Finding the elusive RP.

LyoshaLyosha northeastern tennessee.

There should be some sort of website like eHarmony for Achaean players seeking roleplay. How do/did you find it, that lovely group of people/that place to roleplay in/with? And what advice might you give newcomers who'd like to find it for themselves? 'Cause personally, I'm just itching for a balance between roleplaying and gaming. 

I mean, Achaea is obviously the perfect place for roleplaying. The descriptions are absolutely [i]gorgeous[/i]––it set the stage for my own writing style in my early days of playing. The culture is intricate; the memberbase is plentiful; and it's so effing complex, it's a whole 'nother world in itself.  Is there a thread – or would anyone be [i]interested[/i] in a thread? – where players can inquire about finding someone to play [insert role here] to their character? I.e. the rival to their martyr? 
"Individually we are weak, like a single twig. But as a bundle, we form a mighty faggot."

LGBTQ OOC clan, IG. Syntax: CLANHELP PRIDE.

Comments

• Exactly. I've had some very fun interactions by basically nudging someone after they showed up on deathsight, for example, or taking a public post and just sending them a tell about it.

If you have a house or a city, figure out where they meet and just go there and talk to people in your org sitting around (e.g. Occultists in Fire and Spice, Ashtan at Battlememts, I think Targossas at their Farrier's yard?)

I'm general, what I've found is that people won't poke you unless you make a name for yourself somehow, and one way to do that is to poke people and just interact with them first, word will get around.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I run into similar problems because of not being able to be around as much as I used to; I think letting others know that you (1) are around and (2) are active is important (as Jurixe says).

I like doing simple things to 'add' to general conversations and occasions! It could be smiling a little differently, or showing off your quirkiness by how you're shy and retiring, or whatever. Meeting new people (like in the thing we call real life) opens up lots of possibilities (although of course not everyone is going to be your friend). It could be a spontaneous thing ('let's go have some food' or 'your cat's pretty, let's talk about that') or a planned event ('let's go to this lecture/party/gathering'). Some people will no doubt be more willing than others to interact with you, so if it doesn't work out the first few (or many) times, don't give up hope! 

Hopefully you find some new and fun RP experiences!

• I'd say most things that apply to actual relationships apply to IG ones as well, find something in common and let it develop from there.  You can be just like anyone else in life, and I think that's the point.  Want the attention? Go fish for it, some sap delightful person out there will reward you with it.  Want to be normal more restrained? Leave it on a person by person basis and if it takes off right away great, if not, let it simmer.
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited March 2014
    Back stories are nice as well are character flaws. As people have mentioned. Just mingle. Be around. And yes...emotes help. A lot. Find things i. Common with people. Like any friendship. Rp takes a life of its own many times as other players add on top of your rp. Which waaaaaay more fun than just doing it all on your own. And when the other player's rp intermingles with yoour own is pretty awesome too. As @jurixe said. Selfish rp is no fun for others. So yeah. What they said.

Edit:Cant collect my thoughts...bleh

• @Strata is an RP master. Talk to him. 

• Scarlatti said:
    And if Someone happens to be paying attention, role playing by yourself is a helpful cue that you're open to someone or something else jumping in.
    I try this all the time, with no luck. :(

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Mithridates I always found that sending a tell to key NPC's gets a relatively quick reply. For example, if I send a tell to Dusk, not too long later he starts replying to me. So give something like that a go?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I grumble at Irisa (the blackjack dealer in Targossas) all the time when she cheats (deals me bad cards), and have had responses a few times. She did insult my jousting though, and I just didn't think that was necessary (goddamn RNG).
  • Can I get an RP event centered around me plz

• LyoshaLyosha northeastern tennessee.
    edited March 2014

I try this all the time, with no luck :(

Come play with me!
    "Individually we are weak, like a single twig. But as a bundle, we form a mighty faggot."

• Scarlatti said:
    And if Someone happens to be paying attention, role playing by yourself is a helpful cue that you're open to someone or something else jumping in.
    I try this all the time, with no luck. :(
    I've gotten no response far more often than I've responses, even when I was HL and I was desperately seeking advice from our tutor. Not that I blame Scarlatti, I'm sure if I had gone straight to him, he would have been very helpful. I just wanted it to come thru the tutor.

Anyways, don't lose hope: where I struggled as a HL to get spontaneous denizen interation, I had an awesome conversation with what's-her-face in Matsuhama's temple on immortality in my newb days. I've also, since becoming a nobody in Eleusis, had some epic interactions with Twilight. So don't lose hope; you may not get interaction when you want it, but when it comes, it will be worth the wait.
    I'm adoring Cyrene as far as roleplaying goes @Scarlatti, plus the Bard class and Ty Bierdd house. Lyosha doesn't feel as excluded as he did previously o: <3

• Scarlatti‌ has -awesome- spontaneous RP. I've been periodically trying to snag a little more of his attention IC, but I'm guessing so is half the game :P And someone who's successfully managed to annoy him, for all she knows, is likely low on that list!

@Lyosha Sorry you got kind of excluded in Occultists, but I'm glad you found something better in the bards. If I wasn't so married to Tarot, I'd so do that, too, because bard honestly looks pretty fun. Say hi sometime if you come across Kei loitering around Cyrene, she'll take some time to stop and chat almost any time :D

• @Kei is my elusive RP =3
    Random prodding is awesome. Even cross-faction.

Well, not excluded. More like .. awkward, hah. Kind of like Alcaro felt in Mhaldor.

• Siduri said:

@Kei is my elusive RP =3

Random prodding is awesome. Even cross-faction.
    Hey now, you're the sneaky Serpent type! And you've also surprised me more than once by showing up out of nowhere and we have a two hour chat. <3

(Random prodding is more fun cross faction, when the other side plays along.)