Magi Classleads/Skillset

Comments

• NO U

• Saeva said:
    NO U
    The @Hasar is strong with this one.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • lol shut up shecks. 

• actually shecks didn't do too bad a job of summarizing the class there.

Against good, artied fighters magi becomes an RNG or brazier-war class (sigil-war if person wants a mono to tumble to).  If you can brazier enough times and afflict correctly, the passive damage or even knowledge or when to damage will kill most people.  Otherwise you need some serious RNG to throw off eq/strip metawake/stupidity proc/good amnesia tick.  It's a strong class, but requires patience and some luck sometimes.  Lethal because of the RNG aspect, for sure.

• What is RNG?

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    What is RNG?
    here
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jhui said:
    random naked guys
    Knew it. 

• That's why I wear loincloths. 

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited March 2014
    Saeva said:
    Well... cataclysm was supposed to be our answer to LoS but... finding 3 magi in one area? Hah.. only in Cyrene.
    Join Targ, and we'd have three magi on quite a bit!
    Who's the other two?

Saeva said:
    Well... cataclysm was supposed to be our answer to LoS but... finding 3 magi in one area? Hah.. only in Cyrene.
    Also I agree Magi doesn't need Cataclysm anymore, The class being unfun means not many people will be around of that class for the most part. make Firelash purely los and never missing and magi would have enough los imo.

------

as far as magi goes though I think if Retardation was removed and the class was built on another mechanic it wouldn't be so boring in combat..    but some people might actually enjoy magi combat as it is just my personal opinion.

• Caladbolg said:

Saeva said:
    Also I agree Magi doesn't need Cataclysm anymore, The class being unfun means not many people will be around of that class for the most part. make Firelash purely los and never missing and magi would have enough los imo.

NO NO NO NO. Cataclysm should be brought back to an outdoor, area-wide radius. The fact that it's not is, frankly, stupid.

as far as magi goes though I think if Retardation was removed and the class was built on another mechanic it wouldn't be so boring in combat..    but some people might actually enjoy magi combat as it is just my personal opinion.

Again, no. Please, jesus, no. 

• @Caladbolg I honestly have come to enjoy Magi skills how they are now that I'm more familiar with them. Enchanting is boring and sigil wars get a bit irritating. But I'm not one of those innovative types. I'll take what I'm given and work with it best I can. That way nerfs never bum me out too much. On that note...  when your transcendent skill (cataclysm) is pointless 90% of the time, maybe more, it's just a little bit of a bummer.

On the other hand, I enjoy retardation. I don't think it's boring. I think it makes for beautiful moments and nightmares alike. I find it rather interesting.  Saying it's a boring tactic is somewhat like saying absolve or catharsis are boring for priests or apostates and they should have it changed so they can enjoy it more. Just a means to an end. Only this time it can be a blessing or curse for groups.

And I don't know who the other two magi are in Targ. I only know of @Mithridates

• edited March 2014
    I survived prop/beckon into retardation/trample today.  What up.  (/derail)

I think magi just needs the same attention Sylvan got, but they need to wait their turn.  One class overhaul at a time, please.

@Mithridates trolls dodged today: 3
  • Shecks said:
    I survived prop/beckon into retardation/trample today.  What up.
    I thought it was an inescapable killroom. 

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited March 2014
    Saeva said:
    @Caladbolg I honestly have come to enjoy Magi skills how they are now that I'm more familiar with them. Enchanting is boring and sigil wars get a bit irritating. But I'm not one of those innovative types. I'll take what I'm given and work with it best I can. That way nerfs never bum me out too much. On that note...  when your transcendent skill (cataclysm) is pointless 90% of the time, maybe more, it's just a little bit of a bummer.

On the other hand, I enjoy retardation. I don't think it's boring. I think it makes for beautiful moments and nightmares alike. I find it rather interesting.  Saying it's a boring tactic is somewhat like saying absolve or catharsis are boring for priests or apostates and they should have it changed so they can enjoy it more. Just a means to an end. Only this time it can be a blessing or curse for groups.

And I don't know who the other two magi are in Targ. I only know of @Mithridates
    Personally I found retardation boring when I was a magi.. but I also find brokenstar boring for the same reasons..

If people don't understand how things like retardation or Brokenstar work to start with then they don't know how to get out of the easiest setups for those things.

For instance I can kill about half this game or more on a single legbreak, It's fun at first... but then your over powered and it gets boring.      Once you start fighting people who know how to avoid dying to that is when the challenge renters and makes combat exciting again.. Of course this is all just my opinion.

And honestly if you guys are having problems with retardation and need it stronger just go by Lothiac arties. can't even stay in the room with that guy with out dying to passive damage.

• God yes, please nerf Magi. Retardation is clearly OP'd. 

• God yes, please nerf Magi. Retardation is clearly OP'd. 

• Isn't that the consensus?

RETARDATION IS SO LAME, INESCAPABLE KILL ROOM PLZ NERF OMG

• Did anyone say that? Let alone it be the concensus,
  • Jovolo said:
    Did anyone say that? Let alone it be the concensus,
    Yes, that is literally what everyone in this thread has been saying. 

• edited March 2014
    Make retardation respect speed elixir, and give magi a hindrance upgrade.  Fixes retardation laming strategies, while balancing out and overall boosting magi 1v1 combat.

*goes back into forum obscurity, in anticipation of being blasted by every magi who smells nerfs.*

• Shecks said:
    Make retardation respect speed elixir utterly useless for anyone who knows how to def up, and give magi a hindrance upgrade.  Fixes retardation laming strategies Bonko and Earionduil from catching me while I'm bashing, while balancing out and overall boosting magi 1v1 combat.

*goes back into forum obscurity, in anticipation of being blasted by every magi who smells nerfs.*
    ftfy

• edited March 2014
    Jovolo said:
    Did anyone say that? Let alone it be the concensus,
    Yes, that is literally what everyone in this thread has been saying. 

Quotes please, because all I see is the majority of people here saying that Magi need some updates to bring it in line with the sigil spam wars that occur vs Magi today, and that this whole paradigm of sigils Vs Magi has made the class more boring than it should be. People say retardation is powerful, and if you disagree with this, you are just ignorant, but I don't think you disagree with this fact (?).

The consensus is definitely not "Magi need nerfs", so enough with this magi victim class before it becomes the new serpent. Propose some decent classleads if you think you have the answer. (you can just ignore Shecks' silly idea. Smells of troll)
  • edited March 2014
    I was talking more along the lines of having retardation -strip- speed, if up, every 2-ish seconds, and only affect you if it's not up. It would effectively give a 2-second window to leave. Keep in mind magi also have several means of stripping defences.

Combined with a hindrance upgrade this would be a decent upgrade for solo magi combat. Let's get a weigh-in from some other people who have played magi for more than a few weeks (aka not mithridates)
  • Shecks said:
    I was talking more along the lines of having retardation -strip- speed, if up, every 2-ish seconds, and only affect you if it's not up. It would effectively give a 2-second window to leave. Keep in mind magi also have several means of stripping defences. Combined with a hindrance upgrade this would be a decent upgrade for solo magi combat. Let's get a weigh-in from some other people who have played magi for more than a few weeks (aka not mithridates)
    In a 1v1, the magi usually will have to spin retardation and embed it. This already gives you a 2-second window to leave. Upping that to 4 seconds would make Magi only able to kill complete and utter idiots, or newbies who don't know what retardation is.

That would effectively render Magi useless in 1v1. Bad idea is bad!
  • Daeir, no class is fine. Achaea has perpetual bugs and imbalances like any game. The classes who have received the most recent makeover attention (occultist, bard, alchemist) could be considered the most "fine", but since the Eye(tm) is about to fall on Magi, Forestals, and Knights in a sorta big way, we're discussing what actually does need to be changed in Magi.

General consensus: Retardation is not going anywhere, as stated in post #1. However LoS + retardation, probably 3/4 of people agree is unfair and annoying from every angle.

That being said, experienced fighters only lose to the retardation coinflip of having disrupt etc. hit at exactly the right times to prevent tumble and then taking enough damage AND hindering before they get away. You can only spin one set of vibes and spinning them while under fire is dangerous, so you have one shot at your kill and then you basically retreat to spin again.

The big weaknesses are that:
    1. Vibes (appropriately) do not synchronize with ACTIVE abilities in any way that matters outside of retardation. It's appropriate because under retardation active and passive can stack up. But this leaves nothing in particular to capitalize on outside retardation apart from damage stacks, which happen to fall short on people who a) have big health or b) run away
    2. The other issue is that last thing, tanky targets who can't really be hindered. A big culprit is firewall, people are clever enough not to let us put up icewalls, but then they put up firewalls that we have no means of cancelling. Magi need a firewall cancel. Pretty straightforward. Flood would be a fine candidate.
    3. Vibe portability/life. The preparation time and lack of engage doesn't work. Could be any number of solutions: faster spinning time, multiple vibe sets, spinning multiple vibes at once, or a way to hinder the opponent while spinning.
    So for the last time, this isn't the "Magi are awesome and okay" thread.
    I can't think of any other legitimate ideas except the cataclysm proposal. Nobody seems capable of an original thought that doesn't involve bashing the other people in the thread. Constructive means replacing the ideas you shoot down with better ideas.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Oh, also, Xith.... that NO U was not at you. It was at Mithridates and his "come to Targ" post. No need to WTF it

• edited March 2014
    Saeva said:
    Oh, also, Xith.... that NO U was not at you. It was at Mithridates and his "come to Targ" post. No need to WTF it
    That's what forum quotes are for I think. Your WTF appeal has been denied and will stand.
    ;)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.