a possible idea?

I'm thinking maybe like how Runescape and World of Warcraft offers not only an online type of deal for their premium memberships, they also offer special cards from places like Wal-mart to buy and redeem for similar benefits, so that those of us who are antsy about putting our Credit Card info online or don't actually -own- credit cards or something for our younger members who might also drop money into IRE, and be able to buy things like months of the IRE membership without needing either to dread sending check or money orders in the mail, requiring to give a credit card, or investing into a third party that they may have issues with using like Paypal...

anyone else think this might be a good idea?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Just mail them a bag full of cash.  I'm sure they'll love it.
  • the reason I'm interested in this being a possibility is that I personally don't like Paypal, AND I don't like using my credit card online. Something like this would mean I can just drop some cash without having to risk the U.S. postal system fucking me over (let's face it, the U.S. Postal system's statistics pointedly state that letters containing actual money are the number one most lost letters), and it's almost as quick, not having to spend a few weeks pacing a room hoping that the letter wasn't lost in the mail or something. 
  • Xeran said:
    the reason I'm interested in this being a possibility is that I personally don't like Paypal, AND I don't like using my credit card online. Something like this would mean I can just drop some cash without having to risk the U.S. postal system fucking me over (let's face it, the U.S. Postal system's statistics pointedly state that letters containing actual money are the number one most lost letters), and it's almost as quick, not having to spend a few weeks pacing a room hoping that the letter wasn't lost in the mail or something. 
    The solution to you not liking Paypal isn't for them to have a huge outlay of money to reach the minor market that you're wanting. It really is a simple mathematical unlikelihood. They'd need to accept losing a LOT more money than they're willing to make, which as a business model, would lead to IRE closing, which none of us want.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • Also, I'm pretty sure you can use western union to pay, which seems kinda the same as what you want.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • I'm a little curious about why you have a paypal phobia.

On a completely separate note, lets set up bitcoins for credits!  We can call them BitCredits.
  • Shecks said:

I'm a little curious about why you have a paypal phobia.

On a completely separate note, lets set up bitcoins for credits!  We can call them BitCredits.
    I was actually considering asking about that. It'd be awesome if IRE began to accept bitcoin as a form of payment.
  • It'll never happen.
  • Shecks said:
    It'll never happen.
    Actually, Sarapis has stated that he's potentially interested in making it happen.
  • Bitcoin's been devalued so much :(

Plus, ole uncle sam's got a vendetta against it. 

• There are Check and Cash or money order payment options on the credit purchase page. If you don't want to use paypal or a credit card there are already options available to you and supported by IRE that don't result in additional costs for them.
  • Alcinae said:
    I'm a little curious about why you have a paypal phobia.

I was actually considering asking about that. It'd be awesome if IRE began to accept bitcoin as a form of payment.
    Will be happening soonish.
  • Cooper said:
    Go buy a visa card from Walmart and use that if you're paranoid about every other form of payment.
    I'm nerdy enough that I got the AMEX prepaid card that League of Legends was doing (serve card or something?) Though I guess I'm not the only one nerdy around here, when my Walmart cashier recognized Teemo. ;))
    meh

• edited February 2014
    It'd be fantastic for marketing but I don't know exactly how much money would be returned or whether there is any allotment in the IRE budget for that sort of starting investment. If anything I'd recommend testing the waters in the pacific northwest where I believe there are more players.

The minimum purchase would probably have to be around $50 and give 2 months of Iron Elite to feel more cost effective, although stocking some 500 credit bundles cards just to show people the game is expensive... probably also necessary.

I know the producers are working on increasing retention. Sarapis said if numbers grow enough we could see a reduction in credit price, but I don't know if Achaea's design will ever foster a WoW or LoL level of players. They'd have to increase the production team by the same factor to maintain the quality we're all used to. Plus it's adult-oriented, so catering to people without credit cards or bank accounts is... yeah.

EDIT: Why would anyone be scared of PayPal?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Paypal had quite a few growing pains, and some people are still a bit gun shy.

• Nemutaur said:
    Xith said:

EDIT: Why would anyone be scared of PayPal?
    Because when the time comes and they are vetting you for vice president of the United States and they find out you used Paypal to buy credits in Achaea they'll obviously dig deeper. Now imagine they create an 18 year old Siren alt and figure out the you are hanging around Minia like a creeper? Better to buy those credits with Bitcoin and keep everything here secret!

EDIT: Or I could be watching too much House of Cards and maybe the fees just don't seem fair?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Using a credit card is one of the safest ways to make purchases online (yes, safer than PayPal).