How fast do you read?

Coupled with Santar's thread, I thought it'd be fun to see what people can do on this. There aren't results, because it can't predict how many words you retained, but it's pretty clear when you're doing well and when you're not. Basically start at 300WPM or so and work your way up the settings until you can't understand the information being presented to you.

I can still get all the words at 1300WPM, I start losing about every third word at 1400, and anything 1550 and over is a comprehensive mess that I can't get anything out of. My roommate did this for me so I could get a sense of whether it was good or not, and he ended up not being able to go over 400.

Comments

• Errrr. I started losing words at about 600-700wpm, but it feels more because words were only given to you one at a time. I think I could read a book faster.

• You can make it give up to six words at a time though.

I'd need to find text I haven't already read for this, though. Re-reading stuff makes it significantly easier and stuff. Still, I can sorta keep up with about ~1000wpm apparently!
  • I was able to do 1000 for comprehension and not every word with the one word chunks before noticing that you could do larger chunks.  Put it at 8 word chunks and I can do 2500 and get every single word, or I can do 3000 and comprehend general meaning (used various news articles).  Could not do 4000.  Didn't try to finetune beyond that.

I don't actually read anything like this besides Achaea, I intentionally read books slowly, especially since I've been working through poetry for a while.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Ellodin said:
    I was able to do 1000 for comprehension and not every word with the one word chunks before noticing that you could do larger chunks.  Put it at 8 word chunks and I can do 2500 and get every single word, or I can do 3000 and comprehend general meaning (used various news articles).  Could not do 4000.  Didn't try to finetune beyond that.

I don't actually read anything like this besides Achaea, I intentionally read books slowly, especially since I've been working through poetry for a while.
    Oh snap. I didn't notice the chunk size at first. I hit 3k with full reading. Awesome!

Regarding your point about books, it's been a curse to me that I cannot slow down my reading speed unless I read the book out loud :(

• Trey said:

Coupled with Santar's thread, I thought it'd be fun to see what people can do on this. There aren't results, because it can't predict how many words you retained, but it's pretty clear when you're doing well and when you're not. Basically start at 300WPM or so and work your way up the settings until you can't understand the information being presented to you.

I can still get all the words at 1300WPM, I start losing about every third word at 1400, and anything 1550 and over is a comprehensive mess that I can't get anything out of. My roommate did this for me so I could get a sense of whether it was good or not, and he ended up not being able to go over 400.
    You just made my day. Now excuse me while I go post this to my online course site and force all my academic reading students to engage in it as part of an online discussion project.