Minecraft

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I wish bukkit was updated.
  • If wishes were fishes, Phaestus would be groaning.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • edited October 2012
    Are you guys using Classic or the new version? I don't think I want to buy it.

Anyway, playing Classic. Let's see what all this hype is about!

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • edited October 2012
    We're using the current version, which is the one you would pay for. That said, it IS worth the price!

For the curious, we're just waiting on a stable bukkit update for the server. (Because this kind of coding is beyond my expertise and frankly, I don't want to have play with the bugs.) Looks like they're working on pushing it ASAP, according to this post, so it shouldn't be long.

ETA: I found I couldn't login to the server after my client updated, so that could be part of the reason why it's a bit ghost town at the moment. The alternative would be to switch to a vanilla 1.4 server without bukkit, but that would eliminate plugins and potentially let in griefers, which is why I haven't done it.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• same for me really, since 1.4 I'm unable to get into the server at all. I don't really mind about starting a new map though, got some cool new ideas for builds. That map really was the first attempt at building stuff, and i'd be glad to see the back of that bloody church. Only sad point would be that I couldn't finish building Riparium, I had a road and a tree, and even some wheat underwater! But i'd do it next time so it's not a big issue
  • edited October 2012
    Actually Jhae, Vanilla 1.4 won't let in any griefers that I'm aware. It will require trust on all our parts though, as the plugin that locks chests will be disabled.  I may be able to find an alternative, but anyone joining the server would have to join with the mod installed.  However, I really recommend the vanilla version, because I honestly dislike all the game-changing plugins.  I wouldn't be averse to something like mo creatures though, as I believe it will be updated to 1.4 in the near future.

• I've actually gone back and dug up an experimental build for 1.4 that should be relatively safe to use for the server, but I'm still quite open to a new map if everyone wants it.  I -DO- want to get rid of mcmmo though. I feel like it's giving us waaaay to many benefits overall.  Anyways, the server will be updated to 1.4 as soon as me and Jhae can get together to work on updating the bukkit build.

Now that midterms and such are over for me, I should have quite a bit more time to play and work on improving the server from a plugin standpoint.  I'll work on updating all of our current plugins and see if I can't junk some of the stuff that we don't use.  I would like to hear back from you guys on the topic of McMMO though.

One final thought.  If we roll a new server, do you guys want to take our currently gathered supplies with us? I'd honestly want to just completely start over if we remove McMMO. I feel like I've gained too many supplies from it honestly, and I wouldn't feel right in keeping them if we remove it.

• edited October 2012
    Also, for those of you wanting to play on the server now:

http://www.minecraftmine.org/minecraft-1-3-2-jar-download/

You can use that to replace your current minecraft jar in the %APPDATA% folder.

Edit:The follow may or may not be coming to a Minecraft server near you!

edited October 2012
    Moar creeps and weirdos? I'd say I will trust if we want to run the new map on 1.4 vanilla.

Also, get rid of McMMO, gives too many advantages. I prefer a full vanilla play of minecraft. I'm an oddball though.
  • If we wanted to run the map on vanilla, we could do that right now. As I said though, I've found a developmental build for 1.4 bukkit, so we could load that. It's just a matter of what do you guys want to keep? Do you want to keep the old map? Old plugins?   Also, that's Mo creatures, but close! The maker FINALLY is updating again. Mo Weirdos hasn't been updated in forever sadly.

@Erasariel Classic is honestly nothing like the modern day minecraft. Classic will simply let you build with random blocks.  The fun part of MC is the process of building up your base through your own efforts.

@Kazu, hence my want for a vanilla server. (Building up your base through your own efforts)

New map. No plugins. Whitelisted. The only mod I'd even think of putting in, Ninja mod. Only because I want to be one.
  • @Daslin That's perfectly fine in theory, but there are a couple of problems that I can see happening if we remove everything.

1. Creepers start exploding everywhere and the server is just a mess.
    2. Random lightning strike sets a jungle on fire and crashes the entire server.
    3. Someone steals something from someone's chest, and I never hear the end of it.

It'd honestly be simpler to just remove the plugins that are causing you to feel that way, which are likely McMMO and the shop plugin.  The shop plugin could honestly be kept and we remove the admin shop to limit the inflow of items.  On the other hand, we could just remove the shop plugin altogether and switch back to a barter system, using a generally accepted item as currency, like gold.

If we are going to revert to as vanilla as possible, I'd like to keep the following plugins:

Essentials - Creeper and fire protection as well as general commands and home setting.
    Lockette - Chest locking.
    BorderGuard - Sets a border on the world so that it doesn't get too big and lag.
    Mobarena - Just something fun to do with limited item rewards.
    Logblock - Undoing mass damage to the server
    SkyChest - Just a sorting plugin, not necessary but I like it. Open to removal.
    Craftipedia - Never have to look up a recipe again, assuming I can fix it now that I'm focused.
    Iconomy - Basic Currency support
    Chestshop - Shop using the above.

I'd be open to removing those bottom 4 though, and I fully support the removal of KonseptGate (teleporters), McMMO (leveling and item generation) and Citizens (NPC's that are barely used).

Honestly, if we could get rid of the bottom four, and just be easy on the other things, it'd be cool. I mean, I understand the creeper and lightning thing, and lockette(people are inherently worried about theft) Large damage fixing, that's cool. I mean, it's mostly just the "non-minecraft" type things that bother me, I guess.
  • My concern is more with the fire crashing the server and creepers making a mess of the countryside. (There are ways of hiding and protecting your chests from the casual observer, and if anyone is being THAT griefy, they'll get booted.) That said, I'm more used to playing with creepers being the full threat that they're supposed to be and I don't really have an issue with playing vanilla if that's where we want to go.

Admittedly, I liked how McMMO made it possible for me to get supplies that I wouldn't otherwise get (like glowstone) and sped up the gathering process, but that has more to do with how I like to play than anything else. Not something I couldn't live without.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• My brother owns Minecraft. I can use his account from the 11th of November and onwards. Is the Nagaraja Emeritus welcome?
  • Frankly, I've been meaning to bring up McMMO recently, but I've been distracted by midterms.  I'm pretty well established in most of the major levels, such as excavation, and I have to say the upper benefits are much too good. I'd say that I easily get 2-3 times the ore I would normally get just from having a high level of mining.  On top of that, fortune picks with the already double drops make it ridiculously OP.  I also just noted that I've started getting diamonds for digging as well, likely due to my excavation level.

@Jhaeli It's just that lockette is such a lightweight plugin that takes very little data storage, and doesn't really change the game much unless you someone was planning on snooping in others' stuff. I too have usually traditionally played with creeper damage on, but I know some people haven't.  I'm just worried that certain people will just start randomly walking each and every way, and we'll end up with a bunch of craters that they didn't fix.

How about this, if we go full vanilla, I'll fix any and all craters I see, and brought to my attention?
  • Tvistor said:
    My brother owns Minecraft. I can use his account from the 11th of November and onwards. Is the Nagaraja Emeritus welcome?
    Of course. PM or post with the minecraft username when you get a chance.

@Kazu Yeah, that's my concern too when it comes to creeper damage. On the other hand, we don't have that huge of a population so it may or may not end up being a big deal.

• @Daslin

That still leaves fire damage though, as it comes in the same plugin as the creeper damage one...will you replant all the forests when they burn down?  Bear in mind that you will have to endure horrendous lag while you do so.

True. i thought lightning only struck around players?
  • It could strike and you might not be aware of it. Chunks are loaded for a certain amount of time around a player usually. I'd rather not chance it honestly.

true. I guess as vanilla as possible isn't bad. So long as we don't have anything super odd going on.
  • The server is now updated to 1.4! There's been a few changes to go along with this:

+ The old map is gone (although I have a backup), with a fresh one for everyone to play in.  We did this based on feedback from this thread and those who spoke with Kazu. If you like hills, you'll like the area around spawn - Kazu has also already found a village nearby. Remember the rules of courtesy; it's first come, first serve for great spots but there's a whole map to explore to find your perfect home!

+ Many plugins were removed, leaving the ones that Kazu listed above. Some will need updating, likely.

+ THIS IS A DEVELOPMENTAL BUILD - in other words, the bukkit update isn't a stable one, although this one is pretty good as far as developmentals go and we don't have too many fancy plugins that are likely to cause problems. Most seem to be working fine based on bukkit community feedback. However, there IS a potential for bugs. If you find one, please MSG me through Achaea or email me through the contact form on http://writtenmagic.ca, both of which I usually receive faster than anywhere else so that I can take a look at what caused the crash. If the bug doesn't cause a crash but is still doing something funny, just stop doing it. Please and thanks.

• I don't know what a bukkit is, but we shall build a castle and I will call it Mhaldor.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited November 2012
    Just started on Minecraft (someone introduced me to it). Sounds like you guys have a server for it, @Jhaeli. Can you add me? I'm Eleneimich. What's the server address?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• It's back on page 3, I'm too laz-

[commercial break]

216.246.108.66:25665

Assuming they haven't changed it, which I doubt they would considering they never said anything.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Again, I keep the info here: http://writtenmagic.ca/achaean-mc-server/ Just in case anyone else needs it!

And you've been whitelisted, @Ruth!

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited November 2012
    Thanks @Jhaeli!

How do I get to a non-safe zone anyway?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

I donated for ya Jhaeli!
  • @ruth what do you mean by non-safe zone?