Triton and Vertani as playable races

I think it's time these two races were made playable. The Vertani have been in Achaea long enough for them to start entering Sapience culture/society, and while Tritons are a bit more rare, they have been spotted around Sapience before. Both races have plenty of RP potential. I know the staff is super busy with things but adding these two races down the road would be awesome.

Comments

• Aktillum said:
    I think it's time these two races were made playable. The Vertani have been in Achaea long enough for them to start entering Sapience culture/society, and while Tritons are a bit more rare, they have been spotted around Sapience before. Both races have plenty of RP potential. I know the staff is super busy with things but adding these two races down the road would be awesome.
    New races would be s much fun. I like the idea of tritons a lot. Maybe it is a throwback to WoW, but I really want to play an orc too. 
  • Meh

• Eld said:
    Not opposed to the idea of new races, necessarily, but both of these seem to be too generally at odds with the rest of "humanity" at this stage to make much sense as potential citizens of the main cities.

Vertani have been around for a long time, but isolated; nothing wrong with having them slowly integrate, necessarily, but the recent event with the expansion of Tir Murann seems to indicate movement in the opposite direction on that front. 

Tritons have been around, but it would likely be an exceedingly small number who would consider dwelling above ground (if it's possible? Not sure if they have problems being out of water for long periods), even among those who interact civilly with the land dwellers. If you make them a player race, it seems like you'd need to force anyone who wanted to be one to play an iconoclast/outcast/whatever in order to avoid just throwing out a major part of the curent rp with them.
    To be fair, don't a few player races have somewhat outcast natures as well? Mhun come to mind, but I feel like Horkval might be a bit far-flung too. I dunno enough lore to know about the others though...
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Mhun aren't as outcast as they used to be. In regards to Vertani, aren't these pretty much giants? That's the impression I got from what I remember reading about them, rather.

• I would love to have Vertani as a playable race that starts with some advantage like all stats are 13, but if you die, that's it, and you don't get any investment you may or may not have made returned.  Throwaway alt city!

Not serious, but I think a hardcore mode would be amusing.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Normally, I'd refuse on the grounds of combat balance, but now that race advantages have been relatively balanced, I now am adopting an ambivalent stance towards the idea.

New race emotes are what I'm looking for, anyway.

(I forget - are Tritons bipedal or do they have a fishtail for their lower half?)

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Synbios Bipedal
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Would love:

Half Orc

Orc

Goblin

Halfling

A fae type race something like fairy style

Vertani

Undead

Salamander etc

More that I can't think of
  • I'm assuming there's some meaning of 'Salamander' here besides the animal? Because right now I have this really hilarious image of a tiny, spear-wielding lizard-thing being stepped on by a Vertani who doesn't know it's there.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Aren't the things in Everren castle Salamanders?
  • Salamandrins.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Kryptonian and Jedi races.
    *Animated Signature*

• Drow

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • How about Imp as a playable race. They're one of the first denizen types most players encounter.. assuming you go to Minia.
  • Kaie said:
    How about Imp as a playable race. They're one of the first denizen types most players encounter.. assuming you go to Minia.
    I went to Lodi, I want wildcats and gnomes.
  • edited March 2014
    Imp, wildcats, and gnomes have the same issue that Vertani do RP-wise in terms of clothes, armor, and so on. See my question above about it. I want to know how much of an RP problem people think this is. All of the current races are roughly the same size by design, barring dwarves..... Maybe this just isn't an issue.

We could 'believably' support multiple race sizes (small, normal, large, for instance) and have clothing/armor all targeted at one of the sizes, but that doesn't really work unless we get rid of race changing, as it's just annoying to be changing race frequently and having to have multiple sets of clothing/armor/etc to fit different race sizes.

• I have seen 4ft Dwarves and Trolls taller than Riley (he's 9ft), so the size issue does not really seem to big a deal. Why does it fit? Magick

It goes along with we have Wings, Tails, and Hooves to deal with, and I have only seen Xorani tails really addressed in clothing with special pants to accommodate their tails.
  • @Sarapis‌ Racist Against Drow. -10

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Drow reminds me of Tsol'teth, so technically.......
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Amusingly, this was the character depiction of my drow from the first MUD that I played. Carmain would be proud of dem brows.
    I was kind of glad that they didn't exist in Achaea though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Penwize said:
    I don't really think getting rid of race changing would be a bad thing now that racial specs are in, but why not go the half-way point?  Change the gem to be spec and self-rez only, and hike up the dagger of reincarnation's cost to something that prevents casual race changing (say, 300cr).  That way reincarnation still exists, but becomes harder and thus it's easier to build up some racial RP.  I think letting players change aspects of their character is important in a game like this, and we see it all the time when players switch cities, orders, classes, etc.  It can also be an interesting point of RP.

Though, that said, I've used my gem as a prop for my character's story as well, so I suppose there are advantages both ways.
    I always had the thought that the gem/daggers should be re-worked pretty much as Penwize has said. With the implementation of racial specialization, I see no huge drawbacks to making racial choice more special. I don't think the ship has sailed, @Sarapis! Maybe open a poll to see player's opinion on making races more inclusive, like the way you want them to?
  • Alynna said:

Penwize said:
    I don't really think getting rid of race changing would be a bad thing now that racial specs are in, but why not go the half-way point?  Change the gem to be spec and self-rez only, and hike up the dagger of reincarnation's cost to something that prevents casual race changing (say, 300cr).  That way reincarnation still exists, but becomes harder and thus it's easier to build up some racial RP.  I think letting players change aspects of their character is important in a game like this, and we see it all the time when players switch cities, orders, classes, etc.  It can also be an interesting point of RP.

Though, that said, I've used my gem as a prop for my character's story as well, so I suppose there are advantages both ways.
    I always had the thought that the gem/daggers should be re-worked pretty much as Penwize has said. With the implementation of racial specialization, I see no huge drawbacks to making racial choice more special. I don't think the ship has sailed, @Sarapis! Maybe open a poll to see player's opinion on making races more inclusive, like the way you want them to?
    Would probably have to be an in-game poll, not everyone plays around on the forums while meditating back willpower like I do :P