Artefact for Speaking to On Plane people while Off Plane

Not sure if this has been suggested before - I feel like it has to have been.

I know it wouldn't be something that would get a TON of use but it would be cool to have a little artefact that allowed you to receive tells and see communitcation AND communicate while off plane.

Bad idea?  Decent idea?  Thoughts?

Comments

• Maybe only city mates allies or friends?

Has good application, but would defeat the idea of being "off plane" really.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • ShadracShadrac Denton, TX
    Aye, I can see your point there Eld.

I wasn't thinking of it from the aspect of calling for help - just being able to communicate and not cut off. 

That being said, keeping some areas dangerous like that is a good thing in my opinion.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Agreed with @Eld. Even though I still think it would be cool to have an artefact that only works between two people (kind of like earrings) so they can communicate that way. It makes sense to have an artefact like this so if you're on the offensive off-plane and your target brings their CWHO, you can at least have piece of mind knowing that they probably used the artefact to call for help instead of Skype.
  • Strata said:
    Agreed with @Eld. Even though I still think it would be cool to have an artefact that only works between two people (kind of like earrings) so they can communicate that way. It makes sense to have an artefact like this so if you're on the offensive off-plane and your target brings their CWHO, you can at least have piece of mind knowing that they probably used the artefact to call for help instead of Skype.
    Yeah, having it with a single person would make it basically the same as using messages for those purposes, so wouldn't really make a difference for the danger aspect. But for the same reason, it wouldn't really make much of a difference for the communication aspect, either, so I don't know why you'd buy an artefact like that instead of just using messages.
  • Even if you are the type of player who doesn't use messages for any in-character communication, there's still the artefact mailbox.
  • ShadracShadrac Denton, TX
    Rispok said:
    Even if you are the type of player who doesn't use messages for any in-character communication, there's still the artefact mailbox.
    What's the artifact mailbox?  You mean the whistle that lets you send mail from anywhere?
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited March 2014
    No. Planes are separate from one another for a reason. If it were up to me (and it's a good thing that it's not), I'd go as far as disabling messages while health is above 0 from other planes because I don't like the idea of instantaneous communication between planes.

If you found some way to explain quantum entanglement in-character and wanted to send messages at the cost of 1 letter every 10 seconds, I'd be fine with that though.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

• Jonathin said:
    No. Planes are separate from one another for a reason. If it were up to me (and it's a good thing that it's not), I'd go as far as disabling messages while health is above 0 from other planes because I don't like the idea of instantaneous communication between planes.

If you found some way to explain quantum entanglement in-character and wanted to send messages at the cost of 1 letter every 10 seconds, I'd be fine with that though.
    ...wooormholes?
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited March 2014
    edit: post didn't turn out the way I had wanted!
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I think there are already very few places that you still can't speak with other people on main planes. The only one I can think of right now is the ocean floor when deepsea diving. I don't go to UW or anything, so can't say for there, but other places seems like you already can. Not sure how many people would actually buy something like this, considering the change.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    You can actually talk to people who are away deepsea diving on the ocean floor. Not sure about direct tells, but channels certainly work.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    You can actually talk to people who are away deepsea diving on the ocean floor. Not sure about direct tells, but channels certainly work.
    Pretty sure thats only if you're on the sea as well. My experience has been Land <-> Sea <-> Ocean floor when it comes to communication through any for of channel other than Messages.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Mannimar said:
    Shirszae said:
    Pretty sure thats only if you're on the sea as well. My experience has been Land <-> Sea <-> Ocean floor when it comes to communication through any for of channel other than Messages.
    Ah, you might be right. I was on a ship, just not diving.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Thing is you can channel talk someone at sea but not send tells. It doesn't make sense that way but it has been that way for some time. If anything make sea and land communicate regularly (though it says in the files your talk is restricted to 'the continent', I think), but make distant destinations still impossible. If not, make communication inseparable altogether. This half/half with ships doesn't really make sense, honestly. That and HISTORY (HOUSE) doesn't show ship communications. It seems like a mistake to begin with.
    *Animated Signature*

• This already exists and is called Skype.

Duh.
  • I could swear I've sent tells between ship and land recently.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Jiraishin said:
    I could swear I've sent tells between ship and land recently.
    You can, as long as the comm screen isn't up.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Yeah, ships don't interfere with tells. Diving still does, though, which might be what @Soulfyriani meant. I don't remember if channels still get through there or not.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    No, channels don't go through while you're under the sea.

Also, taking this opportunity to rant about how annoying it is that communication isn't blocked to islands now. Up north in the tundra, whatever, that's fine, you're on the same continent. But now I try to vaca on Zanzibaar and everything just follows me. Sigh. I -liked- my quiet escapes!