
    Monk is better for bashing and Sylvan is better for PK.
    to break the tie what is more useful in raids?  If I get involved I may get the IRE membership to make bashing easier and tritrans but I would like credit spending to be kept to a minimum and not rely on artefacts very much.  For some reason vibrations and retardation sound like an interesting combat mechanic and I am curious to explore it.

I would like to hear from anyone involved in Ashtan's monk/magi guilds as well in terms of what kind of rp is available.

• Just a small note about monks, everyone always cites it as hands down best at bashing...which is true, if you like bashing for 15 mins of every hour and sleeping the rest of the time. Endurance drain as a monk is absolutely staggering, after trying a bunch of different classes (admittedly with only fabled in the skills so I could keep trying new ones and not embrace), I found knight classes like runewarden to be 'best overall' at bashing (lower endurance drain, though still noticeable, with lots of tank and, assuming decent weapons, not painfully slow), but with the caveat of having a large equipment 'buy in'. Serpent was unexpectedly fun, at least for me, though the general consensus seems to be that it's really weak bashing. But hey...you can garrote all day every day and laugh at the idea of endurance drain.

edited April 2014
    Kyrton said:
    Ok wow thank you @Melodie for that very good across the board breakdown.  It is much appreciated.  I think based on what you described Eleusis definitely sounds more like the place for me.  However, you used some terms I am unfamiliar with:

-Very happy I've been able to be helpful so far!

1. LoS - This means "line of sight", which are attacks you can use within, literally, your line of sight across multiple rooms. So say you have an enemy two north of you, you can use some attacks to hit them. The other would be "area attacks", which means you can hit anyone within a 3 room radius of you. Some attacks are LoS, some are area attacks, and some (like shooting arrows) are only adjacent (meaning only one room over). These attacks cannot be used within the same room as you, but are designed for slightly more long distance fighting.
    2. "Relies heavily on tricks for 1v1 as well, as they have no "finishers", but lots of room to be extremely creative in their kills."
    The creativity aspect definitely sounds appealing to me.  What do you mean by tricks? Retardation is an amazing equalizer that allowes not just the Magi, but all classes to do certain things that would not otherwise work in normal conditions. It's a bit lengthy to explain, but in general times, retardation makes all of your input commands about one second slower (thanks @Iakimen for the correction here!). This includes curing, which is a huge deal. So afflictions with retardation are that much more important, and if you can throw your opponent off-equilibrium, they are in some very serious trouble. Tricks include using things like envenomed daggers to afflict with certain venoms. I don't know all the ins and outs, as I've never played a Magi, but I've fought against them and it is some scary stuff. A good mentor will be able to help teach you all of these tricks, and you may be able to invent your own, too!
    ??? - Starburst is a tattoo that, when you die, will automatically bring you back to life. However, you will come alive with absolutely no defences at all. This is okay/dealable with most classes, but for some (including magi and sylvan), you really have to put up defences in order to at all be viable in attacking, so sometimes "bursting" (as it is often called) is kind of useless. It does depend on the situation, of course. Sylvan's viridian takes ages to do, plus putting up elemental channels, plus barkskin, and between the three, you're not going to have the time to put them up again if someone is slamming on you hard.

How annoying can this become over time?  If you begin to become important in raiding/defending are you opening yourself up to being constantly griefed? - Completely depends on the faction you join. It can be pretty annoying but dealable. From what I understand a lot of Magi will roam around with viberations (room-control affects) to help mitigate that if they're expecting to be jumped, but most times they'll just run away as neccessary. It can be annoying, but every class has pros and cons. If you become important in combat, you may indeed expect such things to happen. Hasar deals very well though, so I'm pretty sure it's doable if you're willing to put up with it to play to the other strengths of the class. Dragon also does not have this problem, once you obtain it.
    Triak said:
    to break the tie what is more useful in raids?  If I get involved I may get the IRE membership to make bashing easier and tritrans but I would like credit spending to be kept to a minimum and not rely on artefacts very much.  For some reason vibrations and retardation sound like an interesting combat mechanic and I am curious to explore it.

I would like to hear from anyone involved in Ashtan's monk/magi guilds as well in terms of what kind of rp is available.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • If you go magi, you can expect to be useless if jumped (unartied, that is) and also be targeted first during raids. But if you enjoy retardation fighting as much as I do, it's the class for you. Retardation can really level the playing field against someone much higher level/artifacted then you are. 

• ZincorZincor USA
    edited April 2014
    Adioro said:
    Just a small note about monks, everyone always cites it as hands down best at bashing...which is true, if you like bashing for 15 mins of every hour and sleeping the rest of the time. Endurance drain as a monk is absolutely staggering, after trying a bunch of different classes (admittedly with only fabled in the skills so I could keep trying new ones and not embrace), I found knight classes like runewarden to be 'best overall' at bashing (lower endurance drain, though still noticeable, with lots of tank and, assuming decent weapons, not painfully slow), but with the caveat of having a large equipment 'buy in'. Serpent was unexpectedly fun, at least for me, though the general consensus seems to be that it's really weak bashing. But hey...you can garrote all day every day and laugh at the idea of endurance drain.
    Trans Fitness.  Also, the ring of endurance and the circlet of willpower are both fairly cheap artefacts, considering the prices of others.  Make friends with forestals that can make campfires or grove rains.  Make use of wp/end regen rooms in house estates.  

Edit: Also, not sure if I am correct on this completely, but now that stances carry through as you move rooms, I think you use less endurance now.
    edited April 2014
    Also, one more abstract question.  Which of the above classes is more survivable in different scenarios?  Is it very time consuming to bash for the gold for artefacts?

Kyrton said:
    Also, one more abstract question.  Which of the above classes is more survivable in different scenarios?  Is it very time consuming to bash for the gold for artefacts?
    Magi: Getting jumped will suck unless you have vibes down. Kind of squishy without artefacts, but lots of escape ability if you know what you're doing.

Sylvan: Getting jumped without defs will suck, with defs (mostly viridian/channels/barkskin) will be fine. Virdian gives +2 int and +2 con, so sylvans tend to be more tanky even without artefacts. Same escape abilities as magi, except instead of crystalhome, you have grove return/flow (for forests only).

Monk: As long as you can react fast (enemy whoever is hitting you, get up one or two basic defs like kai trance), you'll be fine if you're jumped - probably the best off. Monks are easily one of the tankiest classes in Achaea thanks to several of their healing abilities, not to mention artefacts.

Bashing for artefacts: This will most definitely be a time-consuming thing. IRE membership will help a TON, but even without it, it's possible. Some of the best ways to get gold/credits in-game include bashing higher-level areas, deep sea fishing, trade skills (this has an initial lesson investment, three aren't tied to class but require credits to learn, the rest are tied to class for now), buying credits from your city/House, playing in any city/House games/contests to earn prizes (often credits). There are probably more, but that's some of the best/easiest. It'll take a long time (I'm still working on mine), but it's worthwhile and neat to get that sense of accomplishment in earning your way forward.
  • As a sidenote, there is a classlead that was accepted afaik, by @Kaden, that will help with the getting-jumped-no-vibes-up problem for magi.

edited April 2014
    @Hasar, wtf happened to your avatar.

What is that.

I'm so confused.

Edit: Oh, looking at the bigger picture of it helped. All good.
  • Melodie said:
    Afraid our lovely Iocun isn't active at the moment. I'm not nearly as good of a stand-in, but I'll see what I can do.

:(

• edited April 2014
    Kyrton said:

1. LoS
    The creativity aspect definitely sounds appealing to me.  What do you mean by tricks?
    ???

How annoying can this become over time?  If you begin to become important in raiding/defending are you opening yourself up to being constantly griefed?
    Triak said:

As an Ashtani Magi, the Warlocks are a nice house, but the RP of Ashtan definitely revolves around the Occultists house. Mainly for a lack of people that interested in RP, those that are head to the Occultists. Crystalism is an amazing skill, strong passive damage, afflictions, prone, mana drain. Utility with being able to portal to people. Cataclysm is amazing although harder to get since it requires more than one Mage to spin it. And retardation is one if the funniest skills in the game. Takes a lot of practice but is arguably the only viable way to kill someone as a Mage that has a ton of healths/resistances and the like. Also you can die in retardation just as easy if your opponent knows what he/she is doing

At school on my phone so my thoughts might not be as collected and formatted exactly how I may have liked in this post!
  • Oh! As another aside on this topic, don't forget that you can change class for basically free all the way up to fabled in two skills. I definitely took advantage of that when I was deciding on a class. Fabled is enough to give you a good idea what you're in for.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your input.  I have decided to pursue a monk for now as I think over the long run it will be a more versatile character fitting with my goals in a variety of situations, but if I don't enjoy it very much over the course of a month or two I will try something else out.  Thanks so much!

One more question, in terms of Magi vs Sylvan, which house would you find to be most active?  Which house would be more.. estoeric?  This can be for any city I have read good things about the Mojushai and am drawn to their ethos as well as the arcane kindred from a roleplaying standpoint.  I am willing to sacrifice activity for a "deeper" experience however, I would still like to be combat ready/capable and learn from the best.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Sylvan is only really accepted in one city, Eleusis, and only one non-eleusis house accepts them, being the Merchants. The merchants are, in my opinion, decently active. Can't speak for the eleusis houses though, sorry.

I was a member of the Kindred for a while, they have a VERY deep experience, but the work you'll have to put into it is quite heavy (unless they ditched some of the requirements)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• If you want to learn magi tactics, come to either Targ for me  and Terra, Cyrene for Kaden, or Mhaldor for Scrublord Hasar.

• well if you want esoteric, Mhaldor is the way to go! There you can wonder why people and yourself would play in the most bleak place with the most constricting rules and the meanest attitudes, all while abusing and hating yourself for being weak every single day!

But really, I think you sound like a loosis guy to me, plenty of great people with great attitudes in both RP and PVP. Sure we all have our days, but they are one of the few people I really enjoy fighting against. Always good sports. They'll also have a decently flexible way for you to play out your RP with your tough n gritty attitude while still being a pretty nice dood.

Right now houses have their merit, but if you really want to get into the deeper stuff you'll be wanting to look towards orders. Having an active house is nice, but based on what you've said I think you should just join what works and start looking into possible orders to join.

But really, you're going to find plenty of good people anywhere you go. Have fun and I look forward to killing you someday!
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    Aepas said:
     Have fun and I look forward to killing you someday!
    Thank you I will, I look forward to dying (though hopefully not too often) while I learn the combat system haha.

• AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    My protege is awesome.
  • edited April 2014
    Heard my name being mentioned! Well, I don't know why specifically my advice was requested, but it seems you got all the important information either way. I think monk is a good choice for what you were looking for and your originally voiced concern of monk houses perhaps being "too ascetic" is probably unnecessary. Some level of "ascetism" can play a role in some of these orgs, but it's rarely enforced to an extreme and often more the RP decision of individuals.

House/city-wise I don't have enough first-hand experience to be able to say what you can expect in each of them, but I wouldn't worry too much about making a "perfect choice". It's impossible to find orgs that will completely satisfy every character plan and expectation. If you're too fixated on a preconceived character development you'll often get disappointed. Rather, keep your rough goals for your character in mind, join whatever house/city sounds most appealing to you from the outside and then let yourself be carried to wherever that takes you. This includes allowing the orgs you choose influence your character. You don't have to plan out everything from the start.

Oh, and as for "being combat ready and learning from the best"... well, one doesn't necessarily have to learn from the best to become the best! Good teachers are valuable, no doubt, but one can learn just as much by fighting/talking with people who aren't much more experienced than yourself, as well as being generally curious, inquisitive, and willing to experiment. If you just blindly follow some mentor's advice, you'll never surpass that mentor!
    edited April 2014
    That's why your presence was requested haha.  Thanks for that post.

I had read a lot of your posts on the forums before this thread and your advice seemed sensible.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Aww, @Iocun has a fan!

Get in line, kid. Some of us have been waiting a long time for the chance to become camel groupies.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    I think that camel has a tumor or a large mammary gland or something by the way

• I always assumed that was a keg of alcohol for some reason.