Opening/Closing Books

So, one thing I think would be cool, instead of having to emote it each time, is the ability to open and close journals, scrolls, and manuscripts. If it should be closed, you will not be able to read its contents until you OPEN it. Likewise, when done reading it, one would CLOSE it prior to just haphazardly placing it back on the bookshelf or simply tossing it in a pack.

I think it would just be a good flavour interaction with books, so if you pull a journal out, you can open it and people can notice that you're in the process of reading. Granted, it's easy enough to emote this, but I look at it like containers. You have to open them to get anything out of them, and close them when you've decided you're done with them. You can't see what's in them unless you open them. So too, I find, it would be nifty to have literature work in a similar fashion.

Another option, for personal journals, is the ability to CLASP them closed, preventing others from opening them in order to read the contents. This could be a gold option offered through the denizen in Thera (the name eludes me at the moment), or a simple artefact that can be attached to one journal permanently, such as a Collar of Lupas is (except priced the same as signet ring and taper, for 25 credits).

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I think the clasping thing would be a bit overkill. Everyone and their mother would do it. But the bit about opening and closing them would be nice, so long as you could custom emote how it'd look.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Well, we need gold sinks...
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited March 2014
    I like the idea of opening/closing the journals. I am not sure how I feel about the additional security of a lockable journal, everything already feels so safe on Achaea. Perhaps if it were possible to have the clasp removed by a locksmith or something at the same or double the cost of having the clasp added? I think this would make thieves more likely to negotiate the return of a journal if they don't want to shell out the gold to have the clasp removed and the additional cost of adding a clasp would make the original owner more likely to try and buy back their journal.
  • Kresslack said:
    Another option, for personal journals, is the ability to CLASP them closed, preventing others from opening them in order to read the contents. This could be a gold option offered through the denizen in Thera (the name eludes me at the moment), or a simple artefact that can be attached to one journal permanently, such as a Collar of Lupas is (except priced the same as signet ring and taper, for 25 credits).
    Next stop: Chastity Belts.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Sylvance said:
    Kresslack said:
    Next stop: Chastity Belts.
    Have yet to come across a chastity belt I wasn't able to pick.

• As long as cloak/shroud hides opening or closing books, sounds cool.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Would be cool but maybe just make it an additional interaction so that when constantly referring to a journal or such you wouldn't need the additional command. I can see that getting kind of old because I still longhand most of my commands.