Bandersnatch Hunt

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Tesha said:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4074                                     (03/19/2014 at 19:07)  
    From   : Tecton, the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Bandersnatch changes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coming up to the Championship Bandersnatch this evening, we've made some small tweaks to 
    make the contest more enjoyable. The details are as follows:

* Participants can no longer enter the wilderness while playing the game.
    * Dropped tumtum fruit will now randomly reset to a new room (similar to CTF flags).
    * Tumtums can no longer be VEILDELIVERed or FALCON DELIVERed.

Penned by My hand on the 9th of Miraman, in the year 650 AF.

Jaizsur I love you.

Don't love me yet. Here's me being troublesome again--

* Participants can no longer enter the wilderness while playing the game.
              How do you go hunt in some of the areas that you can only get to via the wilderness?

* Dropped tumtum fruit will now randomly reset to a new room (similar to CTF flags).
              Unless things have changed, how are you supposed to feed your uneaten fruit to a Bandersnatch?

* Tumtums can no longer be VEILDELIVERed or FALCON DELIVERed.

Crazy that that was even possible in the first place.

Another note on the wilderness ban-- this effectively helps people with a larger crew rather than helping individuals. Really one of the only ways to keep from being absolutely wrecked by a large team is by escaping to the wilderness and keep running.

This may seem anti-competitive but I disagree on a few grounds:
    • Hiding in the wilderness may keep you alive but since Tumtum fruit/Bandersnatchi don't appear in the wilderness it won't help your overall score.
    • Ergo, you're required to maximize your time outside the wilderness as much as possible in order accrue points
    • Anyone looking to kill you has those windows in which to try and take you out
    • Having somewhere to escape once you think you've gathered enough points prevents a Kai-Choke/Cataclysm team from just tracking you down and ending your life.

And @eld I'm fine with there being a 2v2 event because at least there's a set number to the team. You still need to have individual skill to win a 2v2. My point about Bandersnatch hunts is that the individual skill is nullified by uncapped team numbers.
  • Ah, I think I can answer some of those concerns (I'll leave the ones I can't for someone who can).

You might not know, but we recently changed a lot of ranged abilities. You will need to get in pretty close before dropping people with kai choke and such, there's no such thing as true area dominance anymore. So if you're intelligent about staying mobile and don't let yourself get cornered, avoiding that should still be more than viable.

On dropping, there's a delay. You'll not have issues when it comes to dropping them for the purposes of progressing your score.

• Got it. How close is "pretty close" though? A good team should be able to hunt down someone pretty easily.

Personally, I think the wilderness should be a viable option for escape. Let's not make things easier for gank squads-- make 'em work for it.

Tumtum fruit SHOULD immediately disappear if DROPPED in the wilderness though, to prevent hiding.

Guess you can still GIVE fruit to people but I like the dialogue that's going on.
  • Various abilities are different, but the one's that are likely relevant to the cenario your thinking of are either line of sight or require the target and the attacker be within three rooms of one another.
  • Oh you.

• Makarios said:
    Various abilities are different, but the one's that are likely relevant to the cenario your thinking of are either line of sight or require the target and the attacker be within three rooms of one another.
    Oh are you a God/Celani? I'm very behind on the times, my apologies. I think there are some ways to make the event a little more interesting/fun if people agree it shouldn't heavily favor teams so.
  • Any chance of the 'going inside' aspect modified a bit?

Let going inside being acceptable for a period of time (say 3-5 seconds) just so you don't get screwed over by walking into a room you didn't know was classified as indoors?

• Cooper said:
    Any chance of the 'going inside' aspect modified a bit?

Let going inside being acceptable for a period of time (say 3-5 seconds) just so you don't get screwed over by walking into a room you didn't know was classified as indoors?
    Don't baby people too much. :x
  • Jaizsur said:
    Here's a possible scenario that can play out.

Ashtani Blujixapug has 20 Championship Points
    Eleusian Delphinus has 30 Championship Points

Delphinus is a better Banderbowman than Blujixapug.

Blujixapug's Ashtani Death Squad overpowers Delphinus' pitiful tree-dwelling band of free-love pacifists. Blujixapug gets first place in the Bandersnatch hunt, Delphinus receives 0. Blujixapug wins the event and the games with a total of 32 points even though he trailed by 10 coming into the match.

I think it should be noted that a highly skilled Bandersnatch player could end up with 0 points by the sheer misfortune of having less defenders in his/her gang.
    Please don't... don't bring up my name in connection to bandersnatch hunts. The memories have been purged. DO NOT BRING THEM BACK.
    But you're on my short list of people that are deserving of the Staff by now. :( You, Delphinus, Imyrr, Iocun. Asara... I am disappoint.
  • I don't get it, Why are you listing dormant/dead people?
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    (I really don't want to derail the topic or post off of it, but come on, how has no one made a comment about questions being asked by the wind?)

• @Makarios‌

Scenario*

Hate to be that guy but had to >.>

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited March 2014
    Lol people not joining the event so they can kill people with eggs and use hermit / astralform

• edited March 2014
    Hirst was in the event... you just lose all your points if you do either of those.

Eleusis had grove flow and conceal, bro.

Dunn said:
    Hirst was in the event... you just lose all your points if you do either of those.

Eleusis had grove flow and conceal, bro.
    I tried using hermit and received a pretty clear "This ability is disabled for this event" message.

• edited March 2014
    Dude he was yellow on my screen. He was in the event. 

I couldn't get his name unhighlighted from Mudlet search, but his name is clearly yellow like everyone else. Notice that the yellow name of Gyrth is the opposite of Hirst (happens when you highlight in buffer).

Yeah you're right, he joined midway through. In the beginning of the event he was running around and using hermit. Actually our group attacked him first, and he hermited away, and I said on PT that Hirst isn't in the event. Then I guess he joined the event later on.

• And you guys used flow throughout.

GG.

• edited March 2014
    Flow being usable was beyond broken and pretty much ruined the event for me. Conceal being usable was fun like doughnuts.

I hit 62 noose traps and 48 nairat (or 38, can't remember which it was) which was also fun like punching me in the face is.

• He had to have joined in the beginning. You weren't allowed to follow someone unless you were both in the event, or both not in the event. I joined right when we could, and was following Hirst around with Strata in the beginning.
    Haha we really didn't, our group was never coordinated enough to use flow, the first 90% of the event was us trying to locate eachother. We never set a rally point and the whole game was basically "group wipe, everyone try to find Rangor while he runs around, wipe again, repeat". Except the last 10 mins when they flowed to a Mhaldor group, but at that point I was like screw this, I've got a constant 0.8s lag.

Kross said:
    He had to have joined in the beginning. You weren't allowed to follow someone unless you were both in the event, or both not in the event. I joined right when we could, and was following Hirst around with Strata in the beginning.
    Weird man cause I swear in like the first 10 - 15 mins of the event, our group jumped Hirst and he hermited away. Disappeared in a technic of multicolored lights was the message.

• You could use hermits that were there before the event. Not sure if that explains, but from what I was told, that was the case.

• XerXer Langley
    edited March 2014
    Grove flow/conceal to the other side of the world with forestwatch up was pretty broken. You don't need coordination to just hold fruits for other people and run away :P Then soulrezzing and giving all the fruits of those who grove flowed/concealed away was also pretty broken too D: Some other bugs (I'm guessing that's a bug or an oversight haha) to be looked at too for future bandersnatches that don't come to mind off the top of my head haha.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Wish there were more fruits/bandersnatch released over time or to start with, after the first 15 minutes mostly everything was found and it became solely about pvp. I don't mind that it's an option to get 25 people and crush everything, but I don't think that should be the sole way to win.

Grove conceal/flow working during the vent was a really huge advantage, too.

i'm a rebel

• Come on over, Coop. @Jhui got us all a handle of Knob Creek.

EI / WI was eye sigil'd to hell so most of our PK group embraced everytime we wiped anyways. For our egg holders, yeah that is unfair flow was turned on.

• Yeaaaaaaah we dipped into our War CTF stocks of flames and eyes... :)

• A bag of stasis is holding:
    "sigil233028"                           a group of 460 eye sigils
    "flame sigil195796"                     a group of 1511 flame-shaped sigils
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."