Combat Balancing

2»

Comments

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Lilian said:
    Dorn said:
    Caladbolg said:
    Naisar said:
    Lol @Caladbolg Blademaster bands are one of the best artefacts in the game, not to mention being exceptionally cost-effective.

@Naah I think Runewarden is one of the best classes to try and break into upper tier without artefacts.

Artefacts have huge impacts on pacing.  It's easy to be flippant about their effects, especially if you're not on the receiving end.  But Achaea is balanced around high damage & healing respective to health totals, so small percentage differentials can cause much larger swings than other games.  The other thing to remember is that a lot of Achaea revolves around the execution of your finisher.  Sure that +2 strength artie might not make the difference between a Paladin being able to DSL you to death, or kill you with the disembowel, but his prep will be painful enough that it delays your own setup significantly.  Even if artefacts don't directly cause wins, the benefits they provide can completely change the character of the fight, and that's just considering those with small passive bonuses.
    Actually I fought Strata with out it on accident the other day and didn't even realize it was missing. Instead of preping at 3 legslashes to each leg he preped at 3 legslashes and 1 compass to each. Since the extra damage doesn't really do much for me while fighting him. ..and most people.. and the extra speed is nice, but isn't actually required in a brokenstar combo. I'll just start fighting people with it off and see if I notice much of a difference... If I can get the break points setup right in the limb counter >_>
    Assuming you slash at ~2s (you probably slash faster, but 2 is a nice number to work with), that's going from 12s to prep to 16s to prep, the band saves you 25% of your prep time. That's pretty significant. And the band also makes each slash faster, so it's actually going from 12s to around 17-18s I'd estimate. The band is saving you nearly a third of your prep time at that point.

Then it'll also shave off a fraction of a second on the break/prone, allowing you to impale that little bit faster, and potentially secure a second impale while one leg is still broken, allowing more bladetwists if you need them.

I'm assuming you're using my limbcounter? It should have an option thing set up to just change what band you're using in the scripts, so tracking it in the limbcounter becomes relatively easy.
    Your counter for whatever reason is off with break passes that seem to change based on health levels ... Someone with 4000 health breaks totally different then someone with 4200 for instance and it's hard to find consistancy with that (And I have my counter set to fire) - so I imagine that is the trouble he is having as well. Sometimes setting the break point one higher or lower fixes it, sometimes not. It's really bizzare.
    Pretty much this. break points are so weird lately I spend more time trying to figure out what people break at then doing actual combat against them. Which might be why I find speed not that important at this point. my fights have been dragging on 5-10x times longer than they would normally because I can't come up with what people are breaking at and resetting legs for half the fight.. But I also plan around people knowing how to avoid brokenstar and thus the speed added to impale doesn't effect my calculations because I expect them to run as soon as they stand, which tested with and with out a band still gives them or still removes the chance to stand.

But that's just my theory.

• Yeah, trying to nail down the exact break thresholds was a nightmare. I basically gave up and set it to what I found worked 'most' of the time.

A theory that I think @Tael and I bandied about was that the health thresholds moved about based on average health or something every set period of time, which would honestly make it a nightmare to figure out. While I doubt that, there's definitely something I can't account for somewhere that keeps throwing the numbers off.

I mean, I've had the same person with no max health changes be break 9 one day and break 10 the next...
  • Yeah this is why I just gave up and got limbprobe. It help with when the counter wants to be picky and then it's just a matter of going "Will I break the leg if I compass slash it once to put it at limbprobe's damage values"
  • From what I gathered, limbprobe wasn't very useful? Like, only gave you one of four or five messages to know what the damage state was?

S'why I didn't try to redo all my damage values when it was released, from what I heard it wasn't really accurate enough to make the effort worthwhile.

'Course, if you can get more accurate numbers, feel free to update the counter with them, or fling them my way for an 'official' update, inasmuch as my system has any kind of officialness. Officiality? Officiacy?
  • Dorn said:
    From what I gathered, limbprobe wasn't very useful? Like, only gave you one of four or five messages to know what the damage state was?

S'why I didn't try to redo all my damage values when it was released, from what I heard it wasn't really accurate enough to make the effort worthwhile.

'Course, if you can get more accurate numbers, feel free to update the counter with them, or fling them my way for an 'official' update, inasmuch as my system has any kind of officialness. Officiality? Officiacy?
    It's not fine-grained enough to be especially useful for figuring out limb counter numbers, no. Can be useful for rough estimates, picking up on fake applies, figuring out which limb broke if the counter says they should both be prepped but unbroken, etc.
  • Eld said:
    Dorn said:
    From what I gathered, limbprobe wasn't very useful? Like, only gave you one of four or five messages to know what the damage state was?

It's not fine-grained enough to be especially useful for figuring out limb counter numbers, no. Can be useful for rough estimates, picking up on fake applies, figuring out which limb broke if the counter says they should both be prepped but unbroken, etc.
    Yeah I use it for this pretty much, fake applys and seeing if a limb broke when it shouldn't off. It's helped quiet a bit, but I didn't think it would much help in figuring out exact numbers. Plus I only have a level one band, so I could only really test unbanded and with fire. (Plus I aint good with numbers.)