Fishing?

AnnwylAnnwyl Vancouver, B.C.
I've just returned after years away from the game and am getting used to things. For some reason, I can't fish, despite having Transcendent Survival abilities. "Bait hook with worm" returns "What do you wish to use as bait?" every time. I have a pole. I have worms and minnows. I can take them from the bucket but can't put them on a hook. Others seem to have no difficulty.

Is there a problem that I'm just not seeing or understanding?

Comments

• Do you have an alias set for "bait"?
  • AnnwylAnnwyl Vancouver, B.C.
    edited March 2014
    Yes, I do, but it doesn't matter whether I use it or type everything in myself. I started out typing everything, and when that didn't work, I checked and discovered that I had an alias. I used that and still got the same result.
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    Annwyl said:
    Yes, I do, but it doesn't matter whether I use it or type everything in myself. I started out typing everything, and when that didn't work, I checked and discovered that I had an alias. I used that and still got the same result.
    I set myself an alias to match yours (bait - bait hook with) and did some tests.

I can replicate your error when I type 'bait hook with worm' - This is because of the alias.
    When I type 'bait worm', it works - again, because of the alias.

Generally speaking, creating aliases for game commands and calling them the same thing as game commands isn't a crash hot idea as it will cause weird problems like this.

If you're still having trouble with it, submit a BUG in game and include what commands you're using and what the messages you're getting are and we can take a look into it further for you.
  • To expand on why precisely this is an issue:

If you alias 'bait' with 'bait hook with' then send 'bait hook with worm' to the game it expands out the 'bait' part and it ends up as 'bait hook with hook with worm'.

Similarly if you just send 'bait worm' you end up with 'bait hook with worm'
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    generally what I always found a decent thing to make aliases with is just taking the first letter of each word, just make sure it doesn't overwrite already existing server commands, like QW or BW
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Just to clarify - you have an in-game alias for the command "bait" if you're trying to use a client-side alias, you're going to end up sending BAIT HOOK WITH HOOK WITH WORM - you'll probably want to delete the in-game alias if you're using something in your client.
  • AnnwylAnnwyl Vancouver, B.C.
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the info.

My alias is actually "bh" not "bait." What I used to do with it is type bh minnow (or whatever the bait was) and it would:
    get minnow from bucket
    bait hook with minnow

And that doesn't work anymore. After more than 6 years, why would it? ;-) 

Today, I find that I can do it manually, and that I need to type bait minnow to get it to work. 

There are no help files about writing an alias that does more than one thing and I don't know much about coding, anyway, so I can't edit the old alias, but I deleted it since it doesn't work. 

I'd forgotten that this is a game for programmers and coders. I'd also forgotten how stupid this game could make me feel! Ah, well..... 
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    HELP ALIAS will give you some help on the in-game alias system!

Just do AL (or ALIASLIST) then CLEARALIAS <alias>