XP Event, did you enjoy/like it?

Comments

• Biggest issue with grove rezz @Wysteria missed is that you don't need the body.

We could win a fight, but if one person lived to blow up the mushrooms on the path to wherever we fought everyone of them was up 30s later. An Alchemist doesn't have this kind of effect. Harassing the grove is irrelevant because once they knew we knew where it was, it was moved and concealed again, so the hunt had to begin again while dealing with constant insta-grove gate (pre-monolith doesn't matter if you're constantly moving looking for something).

If grove rezz didn't exist or required a corpse, Iakimen would have 8 less points at the very least. He died less than 2 minutes before the end of the egghunt and Mhaldor destroyed the corpse.

Is it a nice factional thing? Yes. Is it too powerful? In certain situations. I think if that grove thing that lets you place a temporary grove in any forest had a 1 hour cooldown the whole thing would be addressed, the mobility of that power is the only issue with it in my opinion. Eleusis currently has 100% initiation control once they move and conceal a grove. If you could know where they were setup, even if concealed, because there was a minor restriction on how often it could be re-located, that would let you reasonably approach on foot.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• And Silas out of left field with the year and a half old factoid. Thanks, bro, for the injection of your opinion. I don't care that Iakimen got the staff, for the record. Jhui had a 45 million point lead in XP and Iakimen won. That shit was clutch. Earned the hell out of it.

• edited March 2014
    Why didn't you have someone track/empress? Even if they had a monolith down, you certainly had enough people to let one get burst and leap out for empress. And if not, that sounds like information worth dying for, assuming you react quick enough once you learn where they are.

i'm a rebel

• edited March 2014
    We did (track/earring, ofc). Are you aware how many forest rooms there are on Meropis? LoL. Takes two seconds to find another room to port to.

It's whatever, really. There was one point where I was flying around Meropis getting explorer rank and @Rangor tracked me for like ten minutes straight before finally tenting me to my doom somehow D:

• When did we have that many people? We occasionally had as many as Eleusis on Meropis, for the last few hours we were at least 2:1 outnumbered (occasionally 3:1) because Targ joined them.

Track/empress isn't a thing without an old auction item that we don't have.

Dragon track into earring assumes RNG escaping Wildgrowth, and hoping they aren't prepped to stop post-burst tactics with retard/totem because you don't know where you're going.

Dragon track with group means getting trigger-becalmed into a full group thornspraying, same issue with unknown levels of room prep.

All of the above also doesn't consider track is stopped by blizzard unless you have goggles of whitesight.

I'm not saying the amount of things you can do with a grove is broken, I'm saying the portability of that is the issue. If we could have one horribly bad setup fight/suicide and at least know where they would be the next fight, that would be one thing. That situation being the case every attempted fight because the grove could be moved instantly afterwards with no cooldown is where the problem came in.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• KardalKardal Belgium
    I liked the event. One of the few times that I (as a Cyrenian) can do some decent group combat, without it being completely uneven odds. Also improved my group combat by leaps, at the end everything went much smoother then at first.

That being said, I believe it's unfair to blame Cyrene for forming an "alliance'" with Eleusis when only two people of that entire city joined them in combat, and Colgano wasn't there for long at all. I did it for no other reason then for fun.

Only downside is that Ashtan had to come hunt me down and kill me a few times after the event for helping Eleusis, but I did expect that to happen so I wasn't really shocked. Though I do think that whatever happens in a free pk event, should stay there.

P.S. I was totally blackmailed into joining the Eleusis team by @Rangor otherwise I wouldn't be allied *cough* 
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited March 2014
    Well, we'll see how far of an "alliance" with Eleusis goes when CTF comes.

Edit: You forgot Agrias joined in too, but he has a reason because he joined an Eleusian house as a Cyrenian. But still, Senator and all.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited March 2014
    Hmm. Agrias joined, but he wasn't with Eleusis, or if he was, it was for a very very small amount of time. He mostly was just hunting to try and place. He quit about 4 hours in becaue he was getting ganked so much, as I recall.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited March 2014
    Would have enjoyed it a lot more without the free PK - giving people an entire DAY to kill with impunity and with no roleplay pretext whatsoever is downright annoying. I ended up withdrawing from the game because I got bored of being killed every few minutes and I wanted to hunt in peace. It did inspire me to hunt and I got a decent amount of xp out of it, but I won't be participating in another one as long as they're free PK. I can understand PK during a bandersnatch hunt - it serves a legitimate purpose - but this was just stupid.

edited to add: Or maybe limit PK to free PK on anyone in the top 10 - that way it's actually used to vie for top spots or create alliances rather than random griefing.

tl;dr: 10/10 would quit xpevent, die to Jinsun, and lose 4% xp again.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    One day mhaldor will have more than 10 active people again and we will be able to win something

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • People whine about pk too much.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Yes, wanting to roleplay in a roleplay game is so very unreasonable.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Sabah said:
    Would have enjoyed it a lot more without the free PK - giving people an entire DAY to kill with impunity and with no roleplay pretext whatsoever is downright annoying. I ended up withdrawing from the game because I got bored of being killed every few minutes and I wanted to hunt in peace. It did inspire me to hunt and I got a decent amount of xp out of it, but I won't be participating in another one as long as they're free PK. I can understand PK during a bandersnatch hunt - it serves a legitimate purpose - but this was just stupid.

edited to add: Or maybe limit PK to free PK on anyone in the top 10 - that way it's actually used to vie for top spots or create alliances rather than random griefing.

tl;dr: 10/10 would quit xpevent, die to Jinsun, and lose 4% xp again.
    There's enough non-PK tea drinking RP types in Cyrene maybe you could... you know... RP with the divines to get a special cupcakes-rainbow-unicorn-Cyrene-dragonalts-only-non-PK hunting event organized. Maybe you could even get it to happen for 1 month every 50 years. Personally, I would like to see something like that so I can laugh when the same people that didn't enjoy the free-PK come here and complain ZOMG stupid lag I died to a nel'dorath.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited March 2014
    Mishgul said:
    One day mhaldor will have more than 10 active people again and we will be able to win something
    To be entirely fair, Mhaldor had three people in the top ten, which I think was pretty good. We just didn't really have a concerted effort to back one single person to push for the top spot, and I don't think anyone was honestly gunning for it (think most people just wanted to pk; which is totally fine!)

Granted, it could also be because no Mhaldorian was really gunning for first that the hunters were (mostly) left alone, as far as I can see. If we'd had some sort of a plan to back just one single candidate, it might have been different, who knows. Just probably not as casually interesting for most people involved!

On topic: I really hate hunting, otherwise I might have given it a shot. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I have no problem whatsoever with PK when there's a reason for it. If I were in the top 10 and people were killing me to get me out of the top 10, it would have been a much more enjoyable XP event. Or, as in the bandersnatch hunt, when Santar was killing me because that's the only way he knows how to get points. As it was, it was just stupid. Not being a unicorn or a dragon alt, I'd probably be excluded from any "cupcakes-rainbow-unicorn-Cyrene-dragonalts-only-non-PK hunting event."
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Jurixe said:
    Mishgul said:
    To be entirely fair, Mhaldor had three people in the top ten, which I think was pretty good. We just didn't really have a concerted effort to back one single person to push for the top spot, and I don't think anyone was honestly gunning for it (think most people just wanted to pk; which is totally fine!)

Granted, it could also be because no Mhaldorian was really gunning for first that the hunters were (mostly) left alone, as far as I can see. If we'd had some sort of a plan to back just one single candidate, it might have been different, who knows. Just probably not as casually interesting for most people involved!

On topic: I really hate hunting, otherwise I might have given it a shot. 
    We don't have the artefacts, mobility or abilities to back one person. If that guy gets targetted, Mhaldor can't do squat to protect him. No summons or easy way to rezz and get him back in there. Our factional advantages are apparently soulspear or soulcage and having the most corridors in a city. They don't really help one hunt or protect the hunted. What we need is either jester to fit into Mhaldor or our classes needing some sort of concept rethink so they can be competitive in modern Achaea where we have big raids and big world events.

Me and @Tirac, @Dontarion and a few others tried for years with what we had, and Mhaldor has always been awesome in small group battles, and above average in duelling with factional classes, but in the big events we could even have numbers advantage but our factional classes just don't offer anything amazing to make a difference, or to allow for any cool strategies. That's what my experience has been like.

I'm not going to just sit back and cry obv (even though I would really like to cry over my inability to be cool in achaea) a lot of little Mhaldorians are going to be trying their hearts out in the y650 and i'm totally backing them, but the other factions have had a lot of concept changes and modifications made to them, and we got alchemist (which everyone got, and no one except @Dragonknight enjoys playing as, as far as I can tell). Would be nice if we had some major class updates thrown at us to keep things fresh. 

Don't get me wrong, apostate is fun, infernal is alright, but it's just stale because systems/people are getting better, but the classes stay the same and there are only so many methods you can throw out until you run out of options. 

I could always just start over in another city if this is all in my head and not everyone else thinks that way in Mhaldor, maybe I am just old and jaded and should play something else I don't know. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • But isn't the evil philosophy mostly based on individualism? From a metagame perspective, yes you probably need group based stuff because your faction is designed to be the enemy of everyone, but rezzes and helping others from an IC standpoint doesn't really fit. Maybe work in stuff like harnessing deaths in the room to give stat buffs or more active ways of using necromacy that doesn't waste time harvesting/eating hearts so individuals grow stronger at the expense of the rest of the group.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I'm certainly not saying it wouldn't be great to have some positive changes to the Evil factional classes, or that all of your points aren't valid (not being combat-inclined, I'll leave that to others to comment on the viability). I was more commenting on how nice it is to have a presence as a city in the games, even if not challenging for the highest honours.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• edited March 2014
    Does noone remember the say first 8 hours where Ashtan kicked our assess and we had to try and regroup on the mainplane while iakimen desperately ran all over trying to find things to hunt in peace, even having to like take an hour to sail to some distant islands?

you guys had us in the beginning but let us catch up at the end.
  • edited March 2014
    Sabah said:

Yes, wanting to roleplay in a roleplay game is so very unreasonable.

And bitching about an open PK EVENT that last all of 24 hours is reasonable?

Everyone and their mom knew this was open PK, and if you didn't then you damn well weren't prepared for the event anyway. No one forced you to join and no one forces you to log in.

Ofc you should want to roleplay that is why we are here.You can do that the other 340 odd days a year where there is no open PK. The Staff and the credits have to be earned, or else it would be stupid to give it out. Iaki worked his ass off to win it, and it was well deserved.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    Melodie said:

Hmm. Agrias joined, but he wasn't with Eleusis, or if he was, it was for a very very small amount of time. He mostly was just hunting to try and place. He quit about 4 hours in becaue he was getting ganked so much, as I recall.

Correct. The only help I gave Iakimen was leaving an area when I saw him hunting there and telling him hostiles showed up.

I joined for myself because I just wanted a championship point but everyone targeted the non-com soloist.

Which is fine. When I got tired of dying I quit and watched Sound of Music.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    High on the hill was a lonely goatherd.
  • Backstabs and retard and monk deliverance! Absolve and grove rez and bright glowing soulspears! Using quick escape skills: earrings and wiiings... these are a few of my favorite things!
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited March 2014
    Rangor said:
    Does noone remember the say first 8 hours where Ashtan kicked our assess and we had to try and regroup on the mainplane while iakimen desperately ran all over trying to find things to hunt in peace, even having to like take an hour to sail to some distant islands?

you guys had us in the beginning but let us catch up at the end.
    That never happened Rangor, you lie because Ashtan says so.

#GrovesOP #DeleteGroves #Sarcasm #Eleusisdoesn'twinanythingbecausewehaveOPabilitiesanddon'tworkforanything.
  • edited March 2014
    "And bitching about an open PK EVENT that last all of 24 hours is reasonable? Everyone and their mom knew this was open PK, and if you didn't then you damn well weren't prepared for the event anyway. No one forced you to join and no one forces you to log in. Ofc you should want to roleplay that is why we are here.You can do that the other 340 odd days a year where there is no open PK. The Staff and the credits have to be earned, or else it would be stupid to give it out. Iaki worked his ass off to win it, and it was well deserved."

@Atalkez - clearly I'm not the only one who was unhappy with how it was set up, given how the poll turned out. I wasn't bitching - I was offering suggestions for how things could be improved, none of which involved cutting out PK entirely. Limiting open PK to attacking those in the top 10 would still be challenging and there'd actually be a point. It was my first XP event (this is my first championship games). If "just shut up and go away" is how things are done here, why bother doing anything? I offered suggestions, if things don't change somewhat, I'll spend that 24 hours doing Bardd roleplay or reading a book. And hey, considering the results of this poll, maybe things will change.

And evidently you can't read, but I never once said Iakimen didn't deserve it. He's going to win the Staff. Good for him. Last I checked, the XP event didn't exist only for his enjoyment.
  • Atalkez said:
    Yes, wanting to roleplay in a roleplay game is so very unreasonable.
    And bitching about an open PK EVENT that last all of 24 hours is reasonable?

Everyone and their mom knew this was open PK, and if you didn't then you damn well weren't prepared for the event anyway. No one forced you to join and no one forces you to log in.

Ofc you should want to roleplay that is why we are here.You can do that the other 340 odd days a year where there is no open PK. The Staff and the credits have to be earned, or else it would be stupid to give it out. Iaki worked his ass off to win it, and it was well deserved.
    It doesn't seem unreasonable, to be honest. If you're some random who doesn't have a chance of placing highly, there's really only two reasons people would kill you: you're bashing in a high level area that they want/need for their faction's Staff contender or they just want to kill people because they can. The first is understandable, the second is just kind of sad.

There's also the additional complication of people apparently not bothering to check if people were even taking part in the event before killing them, and (correct me if I'm wrong) those people who were killed despite not being participants were still losing experience for those deaths.
  • edited March 2014
    Sabah said:

"And bitching about an open PK EVENT that last all of 24 hours is reasonable? Everyone and their mom knew this was open PK, and if you didn't then you damn well weren't prepared for the event anyway. No one forced you to join and no one forces you to log in. Ofc you should want to roleplay that is why we are here.You can do that the other 340 odd days a year where there is no open PK. The Staff and the credits have to be earned, or else it would be stupid to give it out. Iaki worked his ass off to win it, and it was well deserved."

@Atalkez - clearly I'm not the only one who was unhappy with how it was set up, given how the poll turned out. I wasn't bitching - I was offering suggestions for how things could be improved, none of which involved cutting out PK entirely. Limiting open PK to attacking those in the top 10 would still be challenging and there'd actually be a point. It was my first XP event (this is my first championship games). If "just shut up and go away" is how things are done here, why bother doing anything? I offered suggestions, if things don't change somewhat, I'll spend that 24 hours doing Bardd roleplay or reading a book. And hey, considering the results of this poll, maybe things will change.

And evidently you can't read, but I never once said Iakimen didn't deserve it. He's going to win the Staff. Good for him. Last I checked, the XP event didn't exist only for his enjoyment.
    My statement wasn't only directed at you, as your correct several people felt this way. Your thoughts mirror many, so let me address the general idea.

To me it's asinine considering that the Event and it's rules were displayed for all to see and we'll in advance. If you joined the event you should have had no reasonable expectation that you wouldn't get attacked. Regardless of factional affiliation, class, who your backing, etc.

People grief other people. This is true in life and in the game. With a fully administration sponsored OPEN PK Event, if you ever expected for a moment to -not get attacked- then your just naive.

I'm not trying to be a dick and I -can- read, but complaining about a situation you -willingly- joined in, knowing and accepting all rules thereof...then complaining about it is just all kinda of levels of WTF to me.

@Antonius‌ it is sad for those that got attacked while not in the Event. But that was the point. You were given a chance to practice your fighting skills without any repercussions for dying. While still bashing gaining double xp. Just don't see the point of complaining. You got to always stay in positive xp position while still getting the opportunity -play your character-.

I just dont see the problem.

• It's an interesting discussion to hear all sides on. I didn't take part in this event because I wasn't at home, but it sounds like it was really fun but simply too damn long.
    And really? The guy who advocates that there is absolutely nothing overpowered with using the advantage of a bajillion earrings in group combat is up in arms against groves??! Haha. That is a riot.