Gold Sinks

15678911»

Comments

• That's absolutely not the reason they're so high. The reason they're so high is because people will pay for them, because there's unlimited amounts of gold to be had. 

• edited March 2014
    edit:  Nevermind.  I'm not entertaining trolls anymore.  Mithridates, I bow to your superior understanding of ... every possible subject.
  • If anything, undercutting drives the price down. Not trolling you, just educating the ignorant on economics. Yes, that includes you, Mr. Know it all.

• edited March 2014
    Brainstorming here (yep, I'm feeling brave today):

What about a Wheel placed somewhere in the mainland, that you can pay a crap-tonne of gold to spin once per period X which gives you a small chance of some Good or Bad Things Happening (tm)?

Some ideas to kick it off would include: (Bonuses:) Extra move-per-second; 5% experience boost; 1% crit bonus; +1 stat; random one-day artefact (this doubles up as in-game advertising of just how cool it would be to buy artefact X!); visit from Ironbeard. (Maluses:) The opposite of any of the above; (Neutral:) Nothing happens; some Cool (tm) aesthetic change to your exit/entrance message;

I'd suggest making it so that the effect lasts a full Achaean month, but obviously the whole cost-to-risk-to-benefit ratio would be the crux of actually making this a gold sink.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Before I leave this thread for the last time, I want to state that I tried to help the naive, short-sighted folks that have populated it. It's a shame that good sense was looked over because of personal bias, but hey: that's what forum RP is all about.
  • @Cooper - looks like I've found a new forum BFF...
  • Sylvance said:

What about a Wheel placed somewhere in the mainland, that you can pay a crap-tonne of gold to spin once per period X which gives you a small chance of some Good or Bad Things Happening (tm)?

Some ideas to kick it off would include: (Bonuses:) Extra move-per-second; 5% experience boost; 1% crit bonus; +1 stat; random one-day artefact (this doubles up as in-game advertising of just how cool it would be to buy artefact X!); visit from Ironbeard. (Maluses:) The opposite of any of the above; (Neutral:) Nothing happens; some Cool (tm) aesthetic change to your exit/entrance message;

I'd suggest making it so that the effect lasts a full Achaean month, but obviously the whole cost-to-risk-to-benefit ratio would be the crux of actually making this a gold sink.
    The wheel in Lusternia (and I think there's one in Aetolia?) was so much fun. I'd love something like this! 
  • Let people write in languages (scrambling it just like says/tells/etc. do for those who can't understand the language). Would make learning a language more worth it!
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Anedhel said:
    Let people write in languages (scrambling it just like says/tells/etc. do for those who can't understand the language). Would make learning a language more worth it!
    ...But people can already write in languages, no? It just isn't scrambled for those who can't understand it.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Yes, but secret messages more better.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Based on the latest announce, I believe comms are about to shoot up in price.

• Buy all the steel!
  • Can I forge myself some boots of AXK?
  • Sylvance said:

Or just make Wheel tarot have more than 4 effects.

Bluef said:
    Love the idea of cartels @Trevize. Speaking of crafting goldsinks, I was looking over the United Union of Crafters the other day and realized I almost never use my roleplayed tailor's mark anymore. Instead I almost always just pay to remove the markentirely. I'm not sure why I started doing that. Anyway, if designer labels were something that could be added to crafted items in sort of the same way emblazons are (but not via heraldry obviously), that would be very cool and a potential gold sink too, especially if you have to register it, pay extra to have it set onto a piece, colour it, etc. 
    YES. Let Heralds or somebody set up an official design thing for crafters if they want it. And also add CONFIG CRAFTERMARK OFF so I don't have to read "A fancy-ass flower made of fancy gems and shit has been embroidered into every goddamn thing this person has ever made." on everything I look at.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Please no.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Xith said:
    Sylvance said:

Genuinely confused as to how this would address the issue of gold inflation...
  • Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Sylvance said:

If gold goes in, and no gold comes out.... that's a gold sink. Right?
  • Bluef said:
    Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Sylvance said:

I think he's referring to Xith's Wheel tarot idea, which would not be a gold sink because no gold is going in.

• Trey said:
    Bluef said:
    Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Sylvance said:

I think he's referring to Xith's Wheel tarot idea, which would not be a gold sink because no gold is going in.
    That makes so much sense. Thanks. I was lost there for a sec. As per the usual on these forums, I blame @Xith Hashan.
  • edited March 2014
    ninja'd, and just as I was about to break the nested-quotes record

thanks for nothing, @Trey
  • Technically, 20 gold goes into every Tarot, since there's no way (that I know of) to get blanks except through Rurin.

</pedantic>

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Kei said:
    Technically, 20 gold goes into every Tarot, since there's no way (that I know of) to get blanks except through Rurin.

</pedantic>

So, again, probably won't solve the gold inflation issue.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The price of credits in game has risen in conjuction with the inflation of the dollar. That is why they will always get more expensive.

Thanks Obama.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Cardan said:
    Despite the widespread inflation it caused, the brothel in Mhaldor made for a good gold sink until Sartan figured out the Mhaldorians were enjoying the punishments a little too much.
    No, actually I think the inflation was pretty localized to a select few trousers. Good try, though.